SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Which Anchor? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/84278-anchor.html)

ccriders 02-24-2012 12:56 PM

Which Anchor?

Which anchor would you choose? I sail a 1976 Pearson 28, fin keel, 7850 lbs displacement, fairly high freeboard. I normally anchor in mud, but who knows what I may find. My current set-up is a no name danforth style anchor with 5 feet of chain (coated) and 200 feet of 7/16 3-strand nylon, which came with the boat. I figure that this is the minimum set-up for normal conditions. I would like to add a more robust system giving me more confidence that I'm secure when the wind gets up unexpectedly in the middle of the night.
Which ever anchor I choose, I plan to use 15 feet of 1/4 inch Hi G4 Hi-test chain (uncoated) and 1/2 inch 8-strand plaited rode.
The anchors I'm considering are:
Danforth high tensile 12 pounds,
Fortress FX 16 10 pounds,
Manson 25 25 pounds,
I left out the CQR at 25 pounds as the Manson seems to get superior reviews and costs way less.
So, what do think? Is this system sufficient for the high wind conditions we normally experience here in South Texas?
John
p.s. I'm now over 68 and not as robust as in the past and have to be able to handle the anchor alone.:confused:

Tim R. 02-24-2012 01:02 PM

I used a Bruce very successfully on my '76 Pearosn 28 but today I would buy a Manson Supreme. It is what I use now and the holding power in mud is unbelievable.

killarney_sailor 02-24-2012 01:47 PM

I have a Mansom Supreme (they make other anchors so I a not certain that this is the one you are referring to) and have been very pleased with it. On the other hand, one big advantage of the Fortress is lightness, including the fact that they do not recommend a great deal of chain be used with their anchors. They are good anchors and the light weight is a consideration.

If you plan to use an anchor roller make sure that the anchor you want to use will fit nicely on it. One advantage of CQRs and Bruces is that they fit on rollers well. With some of the others you have to experiment to see.

SloopJonB 02-24-2012 04:33 PM

FWIW, I have never heard anyone complain about a Bruce anchor, for any reason.

When I checked their website (when they still sold small anchors) I was stunned by the small sizing recommendations. For my 22k Lbs boat they listed 10Kg for a working anchor and 20Kg for a storm anchor. These seemed to be about 1/2 of what the "conventional wisdom" would specify.

I can't see any reason why a manufacturer would even get close to under-specifying an anchor weight- if anything, they'd go high - more profit and less risk to their rep.

DoubleEnder 02-24-2012 04:55 PM

My opinion....Manson Supreme no question.

Just be careful when you set it. It grabs...quick. I have also had luck with the real Bruce anchors when they were available. But the new age anchors like the Manson are the best today. I hate CQR's.... but I have some for sale. ;)

For what its worth.

Brian

tdw 02-24-2012 05:09 PM

I'm with Killarney. If you want to use such a short piece of chain with rope then Fortress would seem to be the way to go.

We love Bruce on our current boat and happy with Rocna on our previous. Our CQR on PB was good for everything except sand where it was rubbish.

By choice I'd go Spade, Mansen Supreme, Rocna not necessarily in that order but Spade first pick other than on price.

Skipk 02-24-2012 05:19 PM

44lb bruce, 200 feet of 5/16" chain. Danforth 12H on 250 feet of braided nylon. 44lb delta (weeds). Fortress off stern if needed, and big fortress in bilge for storms. Five anchors each with own rode. five to one minimum scope for chain and seven to one for nylon. straight out from Cap'n Fatty's latest book, How to Inexpensively and Safely Buy Outfit and Sail a Small Vessel Around the World.

skip

klem 02-24-2012 06:04 PM

You need to define what the anchor needs to do before you can correctly answer this question. Do you plan to go full time cruising and want this to be your main anchor? Are you a daysailor only and need an anchor so that you can occasionally stop for lunch? Is this part of your storm or severe thunderstorm plan?

If you are looking at an anchor to go full time cruising with, I would argue that it also needs to be able to hold your boat during a severe thunderstorm. An example set of specifications for your boat might be:
Sets first time
Stays set in a wind shift
Has a minimum of 1500lbs of holding power in a decent bottom (this is a hard number to give and it is even harder to say definitively whether the anchor has the holding power)
Weight?
Cost?
Fits bow roller/stows well in locker?
Durable

If you take the specifications that I outlined above, the only anchor that would meet all of them is the manson supreme 25lb in my opinion. The danforth and the fortress will not reliably stay set during a wind shift. If you are planning on spending the night at anchor, you really need something that will stay set even if there is a large windshift in the middle of the night.

However, if you daysail or cruise and never spend the night on the hook, you may select a different anchor. If you are cost sensitive, the danforth would be best. If you want something with a lot of holding power for thunderstorms or squalls but don't care about the anchors veering ability, you might choose the fortress.

For reference, many cruisers choose something like the manson supreme as their main anchor but keep a fortress as their second anchor because it stows well and has tremendous straight line holding power.

SVAuspicious 02-24-2012 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SloopJonB (Post 836341)
FWIW, I have never heard anyone complain about a Bruce anchor, for any reason.

You're kidding, right?

jimrafford 02-24-2012 07:31 PM

If you want to sleep thru the night 15' of chain is half of what you should have at a minimum. Your chain is a big factor in your anchors holding power.
Leave the danforth type anchors to lunch anchoring. Yank on of those at 90 degrees in a gust a see what happens. The tow boat guys love them.
I have a cqr but would buy the Manson in a heartbeat
Jim