SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Which instrument package?

4K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  stephens84 
#1 ·
I''m about to upgrade my boat''s instruments, and I''ve seen two package deals listed on the Sailnet store site, each a little more than $1100.

One is the ubiquitous Raymarine ST60 wind/speed/depth trio: all digital, does VMG, truewind, and would be linkable to my same brand tillerpilot.

The other is a Navman package of wind/speed/depth, but the wind direction is analog, and I haven''t been able to find whether it''ll give a true wind reading, and it says it''ll do VMG, but I''m not sure- the descriptions look vague. But it does come with an extra repeater display, which interests me.

Does anybody have any experience with the Navman setup? You like? Other pros/cons versus the ST60 package? It''s been a while since I used the ST60 stuff, but I seem to remember them working just fine. Anybody with more recent thoughts?

And I know some of you have this stuff all linked to a laptop so you can download and re-live the day''s sail, in realtime, even, and program the microwave oven from the cockpit, and it''ll give you target speeds, wally speeds, and even the V3 shroud tension. I''m not into any of that!

Thanks!
-Chad

See less See more
#2 ·
I''ve been using the Raymarine ST60 line for a while now. Wind, speed & depth ("Tridata" instrument) and autopilot. Also have a "Multi" display which is a repeater down below at the nav station, which repeats the data at the helm. It has worked well for me. Raymarine support has been great for me, also (We have had some lightning challenges). Also have their radar. ANd recently upgraded to one of their color chartplotters. So, I''ve been happy with the line.
I understand Navman makes good instruments, but I have no personal experience with them.

#3 ·
I''ve been using the Nexus system for the last season and have been very happy with it. I use two multi-displays, one analog wind direction, and one GPS repeater. The total package ran around 2,000USD. I think Nexus is the mid-point in the instrument quality thing. Splitting the price difference from your mass marketed "Packages" and the B&G''s and Okams of the world.

#4 ·
Thanks for the responses.

I hadn''t found any Navman info previously, but did find their website after my post. The system is very similar in funtion to the ST60 package, looks a little more stylish (my opinion), but doesn''t come with transducers.

I ended up ordering the ST60 package. I need the extra repeater less than the $$ I would need to spend for the transducers.

-Chad

#5 ·
If you ever need a repeater for the ST60 line, there are several options that are relatively easy to add. The Multi display links via Seatalk and can display what the other instruments do. Also Raymarine autopilots have repeat of other displays and most info can be displayed. And you can link via seatalk to a Raymarine chart plotter or radar or even a PC with Raytech S/W, and get the same displays. All add $$$, but are do-able. (I have all of these--gadget freek!!).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.