Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-20-2012

Amateur_Expert is on a distinguished road
Laguna Windrose 18 Weight (re axle

Good Morning,
I hope this is the right section for this.
I am working on a '74 Laguna Windrose 18. Yesterday while servicing the trailer hubs I found one of the spindles to be completely shot, never seen one this bad! Anyhow I want to replace the axle (as opposed to just the spindle so it will run true).

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW MUCH THIS BOAT WEIGHS?? I have looked and looked. Is there a trick to figure boat weight via the displacement (1500# displacement). I want to replace with an axle that is beefy enough.

Also on another note regarding the axle if anyone has any input... the trailer has a drop axle and is installed ON TOP of the leaf springs. This is it can still sit low while allowing room for the keel. I am having a hard time finding an appropriate shaped drop axle so was considering a straight axle and mounting it below the spring (in order to provide keel clearance). Would the strait axle be ok? I know it would sit a bit higher but I suppose thats allright.

Thanks a million
Shawn T
Wichita KS
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-20-2012

Lake Superior Sailor is on a distinguished road
Just take old axle to weld shop have it done and it will be better than you buy new-- American made!------Dale
Where God got it done!
Old 02-20-2012

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Question # ?

For most small pocket cruisers, the "weight" and the Displacement will be pretty much the same, for your purposes.

That given weight sounds a tad heavy for an 18 footer, BTW.
(I recall from somewhere in the depths of old memories that a SJ-21 weights about 1250 and a Ranger 20 weighs 1550#.)

L
Old 02-20-2012

Amateur_Expert is on a distinguished road
Thanks Lake. I'm with you on American Made. Do you know if Redneck Trailer would use Chinese axles? They are nationwide but we have one here in Wichita. It seems they may have what I need for $250 with a drop center, galvanized 3500#.

Using a weld shop was my first idea but they are thinking $150 and they even recommend a new one was the best way to go. I also want it to run true.

Thanks for the reply Olson.
My only concern is indeed on weight. Trailer shop tells me that since I have a 5-bolt hub that there is no way it's more that 3500#. I'm hoping that's right. Since you have to include the trailer weight in the calculations I hear and I know my keel is 440#, and the trailer is a guess-timate at at least a 1000#... so would I be safe to assume the boat itself weighs no more than 2000# is the question I guess.

With your input on the weight of the other ones I would say I'm safe with a 3500# axle.

Also I seem some guys say that changing the axle position makes it sit up higher. Plus I also hear that you have to weld new spring seats since you cannot "flip" the axle over - never thought about that.
Old 02-20-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur_Expert View Post
DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW MUCH THIS BOAT WEIGHS?? I have looked and looked. Is there a trick to figure boat weight via the displacement (1500# displacement). I want to replace with an axle that is beefy enough.
Archimedes said that the displacement IS the weight of the boat. You just have to add on the weight of gear you carry on board - outboard, gas, cooler etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Tags
axle , laguna , trailer , windrsoe