SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Anchor Roller Location (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/84031-anchor-roller-location.html)

swokrams 02-17-2012 11:02 PM

Anchor Roller Location

Hi folks.

I am mounting an anchor roller on my 1975 Sabre 28. Do anchors have to be deployed at the very tip of the bow? How about a few feet back on the starboard side? It would sure make grappling with the anchor a lot safer if it wasn't at the narrow-est part of the bow. The bow railing on my early model Sabre is not very good. Backing off a few feet from the very tip of the boat to the starboard or port side would be much more secure.

Steve

rats - i can't seem to upload a picture. do i need special permission?

Lake Superior Sailor 02-17-2012 11:24 PM

I have seen a lot of boats with two & anchors on both so why not?..Dale

SloopJonB 02-17-2012 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swokrams (Post 833091)
Hi folks.

I am mounting an anchor roller on my 1975 Sabre 28. Do anchors have to be deployed at the very tip of the bow? How about a few feet back on the starboard side? It would sure make grappling with the anchor a lot safer if it wasn't at the narrow-est part of the bow. The bow railing on my early model Sabre is not very good. Backing off a few feet from the very tip of the boat to the starboard or port side would be much more secure. Steve

One thing to consider if you mount it well back on one side - as the boat swings at anchor it might tend to saw across the stem, chafing the rode and wearing away at the hull gel coat.

souljour2000 02-18-2012 12:49 AM

This is a subject that seems to lend itself to a myriad of opinion almost as much as the subject of which anchor(s) is best type...anyways..I'm listening as dealing with anchors is one of the most important and yet potentially frustrating segments of a sailboat trip as one deals with anchors getting underway when one is impatient to begin the journey and then again...at the end of the day when one is impatient to end the journey due to possibly being tired...having the best possible set-up and regimen for implementing that regimen is a big part of having a good day on the water or not...so as I said ..I'm listening and hoping to hear from those more experienced than I ...

knotted 02-18-2012 01:35 AM

It's in the Bow Eye & Snubber...

Quote:

Originally Posted by SloopJonB (Post 833116)
One thing to consider if you mount it well back on one side - as the boat swings at anchor it might tend to saw across the stem, chafing the rode and wearing away at the hull gel coat.

or worse, chain eating into the stem until it sinks the boat! :eek:

The solution to this is to install a bow eye about 6 inches above the waterline, with a snubber (1 size smaller than your rode) permanently attached to the eye and brought to a forward deck cleat. Dave Gerr designed this for Imagine (I know, a motor cruiser, but it's still a very good idea!)

If you're anchoring single handed, you bring the anchor and rode outside of everything and back to the pulpit for storage and lowering from the cockpit.

Alternatively, you could have your 'chain locker' just about anywhere, as the attachment point of the rode to the boat is the bow eye; the location where the rode goes over the side is immaterial so long as the snubber holds and the rode has sufficient slack up to the snubber. (Possibly could have a 'chain locker' and anchor storage in the cockpit area?)

After setting the anchor, you attach the free end of the snubber to the rode (devil's claw on chain, or rolling hitch or stevedore's hitch on rope) and pay out the rode until the load is taken by the snubber and there is sufficient slack in the rode between the winch/samson post/chain stopper on deck, and the snubber attachment point at the bow eye.

On weighing anchor, winch in the rode as you motor or sail up to the anchor, remove the snubber from the rode and re-cleat the free end, and continue winching in the rode.

Obviously, the bow eye needs to be both adequately strong, and properly secured through the stem, so as to not pull apart or pull out under any anticipated loading. If the snubber parts, of course the boat is still held by the anchor rode.

The benefits: required scope is reduced by 5x, 7x or 10x the height from waterline to deck; the pull on the anchor is better directed being somewhat closer to horizontal; and perhaps most importantly, there is very little possibility of (1) chain jumping out of the cleat and sawing through toe rail, gunwale and down the topside, (2) the snubber overheating and or weakening through chafe at the cleat, and (3) the rode causing damage to dolphin striker or bob-stay, or being chafed through by either of them, if you have one.

Cheers to Dave Gerr for the idea!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Quote:

"You start with an empty cup of experience and a full barrel of luck. The trick is to fill your cup before the barrel runs dry." - bljones
Still on the hard, but definitely getting wet this year!

killarney_sailor 02-18-2012 10:34 AM

I did this a number of years ago

Quote:

Originally Posted by knotted (Post 833134)
or worse, chain eating into the stem until it sinks the boat! :eek:

The solution to this is to install a bow eye about 6 inches above the waterline, with a snubber (1 size smaller than your rode) permanently attached to the eye and brought to a forward deck cleat. Dave Gerr designed this for Imagine (I know, a motor cruiser, but it's still a very good idea!)

[/SIZE]

I did this on my Niagara 35 many years ago. I had a sort of V-shaped stainless fitting made that went around the bow and was bolted through both sides to large fender washers so it would be very strong (there could be extremely high jerking loads on this so it needs to be very strong.

It works very well once you are anchored for sure. One downside - we had many helpful folks warning us about the line we had 'dragging' when they past us and the snubber was pulled on deck and tied down. It sort of looks like a dock line hanging down unless you see that it is attached just above the waterline.

souljour2000 02-18-2012 11:19 AM

That seems like a really good idea...thanks killarney...I did this with trailer sailors a few times as they always have a pad eye down low for the trailer winch...

Faster 02-18-2012 12:06 PM

To the OP, you could mount the roller further aft for access and easier retrieval of the anchor, but there's no rule that says you need to leave the rode in the roller once you're settled in... Also depending on anchor size and the deck arrangement (ie locker or no; cleats and/or chocks etc), another question is do you need/wish to store the anchor on the roller?

On smaller boats I've seen a roller mounted as you suggest, but the rode is fed over a standard bow chock or lead until you're actually hoisting or deploying the anchor, at which time you move to the roller. If the anchor is stored in a well that should work well enough. I've also seen once where someone fabricated a temporary roller that hooked over the toerail wherever was convenient, and it went into the locker when all was stowed.

One advantage of having the roller right at the stem, though, is the reduced risk of the anchor swinging into the topsides when it pops out of the water and dinging the gel coat - esp on boats like the Sabre with decent bow overhangs... moving aft to the more vertical topsides could risk some unsightly damage, esp if it's a dark hull....

swokrams 02-19-2012 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SloopJonB (Post 833116)

This would only be 2 to 3 feet back from the bow. I think this might be OK. I was wondering about current pushing more sideways on the boat as the boat would not be pointing directly into the current.

-Steve

swokrams 02-19-2012 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by souljour2000 (Post 833129)
This is a subject that seems to lend itself to a myriad of opinion almost as much as the subject of which anchor(s) is best type...anyways..I'm listening as dealing with anchors is one of the most important and yet potentially frustrating segments of a sailboat trip as one deals with anchors getting underway when one is impatient to begin the journey and then again...at the end of the day when one is impatient to end the journey due to possibly being tired...having the best possible set-up and regimen for implementing that regimen is a big part of having a good day on the water or not...so as I said ..I'm listening and hoping to hear from those more experienced than I ...

Yup. Anchors weigh a lot, are extremely awkward to handle, and are located far from the security of the cockpit. My next boat will have a windlass.
-Steve