Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
A bit involved but maybe worth trying.
You are trying to build up a smooth epoxy layer. What if the epoxy hardened in an absolutely smooth surface that required little or no sanding?
I've had some luck with this method on smaller repairs.
Get a mold release agent McLube : Mold Release and some panels of plexiglass that will fit over the flat sections you are coating. Lay the epoxy on as evenly as possible then spray the mold release on one side of the plexi and lay the plexi down on the epoxy. Use some weights if you have to so the plexi sits flat and comfortably while covering the epoxy. Once the epoxy hardens you should be able to remove the plexi (hopefully in one piece) leaving a smooth surface that needs little or no sanding.
This technique works pretty well with Bondo as well.
Other plastic panels should also work for making mold shapes. I've used thin plywood (1/16") so it could be bent to match the shape of a hull but it is hard to get all the ply off the epoxy once hardened which leaves you with some sanding to do.
YMMV
Great idea with small projects and inside the hull, but it might be tough to do on the topsides of a dinghy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-18-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Great idea with small projects and inside the hull, but it might be tough to do on the topsides of a dinghy.
Agreed.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-18-2012

davidpm is on a distinguished road
This is a finished model of what I'm trying to build.
Attached Thumbnails
coating with epoxy-s9nestedwithoars.jpg  
Old 02-18-2012

Chkm8 is on a distinguished road
David .. Really cool .. I used to build little 7 ft prams for fly fishing out of door skins and 1/2 inch cedar ribs and transom ... Just need enough epoxy to get good seal, then I used good marine varnish ... they look so great and weigh nothing wish I still had pics
Old 02-18-2012

david, I have been contemplating building one of those... a lot. In fact, everytime I retire to the porcelain library and open a dog-eared copy of Small Boats, it magically seems to fall open to this page.

On a barely related note,this just came up for sale locally:

Shellback dinghy - City of Toronto Sailboats For Sale - Kijiji City of Toronto Canada.

I've already built a small dinghy. I am building a 25' cruising catamaran. I have just started building a 9' catamaran dinghy. I don't NEED another small boat, especially one that is too long and too narrow to be a good tender, and I definitely don't have room for another small boat and I prefer building them to buying them...
....but damn it's tempting. Small boats are an addiction.

Old 02-18-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
???????????????????????? Can you elaborate?
Easy hon.. don't have a stroke!
-----------------

WEST SYSTEM - Projects - Testing house paint primers

Paint options over epoxy 603-435-7199

CASE STUDY: Real Life examples and fixes.

During the spring of 2011 I painted the bottom of an epoxy and varnish coated boat with rustoleum brand enamel. The enamel dried fine over the spar varnish but not over the epoxy were it stayed tacky for days and days, until I dragged the boat out into the hot summer sun for several days. After a series of experiments I discovered the 'enamel problem' happened when applied to epoxies containing nonyl phenol (most epoxies do - our Premium No Blush epoxy does not).The epoxy surfaces were cured from several days to several weeks prior to the application of the enamel and still the problem existed. I suspect that given a month or so of epoxy 'cure time' the problem would not occur (or we would hear about this problem all the time).The use of additional drying agent additives into the enamel helped a little bit. Location of the tests was New Hampshire. Temperatures in the 60s, 70s, 80s with dew points always over 60 degrees.

In there fall of 2011 I repeated my testing. Temperatures where now in the 40s and 50s and the dew points also now well below 50 degrees. Surprisingly the problem with the nonyl phenol containing epoxies had vanished. It would appear that the issue is caused by moisture (high dew point) in the air. The enamel dried quickly on the hard non porous epoxiy sufaces and not so fast on high solvent based coatings/primers (including Kilz primer (tm) and spray can enamel - especially when applied thickly over masking tape). I think the slow drying in the fall tests is temperature (solvent evaporation) related.

Summary of Alkyd Enamel potential problems

Warm and Humid Conditions (dew point over 50 F?) - Stay away from epoxies containing Nonyl Phenol under the enamel which will impede full drying. Prime Nonyl Phenol surfaces with either spar varnish, aluthane, Premium No Blush epoxy (which has no nonyl phenol), or Water Bond - water based epoxy primer prior to an enamel topcoat.

Cool Fall Conditions - Stay away from High Solvent spray paints and Primers under the enamel which will impede full drying. Epoxies with or without Nonyl Phenol, spar varnish or aluthane prior to an enamel topcoat.

Rcommendations for Surfaces to be painted with Alkyd (oil based) Enamels (under entire range of conditions)

1) do project with an non - Nonyl Phenol epoxy (like Premium No Blush) - or topcoat the epoxy with our Water Prime (pigmented water based epoxy paint)

2) prime the nonyl phenol epoxy with Spar Varnish prior to enamel topcoat. Varnish is easy to work with and smells nice. Has UV protection for epoxies. Downside: probably modest (but more than suitable) adhesion and durability. Amber color.

3) prime the nonyl phenol epoxy with our aluthane aluminum filled moisture cured coating. Advantages: can be applied in vry warm or cold conditions, amazing adhesion/bonding, aluminum color shows flaws in underlying surfaces and when sanded high spots turn darker in color.

------

my current "project"!
Old 02-18-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
BJ if that shellback dink isn't sold, at the price it's being sold for, it's barely the cost of materials! woo hoo!

my current "project"!
Old 02-18-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

David, I really like the spindrift designs!

My son moved away so The canoe and boat building came to an end about 5 yrs ago. After a couple of plywood kayaks, 5 or 6 strip canoes and a few other boat projects I was in love, every morning I'd spray varnish behind my ears! (kidding of course) shellfish with cedar flavor from the steam box is missed also! After the ribs were all bent over the form.

Atkins vintage Photos of Vintage
I want to build someday. Just love lapstrake boats.
davidpm likes this.

my current "project"!
Old 02-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
BJ if that shellback dink isn't sold, at the price it's being sold for, it's barely the cost of materials! woo hoo!
No kidding, huh?

Old 02-18-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
No kidding, huh?
I'd hope the builder didn't used underlayment instead of Okume plywood LOL

my current "project"!