Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-03-2012
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Victron BMV 600 question

I installed a Victron BMV 600 about two years ago and love it, but there seems to be something strange going on that I don't understand. My house bank is three AGM 4D's which each have (when new, 4 yrs ago) 195 amp hours, the start battery is another 4D with a Blue Seas ACR connecting it to the house bank (two alternators, one to house the other to start). We also have 270 watts of solar with an MPPT controller to the house bank. Generally after a night on the hook the battery voltage will be around 12.3-5 (fully charged it's around 12.8-9) but the % charge on the Victron will show 90+%. There seems to be a disconnect between the voltage reading and the state of charge percentage. If the battery bank is down to 12.3 I interpret that to mean that they are nearing the 50% point, not 90+? When I installed it I set the capacity to 600 amp hours. It has done this since new, no change, so I don't think I have a battery problem and since I never run them down below this I haven't worried about it too much. Does it sound like I set it up wrong or I'm not getting the amp hours out of the bank that I should, or ? Disclaimer: I'm not great with electricity, regularly almost electrocute myself or others:-))

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-03-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
I installed a Victron BMV 600 about two years ago and love it, but there seems to be something strange going on that I don't understand. My house bank is three AGM 4D's which each have (when new, 4 yrs ago) 195 amp hours, the start battery is another 4D with a Blue Seas ACR connecting it to the house bank (two alternators, one to house the other to start). We also have 270 watts of solar with an MPPT controller to the house bank. Generally after a night on the hook the battery voltage will be around 12.3-5 (fully charged it's around 12.8-9) but the % charge on the Victron will show 90+%. There seems to be a disconnect between the voltage reading and the state of charge percentage. If the battery bank is down to 12.3 I interpret that to mean that they are nearing the 50% point, not 90+? When I installed it I set the capacity to 600 amp hours. It has done this since new, no change, so I don't think I have a battery problem and since I never run them down below this I haven't worried about it too much. Does it sound like I set it up wrong or I'm not getting the amp hours out of the bank that I should, or ? Disclaimer: I'm not great with electricity, regularly almost electrocute myself or others:-))

John,

An "active" voltage reading tells you very, very little about the actual state of charge. For an accurate OCV reading your batteries should be rested for approx 24 hours with zero loads and zero charging during the duration. If not you'll get GIGO... Garbage-In-Garbage-Out..

It is quite odd to place an ACR between two banks with their own charging source? I understand this may be for solar but if the start battery already has its own alt there is little need to charge it with solar too and you could dedicate all solar to where it really needs to be and you's lose the roughly 0.2A load of the closed relay....

With the ACR fitted you'll want to be sure the start batt neg lead is on the LOAD side of the shunt...

As always do manual resets when the bank is taking little current with no loads on and just charging..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 03-03-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Just ordered a Victrom BMV 600 from Jamestown to complete the electrical upgrades on Haleakula as it looks like we are keeping her. I have been studying Maine sails installation intructions carefully, and it looks pretty straightforward and will give me a chance to install new teak wall with a swing out new Blue Sea Panel I bought when Boaters World went under, buses, shunt and bring everything to code vs the " Rube Goldberg" approach which it has turned into over the last 15 years. (I have contributed some to this)

Cant wait to get this all done. Just hate to hold my breath and pray before I throw the first breaker.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-03-2012
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Thanks Maine. So you think this is pretty normal? I understand that the voltage reading won't be completely accurate while charging/discharging is going on, but it just seems like a big variance between VDC and % charge. Are these about the same readings that you get on your BMV? It just makes me wonder what the voltage would read if I ever did discharge to the 50% range. The amp hours used is usually around 40-50 in the morning (lights, puters, heater, etc) which corresponds to the % reading of 90-94% on the BMV. The voltage just seems abnormally low with that little discharged from the batteries. The voltage comes right up and we're usually back to full charge in a couple of hours after the sun comes out so I know we aren't severely discharged.

While re-wiring the battery cables (consolidated 4 banks into two) an electrician advised me to put the ACR in so if one alternator went down the other would "charge" through the ACR. The start batt isn't connected to the solar or the BMV, the only thing connected to the start battery is the starter and the ACR (sep batt switch).

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 06-09-2012

Spirithorse is on a distinguished road
Re: Victron BMV 600 question

Mainesail, great info on your how to install 600s. Question for you (or others):

This is for a remote cabin install where we are away fora weeks at a time in the summer and months at a time in the winter. I want no loads on the battery while we are gone so i normally disconnect the batt cables when we are gone to avoid a small load discharging them. If I do this with the 600s will I have to redo the setup and start the historical logging from scratch every time or does it hold memory on those things with no power?