SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Additional raw water intake to supplement saildrive intake.

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  HUGOSALT 
#1 ·
1980 Ericson 25+. Saildrive.
I have seen comment elsewhere about this on other boats and would like anyone's thoughts. I am never confident that I am drawing enough water from the saildrive leg. I will clean out from the bottom of the saildrive next month to see if anything is growing in there, but I wondered about giving it an assist. Below sink, I have a thru hull that I believe was the intake for the foot pump for the sink. The thru hull is closed and the hose is cut and plugged (prior owner stuff) - so, it is not being used. I'd like to put a hose on that thru hull and make it feed my raw water needs. I could just run it, I guess and stop using the saildrive intake, or I could run both into a Y and have some combined good flow; or I could run to a Y and toggle between one source or the other. Sounds simple to me, but whenever something sounds simple, I'm concerned. Any thoughts?
Greg

#2 ·
Good number of saildrive owners have by-passed saildrive leg for
their raw water intake. Should use reinforced hose as hose
walls can collapse with suction...also want to install in line strainer.
Then decide which is the lesser evil...leaving sea cocc open and risk
problem when your away from boat or forgetting to open before
starting motor. ...Some leave keys on sea cocc as reminder.

Have not by-passed mine yet but have to keep clean
with having bottom cleaned often and diving occasionally.

If you were to toggle between two intakes you might find one
sometimes clogged if not used often.

In any case until you change make sure your overheating
alarm/lights are working.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.