Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2012

Ulladh is on a distinguished road
VHF DSC Handheld with AIS?

I may be looking for something that does does not exist;

A handheld VHF with DSC and built in GPS is available but how about one with built in AIS receiver?
Old 03-03-2012

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
Exactly what do expect it to tell you? The best it can do is give you coordinates, name, heading, speed etc but how do you interpret that? What use would this be?

You could use the data and plot it on a paper chart manually but the speed of the updates would ecventually overwhelm you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Tim R.; 03-03-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-03-2012
Sailboat Reboot

svzephyr44 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44
Although technically not difficult to build (after all, fixed mount units already exist) my guess is they will be a long way coming. The problem is battery power. Although GPS receivers and AIS receivers don't take a lot of current they are on 100% of the time. The AIS receive is just scanning two extra VHF channels but the decoder logic, just like DSC decoder logic (which is, sadly, a different protocol) would add to the battery load. Also, as pointed out, you would need to power a bigger display to get any useful information out of the device.
Old 03-03-2012

Ulladh is on a distinguished road
What I would like in my fantasy VHF DSC GPS AIS handheld would be, the bearing from my position, MMSI number, name of vessel and heading of vessel within a radius of 1nm, 5nm or 10nm. The bearing tells me where to look, the heading the vessel is traveling tells me if I should pay attention, the name and MMSI number is information I need to give them a call.

A larger chart screen would be a bonus but then that is getting away from handheld size.

Last edited by Ulladh; 03-03-2012 at 05:59 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-13-2012

FatBear is on a distinguished road
Re: VHF DSC Handheld with AIS?

I would like a handheld with AIS & DSC for my own safety: not so I can see other boats, but so they can see me. I row and sail in a busy area and want large commercial craft to know I'm there so they don't run over me.
Old 07-13-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

In a row boat, they would know you are there and still run you over. Law of tonnage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-13-2012

But they might give me a toot. :-)

The law of tonnage gives them the right of way, but not the right to kill with impunity. They may have the law on their side, but they will never work again if they don't at least try to warn other traffic of impending problems. I am alert and have never had a near, or even far, miss with a tug or ship in over 17,000 miles of rowing and probably that many sailing and fishing, but I have seen a lot of them. Weekenders, especially, are always running afowl of tugs, but the tugs try really hard not to hit them. Some of those clowns really ought to be run over so you know there are consequences to the tug operator if they do it with impunity.

Last edited by FatBear; 07-13-2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old 07-13-2012

BTW, did you know you can watch the commercial traffic in your area right at your computer: Live Ships Map - AIS - Vessel Traffic and Positions And no, I'm not a troll or a shill and have no association with them at all. It's just interesting.
Old 07-13-2012

Geoff54 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by svzephyr44 View Post
Although technically not difficult to build (after all, fixed mount units already exist) my guess is they will be a long way coming. The problem is battery power. Although GPS receivers and AIS receivers don't take a lot of current they are on 100% of the time. The AIS receive is just scanning two extra VHF channels but the decoder logic, just like DSC decoder logic (which is, sadly, a different protocol) would add to the battery load. Also, as pointed out, you would need to power a bigger display to get any useful information out of the device.
Who makes a fixed mount one that does all three? Standard Horizon have a fixed mount AIS/VHF, although it requires a GPS input and Icom have a handheld GPS/VHF. It can only be a matter of time before someone solves the power issues and combines all three. The usual 12V power cord would solve most of the problems, surely????.
Old 07-13-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
In a row boat, they would know you are there and still run you over. Law of tonnage.
There is no actual law of tonnage, just to clarify a wisecrack.

The big freighter may have the right of way as less maneuverable or possible as commercial vessel, however, all vessels have the responsibility to avoid a collision.

Serious bottom line is that I do not think any rowing vessel (canoe, kayak, rowboat, whatever) should put themselves in a position that conflicts with less maneuverable vessels of any kind, unless totally unavoidable. It drives me crazy to have kayaks in a busy channel, when there is plenty of room in the shallows to the side that can't be used by the motoring vessels.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.