Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Small Marine Generator?

Because I want to stay out of marinas, the refrigerator has a considerable consumption and my wife will not pass without it, I am looking at ways to be auto-sufficient.

I had a look at solar panels but it seems that what i want is not yet on the market, the wind generators don't work without wind, so the more reasonable choice seems to be a small and high efficient diesel generator.

I had a look at the market and the small I could find was this one:

Well they have lighter models but the wide of this one is unbeatable: 32cms

That means I can just mount it in one of the cabins, behind the engine, on the side, without taking too much space from the cabin.

Paguro 3000 diesel marine generator, 2.8kW of continuous, quiet, reliable, on board power - Advance Yacht Systems Limited

Well, this is nice, but not cheap, this one costs over 6000€ plus VAT.

Baltic Machinery - naudotos ir naujos Japonikos technikos importas-eksportas, pardavimas, remontas, konsultacijos.

Two questions:

Does anybody have experience with these generators?

Do you know or have experience with something smaller or less expensive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-27-2012

night0wl is on a distinguished road
$8000 for just the unit plus the labor to install it (haulout, 2 thru-hulls, raw water strainer, etc)...I'm seeing this as a $10,000 project...wow, pricey!!!
Old 02-27-2012

faisond is on a distinguished road
Cheeck out NextGen. Considerably cheaper. Since their units are belt driven, they may be able to furnish a 50hz model if that's what you need. You'd need to check with them. I put a 5.5 kW unit in my boat (self-installed) for about $5k - including haul out, through hulls, strainers, wiring, etc.
Old 02-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by faisond View Post
Cheeck out NextGen. Considerably cheaper. Since their units are belt driven, they may be able to furnish a 50hz model if that's what you need. You'd need to check with them. I put a 5.5 kW unit in my boat (self-installed) for about $5k - including haul out, through hulls, strainers, wiring, etc.
The smaller I can find is this one:

http://www.nextgenerationpower.com/I...t/3-5Specs.pdf

It is much wider: 32.0cm to 45.7. Almost more 14cm and that difference is very important in what concerns the space where I want to put it.

But I agree, it is a big difference in price

Regards

Paulo
Old 02-27-2012
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Silly question? Do you have 12 volt refrigeration? It would be the best route to go with solar and improved battery banks if you need them.
Fair winds!

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-27-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Paulo,

Why the objection to solar ? Taking up too much space perhaps ?

We do have solar (two x 185w panels) plus wind generator and probably more importantly a Balmar Six Series (150ah) alternator in addition to the standard. Portable generator as well but we have never used it. Wind is of course noisy and that is irritating but we only use it when no sun. We also find that we need to run the engine an hour a day for hot water and this tops up the batteries where necessary. We have never gone below 80% battery capacity.

Yes we are running refrigerator 24 hours a day when on board.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 02-27-2012

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
If you need a generator and are limited on space, consider an engine driven unit. We have a Seapower 5KW unit on our Yanmar. Works great and takes up very little space. I believe they are made by MEPS out of Dallas, TX.

We actually use it very little as our solar and wind generation keep everything running.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 02-27-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Why not just go to 6 volts and increase you battery ah in the same or similar space.?. Would take a lot of batteries to equal $8000. For refrigeration that will suffice. Course if you need to run AC or heat at anchor thats a different story

I reinsulated the refrigerator box and al;so increased our ah. Our refrigerator diet is about 55 ah on the hottest of days (95 degrees) in the Chesapeake. We carry 6- 6 volt agm or about 660 ah....or about 330 usable. Adding all the other elctric we use, LED lights (Alpenglow), Charplotter, pumps our daily electrical diet is about 100-110 ah per day. We can do three days with no charging easily.

With Mainsails advice I added a high capactity alternator (120 elctromax) so it will charge 85% of that back up in less than2 hopurs of engine running. I will eventualyy purt a couple of 135 panels on which would add 70 ah per day back in and decrease the deficit.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 02-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Silly question? Do you have 12 volt refrigeration? It would be the best route to go with solar and improved battery banks if you need them.
Fair winds!
Thanks! I have already an improved battery bank: 4 to a 41ft is a lot. Solar energy is not enough to run a refrigerator, or at least I don't think so.

Regards

Paulo
Old 02-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Paulo,

Why the objection to solar ? Taking up too much space perhaps ?

We do have solar (two x 185w panels) plus wind generator and probably more importantly a Balmar Six Series (150ah) alternator in addition to the standard. Portable generator as well but we have never used it. Wind is of course noisy and that is irritating but we only use it when no sun. We also find that we need to run the engine an hour a day for hot water and this tops up the batteries where necessary. We have never gone below 80% battery capacity.

Yes we are running refrigerator 24 hours a day when on board.
Not an objection but I don't want to have directional panels. The only way to have decent power with solar energy is with directional panels and I don't want that. Anyway, 370w on solar energy is a lot even if you only get a percentage of that on normal use.

I had two alternators on the other boat and that kind of solved the problem, but on this boat there is no space for two alternators.

I guess you got most of the energy for running the engine one hour a day with a little help from the solar panels.

I am going to revise all electronic of the boat that is badly mounted and waste a lot of energy. The boat has already led illumination but I bet the two refrigerators waste a lot of juice.

Portable generators are dangerous in a boat and has I don't have the possibility of having two alternators, I think the best solution would be a small efficient marine generator. They waste very little (1l/h) and running an hour a day would be more than enough for everything.

Regards

Paulo

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.