Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By deniseO30

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2012

FineKetch is on a distinguished road
Steering System Identity

Wondering if anyone can assist in identifying (Manufacturer/Model) the Gear and Cable Steering System pulled from a 1969 Cheoy Lee Clipper 36. I could not find any identifying marks or labels on any of the parts.

Many thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Steering System Identity-steering-1-.jpg   Steering System Identity-steering-2-.jpg   Steering System Identity-steering-3-.jpg   Steering System Identity-steering-4-.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-28-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
That mechanism is rather unusual.. not the chain/cable/sprocket that is typical of many of the 'standard' cable steering setups. Also the wheel lock is quite distinctive, hopefully somebody will recognize it.

Are you planning to re-use it?

Except for the cable/quadrant portion below decks the mechanism (pinion gear drive) is similar to our newish Edson link-and-lever steering gear.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-28-2012

RichH will become famous soon enough
Look for small stampings into the metal parts: "GD"

Looks suspiciously like 'Grand Deer' - a notorious Taiwanese 'knock off' marine supplier. If it is most the of the threaded components will be Whitworth Imperial *Variant* thread profiles or a mix of Whitworth Imperial and Metric (depending on the age).

Note: When checking, Imperial will not mate perfectly with Standard Whitworth but Std. Whitworth will mate with Imperial.
Old 02-28-2012

RichH

Many thanks for taking a minute to respond and for your parts mating advice. I'll likely start the tear-down this weekend.

Mark
Old 02-28-2012

To Faster

Thank you also for responding to my query. I'm beginning the process of tearing down and refurbishing.

FK
Old 02-28-2012
Lies about her age

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
the steering gear or the boat? If it's the boat we want photos! we love armchair restorations!
SloopJonB likes this.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-11-2014

Jessiealsop is on a distinguished road
Re: Steering System Identity

Glad to see your post!

I'm having trouble finding info on my cheoy lee luders 36 steering system, it's the same as the one in your picture. I'm going to attempt to replace the cable next week - the tension is not good and I can hear it slipping when I turn the wheel hard in either direction. I'm wondering if you have any advice on how to replace and tension the cable - I'd prefer to do that rather than replace the whole system.
Old 03-11-2014

Thanks for writing. I finally discovered through numerous other research contacts that the pedestal and steering gear under the cockpit are likely manufactured by Cheoy Lee and not commercially available units.

Unfortunately, I never was able to come up with documentation. I've taken photos of the setup before I tore it down, and I'll be reinstalling and adjusting through "dead reckoning" or working with it until it seems to be correct.
Old 03-11-2014
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiealsop View Post
Glad to see your post!

I'm having trouble finding info on my cheoy lee luders 36 steering system, it's the same as the one in your picture. I'm going to attempt to replace the cable next week - the tension is not good and I can hear it slipping when I turn the wheel hard in either direction. I'm wondering if you have any advice on how to replace and tension the cable - I'd prefer to do that rather than replace the whole system.
I don't know the Cheoy Lee system but I suspect it will be similar to others. If you look at both ends of each cable you should be able to see how it connects. With the ones I have done, you disconnect the cable where it connects at the rudder end - this is also where you tighten the cable. This may be all you need to do unless the cable itself is starting to fray. To check for this, run a soft cloth over the cable (not your hand unless you want to bleed) and see if it catches. Look in particular where the cable might touch anything, sheaves or anything else because this is where wear happens most.

If you have to change the cable, you loosen it at the rudder, then remove it at both ends and then buy the bits to replace the cable, and likely the clamps that have been used. Not hard to do, but can be awkward to get at on many boats.