Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-26-2012

nodders is on a distinguished road
replacing lifelines

Am looking at the 723 or so projects I need to do on my boat and one of them is to replace the lifelines - they are looking tired and the coating over the wire has become brittle.

Question - being the cheap person that I am, can I remove the lifeline fittings from the existing wire and replace with new wire? |Thus saving buying what are rather expensive fittings.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Many people are now replacing lifelines with Dyneema 'rope'..

Here's a discussion: Dynex Dux for lifelines (and standing rigging)

And here's a manufacturer's link: http://www.colligomarine.com/Synthetic-lifelines.htm

The lashing shown on this page is a bit coarse looking, I think it could be done more nicely with lighter line, but this stuff is relatively easy to splice into fittings and you can set the tension with the lashing at one end. No meathooks, no cracking coating... but ultimately not as 'clean' looking an installation.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-26-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodders View Post
Am looking at the 723 or so projects I need to do on my boat ....
ONLY 723???? Phiittt... You must not have tried very hard when you were making up that list. I could come up with that many things to fix on my boat w/o breaking a sweat (or bothering to crack open Volume II of the "Mañana List").
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 02-26-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodders View Post
Question - being the cheap person that I am, can I remove the lifeline fittings from the existing wire and replace with new wire? |Thus saving buying what are rather expensive fittings.
Yes, of course you can do that.. if you choose to stick with wire.. and then you're faced with 'coated' or not.. Coated avoids the possibility of cable frays for some time, and you may prefer the 'look'.

But you'll still need someone to swage the end fittings in order to attach the new wire to the old fittings..

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Old 02-26-2012
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
PM Knothead here on SN. I replaced our lifelines and re-used the fittings after sending Knotty pics and then sent him the old lifelines (they all fit in a flat rate USPS box). Had the new ones in no time and everything fit perfectly. Reasonable cost too.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 02-26-2012
Senior Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Many people are now replacing lifelines with Dyneema 'rope'..
I've also been thinking about replacing my lifelines with rope. One question I have is whether ultra-low stretch line, such as Dyneema, is really necessary. The life-lines on my boat are about 6m long (26.5-foot boat, minus the pulpit and push-pit). So a line with 0.5% stretch would only result in 3 cm (slightly more than an inch) of total stretch over that length (Colligo Dux has about 0.05%, or about 3 mm, stretch at a similar load). I don't see how that little stretch is going to make the lifelines particularly sloppy, and the cost difference is something on the order of a factor of two or three. Am I missing something here?
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 02-26-2012
Just another Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
PM Knothead here on SN. I replaced our lifelines and re-used the fittings after sending Knotty pics and then sent him the old lifelines (they all fit in a flat rate USPS box). Had the new ones in no time and everything fit perfectly. Reasonable cost too.
I was going to suggest Knotty too, John, but the cross border shipping might be enough to make it not such a good deal.. but if the OP can arrange a mail drop in the US and drive down to get them then that may work. Plenty of people do that in Blaine, a short drive (assuming the border lineups are minimal) from here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post
I've also been thinking about replacing my lifelines with rope. One question I have is whether ultra-low stretch line, such as Dyneema, is really necessary. The life-lines on my boat are about 6m long (26.5-foot boat, minus the pulpit and push-pit). So a line with 0.5% stretch would only result in 3 cm (slightly more than an inch) of total stretch over that length (Colligo Dux has about 0.05%, or about 3 mm, stretch at a similar load). I don't see how that little stretch is going to make the lifelines particularly sloppy, and the cost difference is something on the order of a factor of two or three. Am I missing something here?
Might be worth a try.. just thinking out loud.. if someone has to 'fetch up' against the lifelines that might cause an immediate sag, also I wonder about the temperature stability and whether that might be another difference. But it would be rather inexpensive to try, then you can report back after a season with the results!

Way lower 'cool' factor though!!

Last edited by Faster; 02-26-2012 at 12:42 PM.
Old 02-26-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post
Volume II of the "Mañana List").
Easy SBS, no need to make things seem so urgent.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 02-26-2012
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Fast- I should have checked his location, the USA being the center of the universe and all
:-))

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 02-26-2012
Senior Slacker

Oops. Maybe a little stretch goes a long way.

If we treat a 6m long lifeline as a straight line (OK, usually it isn't, but it makes the analysis easier), and we calculate what the deflection would be if we push at the mid-point, then we would basically have two right-triangles. Here the hypotenuse of each of these triangles would be half the stretched length, and the other sides would be half the the original length and the deflection. Solve using Pythagoras, and we wind up with a 30 cm (about a foot) deflection. Hmmm... Might be a bit more than would be considered acceptable. Dux (if I'm doing this right) would have a deflection less than a third as large.