Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SloopJonB

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2012

rlmccb is on a distinguished road
Palmer P60 overheated

While coming back into the harbor today, my Palmer quit making water, temp went high. Question: What should I check, strainer and what else, second, how much heat can a Palmer take before serious damage occurs?
thanks, and happy sailing
Rick
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-05-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Palmer P60 overheated

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlmccb View Post
While coming back into the harbor today, my Palmer quit making water, temp went high. Question: What should I check, strainer and what else, second, how much heat can a Palmer take before serious damage occurs?
thanks, and happy sailing Rick
Check the intake, the strainer and the water pump impeller. Is it raw or fresh cooled? If fresh, check the heat exchanger for blockage.

As to heat - did it stop on its own? If so, check that it still turns - isn't seized. I'd change the oil as a matter of course. If it didn't get so hot as to seize, the only likely casualty would be the head gasket - a dead simple change on a flathead.

If it just had a one time overheat, you stopped it before it seized up, it's unlikely to have done any serious damage - get the cooling system checked & operating, change the oil and light it up - if anything was damaged like the gasket, you will know it then.

My money's on some trash blocking the water intake or the impeller fell apart.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 03-05-2012

Was out at the Harbor today to check things out on the Palmer and found the following. I started with making sure the engine wasn't seized, it was not, oil looked good and the same level as before over heating occurred. I started with the water intake and strainer, both were operational, although the strainer did need a good cleaning. From there I went to the impeller housing and took off the cover plate,,,,,,,viola,,,,,,,,impeller was completelly schredded,,,,,,cleaned out as much as I could,,,,,where would any trash that came apart wind up and what problems could it make?? Also anybody have a part number for an impeller for a Palmer 60??????
thanks and Happy Sailing
Rick
Old 03-05-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

You'll have to determine who made the pump.. they are generally aftermarket from Johnson, or Jabsco, or Oberdorfer, maybe Sherwood. Once you have that model and number then finding an impeller should be simple enough.

If the engine is FWC then you'll find the rubber bits in the heat exchanger, and this would be a good time to fish them out. If it's RWC than it's hard to say just where the debris ended up.. if you're lucky the bits were small enough to flush themselves through but you're going to have to be vigilant about the cooling water flow. The blockage (and overheating) may well have been the result of the disintegrating impeller in the first place...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-05-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

As Faster said/typed, your replacement impeller is dependent upon which water pump is attached to your Palmer.
If it is an Oberdorfer model then Moyer Marine sells them: Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians - Powered by vBulletin

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-05-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlmccb View Post
Was out at the Harbor today to check things out on the Palmer and found the following. I started with making sure the engine wasn't seized, it was not, oil looked good and the same level as before over heating occurred. I started with the water intake and strainer, both were operational, although the strainer did need a good cleaning. From there I went to the impeller housing and took off the cover plate,,,,,,,viola,,,,,,,,impeller was completelly schredded,,,,,,cleaned out as much as I could,,,,,where would any trash that came apart wind up and what problems could it make?? Also anybody have a part number for an impeller for a Palmer 60??????
thanks and Happy Sailing Rick
Glad your problem was such a routine type occurrence. Lesson learned about routine replacement of the impeller I take it?

As to the highlight - the APPEARANCE of the oil is not an adequate measure of its condition. If the engine overheated, the oil has probably lost much of its additive package etc. The heat can cause components in the oil to boil off.

Pay the $2 and replace the oil and filter. Remember the old ads for one of the oil brands - "Pay me now or pay me later"?

If you have freshwater cooling, after you have picked out all the impeller bits out of the exchanger, change the coolant as well. It can suffer much the same way engine oil does when it goes way past its operating temp.

For the few $$ that some oil & coolant cost, it's not worth messing with.
Faster likes this.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 03-11-2012

OK, I cleaned the intake, the strainer, replaced the impeller, pulled bits and pieces of the old impeller from it seemed like everywhere, check the thermostat, changed the oil, drained the carb bowl and changed the fuel filter. Fired up the engine and it purrs like a kitten,,,,,,,,Palmers are truly bullet proof,,,,,,,thanks for all the suggestions and Happy Sailing,,Rick