SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Cooking in a gale.....

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  SVAuspicious 
#1 ·
I thought this looked interesting. It's a tacklebox-looking 12V stove. Uses 12Amps and gets up to 300deg. Designed for truckers. Seems like you could empty cans of whatever into it, safely leave it unattended below, and a little while later, voila! hot food!
MedSailor

RoadPro 12 Volt Portable Stove

Here is a review from Amazon:
"It really gets old eating fast food while out on the road.I'm a trucker and thats all they have in most travel centers.On Christmas my girlfriend got me this,and its the best gift I could have gotten.This is a tackle box stove, and its mainly a food warmer.This will get pretty hot also,and after plugged in for only 10 minutes the bottom plate has plenty of heat.I can pull into a rest area,throw some hot pockets or burritos in it.Then head down the road and then pull over and have lunch in about an hour.This stove saves me a whole lot of money as well,as i really don't have a need to eat out when I'm on the road.In the morning i can put some sausage biscuits in it and in 30 min. there piping hot.As for dinner i can warm up leftover pizza,lasagna,soups, or pretty much any frozen food and it comes out great.If theres any negative thing to this stove,I'm not sure what it would be.Its prefect for a someone running solo or a team.So if you want to eat healthier on the road or just to be able to bring some real good food with you,this would be the item to have.
UPDATE 4/11- I need to to let people know i am still enjoying my stove.I'm able to pull over put my food in my stove,and about an hour later its done.I was getting burned out on hotpockets,so found other great things to cook.miniature pizzas for 45 min.(butches pizza) work great in this,you might need to trim it though.Chicken wings for 60 min.(walgreens premade)work great in this too,and a nice treat for me.campbells chucky soups for 60-90 min. using loaf pans lined with foil,our great to have as well.I like the clam chowder & chicken gumbo sausage soups.BBQ sandwiches work great in this too,i buy lloyds premade pork for 45 min.,and a package of buns and i'm set for the week.Mozzarella sticks & cheddar poppers for 45 min.our a nice treat as well.This stove really saves me a whole lot of money and being a long distance trucker,it gives me a chance to have something decent when i'm gone."

See less See more
#5 ·
I had one of them for years and they are power HOG's, i would not use one in the truck unless i was running the motor(over the road driver). You will have burnt food in the middle of the lower pan, this is the only heat source, I have in the past heated caned food with mine, not more then 30.
I have cooked things like a small roast and pork chops in mine , but you have to use something to hold the food off the bottom, i used foil bunched up to make a an over curved S.

There is a newer model out now Amazon.com: Max Burton 12 Volt Lunch Box "Stove To Go" Digital Cooker: Everything Else .

Happy cooking, and yes this is a power hog as well, this one has anon stick removable pan......... Fair Winds

#6 ·
My experience with other 12-volt "cooking" items -- particularly a coffee maker -- is that they use a ton of power. One friend discovered that when she switched from a 12-volt to 110 volt coffee maker running on an inverter (but otherwise still off the batteries), she actually used less power, even though there is a certain amount of inefficiency in an inverter. It just took forever on 12v to heat the water. I'm guessing the same would be true here, but I don't have direct experience.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.