SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Which engines would you think twice about (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/84617-engines-would-you-think-twice-about.html)

davidpm 03-04-2012 10:52 PM

Which engines would you think twice about

Some engines are hard to find parts for. If your buying a boat which engines would make you feel pretty good vs which ones would you be afraid of in reference to finding parts.

Easy
Universal
Yamnar
Atomic 4 but expect to pay 5,000 less for boat as the market has discounted it.

Hard
Farryman
Any raw water cooled

CalebD 03-04-2012 10:56 PM

Re: Which engines would you think twice about

Add Volvo to the list of hard to find parts for and very expensive if they exist.

Add Beta (marinized Kubota) to the easy list.

bljones 03-04-2012 10:56 PM

Bukh
Renault
BMW
In other words, most of the original engines in 70s Hunters. They did some weird stuff.

I am currently tempted by a a Lloyds Mariner 20 hp engine that is available locally. small, light, simple, but I don't know much about them, so I am hesitant to pull the trigger.

nothingshocking1 03-04-2012 11:29 PM

where does westerbeke fall on the list

StormBay 03-05-2012 12:42 AM

After owning a Nanni for the past 10 months I have had enough! I am going to re-power with a yanmar when we get hauled out on the 22nd (we found a god price at the miami boat show :-). We have had an issue with the heat exchanger for some time now and the Nanni rep was less than helpful with locating the parts we needed. His exact words were "Your engine is an older model so we don't carry parts for it. You should consider re-powering with one of our newer models." This was after we finally got him on the phone a month and a half after we had first contacted him! Never again would I even consider owning a Nanni! Overly complex pice of $&#@!

tomperanteau 03-05-2012 12:52 AM

I say let's put a Lister in her and see how she does.

Faster 03-05-2012 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StormBay (Post 840281)
After owning a Nanni for the past 10 months I have had enough! I am going to re-power with a yanmar .....

Assuming this was a new-to-you boat 10 months ago - and not a repower in itself?

Anyhow I'm sure I'll be in a minority here, but the various VW marinizations (primarily based on the Rabbit Diesel, and now Jetta) use all the usual marinization parts (Jabsco, Bowman, Hurth/Z), and actual engine parts are pretty much available just about anywhere world wide.

Capt Len 03-05-2012 01:24 AM

For toughness, easy to work on and parts availability world wide I like the Isuzu.

StormBay 03-05-2012 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faster (Post 840296)
Assuming this was a new-to-you boat 10 months ago - and not a repower in itself?

Yes, we bought the boat 10 months ago. Our Nanni is a marinized Mercedes 616 engine (easy to find parts), however the heat exchanger etc are not the usual off the shelf stuff and are all really large and complex castings (impossible to find parts).

JiffyLube 03-05-2012 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faster (Post 840296)
Anyhow I'm sure I'll be in a minority here, but the various VW marinizations (primarily based on the Rabbit Diesel, and now Jetta) use all the usual marinization parts (Jabsco, Bowman, Hurth/Z), and actual engine parts are pretty much available just about anywhere world wide.

You're not alone. We have a Pathfinder 50 in our boat that's 30 years old, and it runs very good. While I entertained the idea of a re-power, we haven't had any serious problems with this engine. Parts are not hard to find, but some mechanics don't know the engine that well.