Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2012

minnow1193 is on a distinguished road
Balboa 20 owners?

Hey all. Am currently trying to decipher my rigging setup on my 1971 B20. PO has a jumble of shackles, twine and whatever else they could find to make it work. Looking to find owners that can share pics, specs, tips etc. to steer me in the right direction. I am in the Tampa area and would even travel to check out your boat to see your setup. Thanks, Steve
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-11-2012

gregor1234 is on a distinguished road
Re: Balboa 20 owners?

Have a 1972 B20. Currently making much needed repairs put off too long. Replacing soft decking and stripping/painting interior. Since boat is currently "taken apart" can't set up rig and take pics but would be happy to help out with diagrams etc. I have the original sales brochure that includes a sail plan. That would be a good start. Do you have one? If i'll attach a .pdf. The pdf is on my other computer.i can send it tomorrow. What else do you need?
Old 04-13-2012

Since I can only attach picture files, I've uploaded each of 4 pages of the Balboa 20 brichure as a separate jpg file.
Attached Thumbnails
Balboa 20 owners?-bal20bro_1.jpg   Balboa 20 owners?-bal20bro_2.jpg   Balboa 20 owners?-bal20bro_3.jpg   Balboa 20 owners?-bal20bro_4.jpg  
Old 04-13-2012

Thanks for that gregor, i have seen a copy of that before. What i really need is pics or descriptions of how the halyard blocks and the jibsheet blocks are attached to the mast and the cars. Are swivels used? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. If need be, i can pm you with email or phone #.
Steve
Old 04-19-2012

Had a busy last couple of days and haven't been on sailnet. Some crude diagrams are attached.

In my 1972 B20:

The cast-metal masthead assembly incorporates two sheeves held in with clevis pins. The main halyard runs from the main headboard up the aft side of the mast, over both sheeves in the masthead and down the forward/starboard side of the mast to a cleat. The sheeves themselves are made for wire/rope combo halyards (perhaps factory halyards were combo?) I just use 5/16 stayset.

The jib halyard block and forestay are both attached to a "mast hound". The forestay is attached to an upper hole in the hound and the jib block to a lower hole using a shackle. The halyard is lead from the jib head round the block and down to a cleat on the port side of the mast.

The way I've led them left/right-wise is convenient for a right-hander. If you are left-handed, you may want to switch the left/right disposition of the halyards.

The main sheet setup on my boat is "factory" and does not use a traveler or car. There are three blocks: a single block with a "standup" spring on the port quarter, a double block attached to the outboard end of the boom and a single block with 1) a standup spring, 2)a becket and 3) a double cam cleat attached to the starboard quarter.

The sheet is tied to the becket on the starboard quarter block then led:
-through the double block on the boom
-around the single block on the port quarter
-back throught the double block on the boom
-around the single block on the starboard quarter and throught the cam cleat.
We usually cleat the main sheet on a regular cleat as well 'cause it easily shakes loose from the cam cleat. With this setup you have 4:1 purchase.

I do not miss having a traveler/car but then again I do not race. We just set up other lines as needed if we need to hold the boom inboard in light airs or flatten the sail in stronger ones.

The factory setup for the jib sheet (shown starboard on the diagram) is simply to lead the sheet through a fairlead (mounted next to the toerail) back to a self-jamming cleat mounted on the cockpit coaming.

Now, the previous owner added winches on the cockpit coamings and 1-inch genoa tracks with single-block cars on the side decks. So we lead the jib through the block on the car over to the winch and back to the cleat. This is shown on the port side of the diagram. The winches are mounted in the coaming without any wooden base to adjust the lead-in angle. The angle of the coaming (on which the winches are mounted is OK when the genoa cars are set aft of the winches but not when the cars are set forward of the winches or when using the factory fairleads. For almost all sailing, I actually don't need to use the winches -I just trim by hand.

In addition there are forward-facing plastic jam-cleats mounted on the inside of the cockpit coming that can used to cleat the jib.

I use 5/16 lines for all running rigging except the jib sheets. For those I am currently using 1/2 inch. (Because I don't generally use the winches, the 1/2 inch is easier on the hands.)

MY advice (and I've read elsewhere as well for B-20's) is to take the factory backstay and turn the turnbuckle down and shorten it as short as it can go. With the backstay adjusted so, the factory forestay won't be long enough and you have to use an additional shackle or chain link or two to make up the gap (the factory shrouds will still fit though). The slight aft rake this imparts to the mast makes a world of difference in handling. Both in pressure needed to steer upwind and reducing rolling experienced downwind.

ASLO, the rudder is set up to swing up and down. There is almost never any reason to use the "up" position for sailng except shallowest, weedy of inlets or when loading onto or unloading from the trailer. (DO unship the rudder entirely when on the road trailering.) There is absolutely no use for any position other than all the way up or all the way down. Now, if you position your outboard so the propellor just clears the turn of the hull you will find it will not contact the rudder in either the full up or down position.
Attached Thumbnails
Balboa 20 owners?-main-halyard.jpg   Balboa 20 owners?-jib-halyard.jpg   Balboa 20 owners?-main-sheet.jpg   Balboa 20 owners?-jib-sheet.jpg   Balboa 20 owners?-jam-self-jamming-cleats.jpg  

Sijarman likes this.

Last edited by gregor1234; 04-19-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Old 04-19-2012

Wow! Way to go above and beyond. Thank you. That solved a couple mysteries for me. Drawings were excellent. The two sheaves on the masthead were very puzzling. Didnt imagine the halyard going all the way over the top. Should have her ready to go by this weekend, with my first sail on monday. Will let you know how it goes! Thanks again.
Old 04-19-2012

I actually had to fabricate my own rudder, as the original was missing. It does not kick up. I didnt want to get that involved with it. I based it on a scale drawing i found on the web. Shouldnt be a problem i would guess. Nice tip on the backstay. I will definitely set it up that way. Thanks again, Greg!

Steve
Old 04-19-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Without a kick-up rudder, keep the keel down in shoal water. Better to have the keel hit ground first rather than the rudder. Have fun.
Old 04-19-2012

SecondWindNC is on a distinguished road

I don't have any input that's helpful, just wanted to chip in that some of my first experiences of sailing on my own were on a Balboa 20. Helped with refinishing the woodwork and a thorough cleaning of a somewhat neglected boat, and in return got to sail her a bit. Great little boat!

Have fun!

Edit: found a photo where you can see her in the background.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.

Last edited by SecondWindNC; 04-19-2012 at 02:35 PM.
Old 04-19-2012

Thanks all. The rudder doesnt extend beyond the depth of the keel very much when it is in the up position so am not too worried about it. If it becomes a problem, i can always hack it apart and make it a kick up rudder!
Spent a good 8 hours on her today. Painted the bottom, faired and painted the rudder, spent a good 2 hours getting the swing keel unstuck. It's swinging free now. LOTS of rust! Only managed to cut my forehead twice. Ouch. Will post pics when i can.
Thanks again

Steve