Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2012

stevensuf is on a distinguished road
plastimo kobra 2, very well priced and gets great results in most tests

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-2012

INMA is on a distinguished road
I use a fortress SX7 with 8 meters of 5mm chain and 50 meters of 10mm nylon rope on my 24 foot trailerable yacht.

I also have a Manson Plough with 10 meters of 10mm chain and 50 meters of 10mm nylon line.

The plough anchor is used on weed and hard bottoms where the weight is needed to develop hold.

The Fortress is used on mud and sand bottoms where the anchor will dig in deep and hold.

I am not sure about all the other brands mentioned but having had the Fortress hold overnight with big winds then taken a long time to haul it because it had a huge lump of mud the size of a wheelbarrow stuck to it; I sleep well with the Fortress, it works and its light weight is a bonus for my aging body.

All the chain mentioned would be fine with a windlass but hauling it aboard manually in a rough anchorage would not be my favourite task.

I mainly anchor in very well sheltered anchorages for ease of anchoring and comfort. An 800kg 24 foot yacht is not comfortable in the more exposed anchorages.
Old 02-27-2012

jfdubu is on a distinguished road
I use a 15lb bruce knock off w/20' of 5/16 ht chain and "not sure how many ft of 1/2" three braid rode. 28' boat at 8k loaded. Never had any troubles hitting and holding with this set-up even in 35 knot winds in Great salt Pond, BI. And my boat swings like a $3 --, you get the point. IMHO you can't beat a bruce lb for lb.

John
Old 02-27-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
You are half right

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfdubu View Post
I use a 15lb bruce knock off w/20' of 5/16 ht chain and "not sure how many ft of 1/2" three braid rode. 28' boat at 8k loaded. IMHO you can't beat a bruce lb for lb.

John
Pound for pound you certainly can beat a Bruce - even a real one. On the other hand, dollar for dollar a Bruce knock-off does pretty well.
Old 02-27-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
I have a 7.5kg/16.5lb bruce knock off also on my 28' 7K boat, 15' of chain, and 250' of 3 strand, no issues in puget sound. Never dragged etc. Now a danforth style.......I've tossed all of them! never again, even for a race bouy! As said, if you get a wind/current shift, they seem to not want to reset.

I may at some future time up the chain one size along with 30'. I'm not planning on going to a 10Kg size any time soon. Altho I am looking for a 5kg size and 5-10' of chain to use for "race rule/spec" need the anchor on the bow. Keep the big boy below. As also said, one needs to know the "HOW" you plan to use the anchor as much as the style. I will say, in puget sound, many many bruce style anchors on the bows of boats.

Another local a few months back spent an enormous amount of time trying to set an aluminum fortress for RC duty. not sure it is what I want either, except for the "race" spec or a stern anchor/kedge type situation. Once set, specs show it to be a solid holding anchor!

Marty
Old 02-29-2012

ccriders is on a distinguished road
Thanks to everyone for your responses. I've concluded the following:
1. 30 ft of 1/4" hi test chain
2. 250 ft of 1/2" 8-strand rode
3. Manson Supreme 25 lbs.
Here on the Texas coast a very typical scenario is for the wind to move from the dominant southeast into the south and then quickly veer to north as a front passes through to then settle into the northeast. While one should probably have two anchors out for this kind of situation, it sounds like the Manson Supreme is capable of handling the wind shifts.

So not the new question to Manson Supreme users; "What is the best bow roller for the Supreme?"
John