Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-06-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Arco 30 Winch Maintenance Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2814D View Post
SloopJon, the pin we are speaking about is definitely pressed in and designed to fit tightly once seated. This winch was probably built in the late 70's. If you look back up at the pictures the pin is standing upright in the center of the picture. It has, although not completely visible there, vertical grooves around the top of the pin that create the friction to hold it in place. It has to be pressed (or hammered) into the mast base through the hole (you can see it in the 6 oclock portion of the base) and the gear to hold it in place, otherwise, it may rise up and contact the lower portion of the DRUM It certainly wasn't being held because of varnish or the like. It had to be forced out. And I cleaned the heck out of every piece there before I put it back together, and there was nothing going to "slip fit" back in regarding this pin. :-)
I just hope the next time I have to clean winches they will be a bit newer and easier to take apart. Having to completely remove them was a two man job, just to do that and then put them back in.
I stand corrected. That's surprisingly bad design for an Ozzie product of that vintage. You shouldn't have to dismount a winch to service it. My Barients are 1970 vintage and their corresponding shafts are held in by a cotter pin. They also have enough access to grip them and pull them out "in situ".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook