Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-21-2012

andyeiv is on a distinguished road
23 Ft Catalina - Bottom Paint Job Time

I am planning to give my Catalina a new bottom paint job in a couple of weeks. I've been going through a few threads and found a lot of info on repainting and moving the boat around on the trailer, but I haven't found much on how time intensive it is.

Maybe you guys can give me an idea on:
> How long would sanding take?
> Is there anything you can think of against using a palm-sander?
> How long does the actual bottom paint job take?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-21-2012

jsaronson is on a distinguished road
The stuff is toxic, so you need a very good respirator and probably protective clothing. Time depends on condition and how long your arms can take it. Rolling the paint is the easy part with a long handled roller.
Old 03-06-2012

ppiccolo1 is on a distinguished road
Re: 23 Ft Catalina - Bottom Paint Job Time

I was told to use a sanding pole with 80 grit instead of a random orbit sander, the dust is supposed to be pretty toxic stuff. I'm doing my 1st one in a couple of weeks on a catalina 25' I figure an hour of sanding and 1/2 hr per coat.?
Old 03-06-2012

Hudsonian is on a distinguished road

Scuffing the paint to promote better adhesion sanding and wiping down the bottom with solvent only take a couple of hours. If using a palm sander Connect it to a shop vacuum with a HEPA filter on the discharge. I was not satisfied when I used a drywall sanding mesh on a pole. Your personal protective gear should include tyvek coveralls, and a half-mask respirator. Taping the water line always takes longer than I estimate. Apply the paint with 7" (or smaller) roller on a pole. If using an ablative paint you may wish to paint the water line and areas where the pennants chafe and then apply a second coat when you're painting the entire bottom.
Old 03-07-2012

ppiccolo1 is on a distinguished road

I hadn't considered a solvent wipe-down, just a pressure wash. What do you recommend using?
Old 03-07-2012

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough

The amount of time it takes to sand the bottom can take anywhere between 1 hour and 3-4 days, depending on the condition of the old bottom paint. If it's smooth and just needs a light sanding, an hour would be enough. If it has 15-20 years of accumulated layers of paint, and is peeling badly, then plan on 3-4 days to strip it all off and start anew.

If you have to strip it all off, you can have it soda blasted, or you can do it yourself by scraping it with a sharp scraping tool, or you can use a chemical paint stripper (not the same stripper used for house paint. Get a stripper especially designed for stripping paint from fiberglass.)

Rolling on each coat of bottom paint takes about 60-90 minutes. I use a 5" foam roller, because it puts on a smoother coat of paint, and wastes less paint than a fluffy roller with a thicker nap. When you're paying $130.-200. per gallon, saving paint is a valid concern. I use a high-end ablative paint, because it will save labor in the future. I usually don't use an extension. I prefer to get under the boat, closer to my work, where I can see how smoothly the paint is going on, but that's a matter of personal preference.

I highly recommend that you get a box of surgical gloves at the local drugstore. Don't get latex gloves. Get vinyl gloves. They cost about $10-15 per 100. They will stand up to the strong solvents without disintegrating, and, if you have to answer the phone, you can peel them off and throw them away, and the cost will be inconsequential.

I have wiped the paint with acetone, but don't like it because it is nasty stuff. I prefer to wipe it down with a tack cloth. It seems to do a good job of removing the sanding dust.

Last edited by Sailormon6; 03-07-2012 at 07:39 AM.
Old 03-07-2012

Hudsonian is on a distinguished road

The paint can should say what to use for the wipe down. Wiping down will you permit to work faster than using a pressure washer; by the time that you've finished wiping down the second side the first should be ready for masking.
Old 03-07-2012
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

I have never used a solvent wipe down, just a wash off with fresh water.

As others have said I would not commit to a time to do the sanding until you had seen the stae of the old AF. Minimum time though would be 2 -3 hours to do a good wet sand on a boat that size. Wash off allow to dry and roll on two coats.

An easy days work if the AF substrate is sound. All bets are off if it is lumpy and flaky though.
Old 03-07-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road

If using an ablative bottom paint, Mainesail recommended to me that one use a different color than the underlying substrate. This allows you to see where the paint is wearing off, and touch it up at the next haul out possibly extending its use. An extra coat should be applied at the waterline and all leading edges, as they tend to wear faster. He also suggested using a 1/4 inch thick roller to conserve paint.