Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-25-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
2.5hp outboard engines: The best?

I need to buy a small 4 stroke outboard engine and I want your advice about it.

I used for many years a Tohatsu small 2 stroke engine that had give me full satisfaction and never give a problem, but now we have to use 4st engines and that one is out of question.

4st engines are a lot heavier and that rules out anything except the smaller ones, with a weight between 15 and 19kg.

I have tried the Honda and I did not like it: Makes an infernal noise.

Have heard that the small Yamaha has sometimes trouble in starting.

Heard good things about the Suzuki.

and nothing about the Tohatsu, Selva, or about the several Chinese inexpensive one.

Low weight, easy start, low noise and of course trouble free are the main requirements for me and I guess for everyone, not to mention price, of course.

So, who was information to share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-25-2012

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
For an engine that small, what about a torqeedo electric outboard? They are expensive but not having to carry fuel would be a big plus in my book. For long term cruising they may not be the best answer, but weekends they would be ideal.

torqeedo: Produktübersicht

I used to own the Honda 2 hp, being only air cooled it was loud, and I found it very sensitive to fuel, cold, anything but perfect conditions, hated the thing

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by T37Chef; 02-25-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-25-2012

dabnis is on a distinguished road
I have had a Honda 2HP for over 20 years. Still runs perfectly after being run hard for that time. Don't know how to compare the noise issue but it has never bothered me. Has a lot of thrust, driving a 12 foot Jon boat with two people and fishing gear at 5.4 mph per the GPS, weighs 27 lbs and uses almost one pint of gas for about four hours of trolling. Based on my experience I would buy another one.

Paul T

Forgot this, we are at 6,700 feet elevation so it is down somewhat on power compared to sea level.

Last edited by dabnis; 02-25-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old 02-25-2012

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road
I'm on the same search PCP, and have pretty much decided on a new 3.5 hp Tohatsu. I've decided against the Honda 2 hp b/c of the noise. It looks great, but it is air cooled, hence the noise.

I seriously considered the Torqeedo Travel. Love the idea of no gasoline, and the aesthetics of low noise and renewal power seems great. But the limited range, and very high cost (could by two or three new gas engines for the same price) has led me back to the Tohatsu 3.5.
Old 02-25-2012
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
I bought a new Yamaha 4hp which is very similar to the smaller hp models (single cylinder). Hated it for several reasons (loud, hard start, finicky). Sold it at a loss just to get rid of it and bought a used two stroke. Love it. Sorry I can't offer a good suggestion PCP, maybe they have been improved in the last two years, hope so.

Edit: I have a friend that bought a new Torqeedo, he's had trouble with it, not sure exactly what all the problems have been but we could only get it to work intermittently the one time I was out with him on his Hobie and it was less than a year old. Replacement batteries are REALLY expensive I guess.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Last edited by jrd22; 02-25-2012 at 12:00 PM.
Old 02-25-2012

LakeSuperiorGeezer is on a distinguished road
On the Honda, wear ear plugs. Corrosion inside the engine is not a problem with air cooling, although I have to admit that the stainless steels they use in some of the modern outboards is an improvement
Old 02-25-2012

Leocat66 is on a distinguished road
Am I to understand that you are not allowed to use the 2 stroke motors any longer or that you just do not wish to do so? We still have a 2.5 merc, 2 stroke, which has been just perfect on our 6'8" Montgomery dink. Weight is the main consideration for us.

Evinrude has the small E-Tec engines which are 2 stroke but EPA approved as related to emissions issues. They seem to be lighter than the 4 stroke engines. My neighbor has a larger E-Tec and loves it. It is now 5 years old and has had no issues.

Last edited by Leocat66; 02-25-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old 02-25-2012

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Love my Yamaha 2hp 2-stroke. Light (22 lbs) and reliable.
Old 02-25-2012

john madill is on a distinguished road
2.5hp outboards..here's a gamechanger....

here's something very new, a propane-powered outboard:

Propane powered Outboard Marine Engine, 2.5HP, Short Shaft (Lehr) - Four-Stroke Outboards

i have no connection to west marine or the makers of this motor but it sounds interesting.

reviews i've read said it always starts on the first pull, no priming or choking involved, no gas to get stale or gum up the carb.

i have the Honda 2hp and live with the noise. what i don't like about the Honda is not having neutral. the centrifugal clutch is nice but is not an honest neutral until the motor has warmed up.
Old 02-25-2012

Siamese is on a distinguished road
I've used my new Suzuki 2.5 for one season. I like it. I had no problems with it, but I have only one season as a reference.

Pro:
Good runnablilty
Plenty of power for moving my 7' inflatable
nice controls
easy to service (change oil)
lightweight..easy to move from sternrail to dinghy in water

Con:
The noise...seemed pleasant enough at first, like my old Honda Trail 90 from 1966. A quieter two cylinder four stroke engine would be awesome, but likely too expensive. In this power range, you just have to deal with the racket and vibration. I should add that the Suzuki is no noisier than its competition.

I can certainly recommend the Suzuki 2.5, based on my experience.

The main downside to these small motors, IMO, is their vulnerability to stale gas. Carbs with tiny jets that tend to get clogged up. The shelf life of modern gasoline is not long, maybe 4 to 6 weeks before it begins to go bad. More, but not indefinite if you use fuel stabilizer. That's a problem for most of who don't use our little outboards all the time. I try to avoid problems by putting a little stabilizer in the outboard's tank when I'm done using it for a couple weeks or more and letting the engine run until the carb is empty. I pour leftover fuel from my two gallon red jerry can into my car. Next time I plan to cruise and use the 2.5, I get fresh fuel for it. With these little engines, it's ALL about the fuel.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.