SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Fuel Monitor Floscan - Yanmar 62hp (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/84263-fuel-monitor-floscan-yanmar-62hp.html)

dougshipl 02-24-2012 01:14 AM

Fuel Monitor Floscan - Yanmar 62hp

I am in the market for a fuel monitoring system and recently looked at the FloScan 7500. Does anyone have experience with FloScan...or others? All comments greatly appreciated. Thx

neverknow 02-24-2012 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dougshipl (Post 836069)
I am in the market for a fuel monitoring system and recently looked at the FloScan 7500. Does anyone have experience with FloScan...or others? All comments greatly appreciated. Thx

We have owned a flow scan for nearly 20yrs. We bought it to use on a single gas engine in 1992. In 2008 we bought our current boat that has twin gas engines in it.

Rather than buy a new unit I called Flowscan and was surprised that they took my old unit in and rebuilt it set it up for twins for a fraction of the price of buying a new system.

They did not have to do this. They saved us a ton of money. Their tech support was great also. Any problems just call them. You'll be able to talk to the guys who know the system.

I would not even consider any other company.

I think they now have systems that feed NEMA data also.

As far a accuracy, we were always within 1-2%.

Hope this helps.

neverknow 02-24-2012 01:31 AM

I'd also like to add that we'd not ever go without a fuel monitor system. We keep a log book and can always tell you within a few gallons just how much fuel we have.

When we finally move to sailboats we'll have a flowscan on board for sure.

neverknow 02-24-2012 01:46 AM

I'd like to add that we found it interesting that you could watch the GPH and RPM's on the same gauge. With this we could find the best speed to run at. With fuel prices as high as they are this alone can save enough to quickly pay for the gauge.

On a sailboat you can use the gauge to see if motor-sailing really is helping or not.

tommays 02-24-2012 09:05 AM

Its a bit harder on the diesel due to the fuel being returned to the tank :)

neverknow 02-24-2012 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommays (Post 836125)
Its a bit harder on the diesel due to the fuel being returned to the tank :)

It's not any different than a gas engine with EFI. They use 2 flow sensors.

dougshipl 03-05-2012 11:39 PM

Re: Fuel Monitor Floscan - Yanmar 62hp

Neverknow and Tommays, thank you so much for your replies. Your comment about the gph and rpm at a glance is a very good point as I was trying to justify the additional $. Makes perfect sense.

neverknow 03-05-2012 11:47 PM

Re: Fuel Monitor Floscan - Yanmar 62hp

Be sure to report back if you put one in.