Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-27-2012

H2814D is on a distinguished road
Arco 30 Winch Maintenance Question

Hi all. I am trying to re-build/clean an older (I think) Arco 30 USA (that's what it says on the top plate) and am finding I can go no further than removing the top circlip, sliding the bell off (I think that's what you call it), and then I can remove the top two pawls and springs.

I've looked at videos of other models of winches, but can not find one or any information for this particular model. My problem is I cannot get the bearings off, nor can I get to the bottom gears, which look incredibly gummed up with grease. It appears the part that holds the upper pawls has a small lip which prevents the bearings from sliding up and off the main post. I can also see a small hole in this part, but cannot tell if maybe an allen wrench or something is supposed to be used there.

The bottom gear has a pin, but it looks like this pin is pressed into the metal and does not look like it is removable unless it is pressed back out.

Does anyone have experience with this model? Am I going to have to remove the winch from the boat, and if so, will removing the screws mean I have to watch for the nuts falling somewhere?

New to this boat (Islander Bahama 30) and to sailing a larger sailboat (have owned a Hobie 16 forever), so thanks in advance for your replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-27-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
If you contact them they will email you an exploded diagram of your winch. You'll need to let them know if it is standrad or self tailing, one or two spee.

HUTTON-ARCO Yacht Winches

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 03-13-2012

Re: Arco 30 Winch Maintenance Question

Thank you TDW. I e-mailed and very quickly received a response with schematic diagrams of the two most probable winch set ups. It looks like I need to completely remove the winches from the boat to do a proper cleaning/re-lubing. Another boat project...wooohoooo!
Old 06-04-2012

OK so I removed the winches, completely took them apart, cleaned and lubed them, and eventually replaced them back on the boat. They were pretty gummed up. Pictures of the internal parts, and the four of them all back together, after being shined up a bit.
Attached Thumbnails
Arco 30 Winch Maintenance Question-img_0232-copy.jpg   Arco 30 Winch Maintenance Question-img_0233-copy.jpg  
Old 06-04-2012

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2814D View Post
The bottom gear has a pin, but it looks like this pin is pressed into the metal and does not look like it is removable unless it is pressed back out.
I also had this same problem with a used Lewmar winch, and got a schematic from Lewmar (they sent one for a different winch), but I never figured out how to remove the pin and gear. I'm hoping yours will give me a clue to how mine is put together. How did you remove yours?
Old 06-04-2012

Sailormon, the pin is standing upright next to the almost clear plastic ring and the black ring almost directly in the center of the photo. It is pressed in from the top of the main part of the winch base (the brass part in the lower left corner). I had to strike it from the bottom of the base up (I think it was the bottom anyway...I don't remember now). It wasn't too difficult to get it to come out, but you do have to remove the winch base from the boat to get to the bottom of the base.

I used a 1/4" socket extension and a hammer. Just keep carefully hitting it and it should come out. You will have to press or hammer it back in during re-assembly. Just make sure there are no other parts holding the pin in, like a circlip or something, which would probably be visible on the bottom of the base if there was one. There is nothing on the ARCO's, but the Lewmar's may be different.

I used carburetor cleaner on all the metal parts, but not the plastic. Someone suggested mineral spirits, but that took too long to disolve the grease. I did use the mineral spirits on the plastic parts.

I see you are a senior member, so I don't want to insult you, but absolutely no grease on or near the pawls or springs. It gums up their movement and these things need to only be oiled with a light oil for proper operation. The larger gears and the bearings get the grease.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-04-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Well that worked out well. good to see.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 06-05-2012

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough

Thanks HD2814D. I'm installing the winches now, but will try tapping them with a hammer the next time I clean and lube them, probably next year. Since I couldn't get them completely disassembled this time, I got them mostly apart and soaked the rest overnight in a solvent, agitating them and rotating the gears frequently, and think I got them fairly clean. I greased the gears lightly and oiled the pawls, and they seem to be working great, so, rather than take them apart again and obsessing over them, I'm going to put her back together and go sailing!
Old 06-05-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

On all the winches I have serviced that had pins like that, they were a slip fit. If you have to use a hammer and drift to get them out they probably have crud on them. Polish them with 600 or 800 wet/dry paper and some WD40 or even diesel and also polish the holes they ride in. It's a good idea to do this to the main bearing races in the drum as well - just polish the varnish off (if there is any of course).

If you use white lithium grease on your winches you CAN grease your pawls & springs with a LIGHT coat. It clings better than oil and won't cause the stiction that is the reason for the "oil only" conventional wisdom.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 06-06-2012

SloopJon, the pin we are speaking about is definitely pressed in and designed to fit tightly once seated. This winch was probably built in the late 70's. If you look back up at the pictures the pin is standing upright in the center of the picture. It has, although not completely visible there, vertical grooves around the top of the pin that create the friction to hold it in place. It has to be pressed (or hammered) into the mast base through the hole (you can see it in the 6 oclock portion of the base) and the gear to hold it in place, otherwise, it may rise up and contact the lower portion of the bell (?). It certainly wasn't being held because of varnish or the like. It had to be forced out. And I cleaned the heck out of every piece there before I put it back together, and there was nothing going to "slip fit" back in regarding this pin. :-)
I just hope the next time I have to clean winches they will be a bit newer and easier to take apart. Having to completely remove them was a two man job, just to do that and then put them back in.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.