Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2012
Superior Sailor

Squidd is on a distinguished road
FWIW Recycled Storm Sail

When I got my boat the 150 Genny was trashed at the head for a good 10'...looked like it had caught the spreaders and shredded the top third of the sail...

I cut loose the head patch and clew patch and saved a good section of material along the leech for miscellaneous projects, sail bags, ditty bags and what nots...But there was too much of the old sail from the tack back, that was in good shape to toss out or cut up, so I "reconstructed" a smaller hank on "storm sail" out of the remenents...

I cut loose the luff rope from the head patch, and pulled it out of the luff sleeve

Then freed up the luff rope from the head/top the sail remnent...

And threaded it back in the original head reinforcing patch, sewed it to the luff sleeve, giving me a continous luff rope and rolled a new leech tape into the body of the sail...

Then I reattached the Clew reinforcing patch to the foot of the sail binding in the foot tape and rolling on the new leech tabling...

I then rolled and sewed a continuous tabling the length of the leech tyeing the head and clew together ...

Finished sail is 10' shorter in Luff and Leach and 5' shorter in foot so I'm hoping it makes a lower more stable head sail to go with a reef in the main for less than favorable conditions...

Worse case I can use it for a nice shade awning off the back of the barn..

My next task will be to clean and whiten the sails to get them ready for the coming season...
Old 03-05-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: FWIW Recycled Storm Sail

Nice work, now the bad news, it is probably not the size of a true storm jib! which is usually about 30-40% of the area of the foretriangle. I would swag you are closer to 100%, WHICH by the way, is a nice size for those 15-20 to upwards of 30-35 knot wind days with a single or double reef installed! You might even get up into the low 40 knot days, assuming the cloth is strong enough! Being as you have cut a 150 down, that would worry me a bit.

marty
Old 03-05-2012
Superior Sailor

OK.. so I made it too big...?

Sq foot wise it's about 80% of my working jib and 50% of my Genny...but 1/3 shorter than either...so I was hoping it would have less "heeling effect" when deployed...

Maybe not call it a "true" storm jib then, but just a "reefed version" of a working jib...
Old 03-05-2012

Actually, I am looking for a jib that size too, ie a #4 as some would call it. 155 is the #1, 135'ish a 2, 100-110 a 3, 80-85% of Fortriangle a 4, then down to a storm jib. Some might have a 5, then an SJ. Some like the boat I was on last weekend, the largest jib is a 110-115, so they had a heavy and light, ie cloth wts for different wind strengths. The heavy #1 might be a 110, where the light is a 112-115 in this instance. Your boat or mine, the light might be a 155, heavy a 150.

I do agree, that how you cut it etc, will have less heeling etc, and allow a high wind range of use. So reality is, you have succeeded in making a sail to meet a wind spec as you wish to have. For me, that size ib would be from 30-45 or so, my 110 is 20-30, with different reef uses depending upon a few things, ie lulls vs gusts, wave hights etc.

Marty
Old 03-06-2012
Superior Sailor

Cool... That was my goal..

Not really a "Huricane Force" sail, but something I could hank on in higher than normal winds and not heel the boat to the point it scares the wife...which would equate to going back to shore..
Old 03-06-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Looks like the clew is pretty low. Maybe hoist it a few feet off the deck? Others may know: Will it cause damage to the forestay to hoist a sail 10' short of the top? (I doubt it, but wanted to ask)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-06-2012
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road

No problem with a short hoist. You can cleat the halyard there, or add a penant to the head of the sail. Either works fine. If you do any reaching with the chute, you can play around with it as a stay sail too.
Old 03-06-2012

Not an issue to put a short pennant at the bottom of the tack, I would go shorter than longer, to as described, keep the sail lower so heeling will be less per say. Storm jibs only go up maybe 30-50% of the head stay, and those are used in what sounds like way higher winds than the OP wants. This sail may be in the 20-35 range with spouse on board with a reef or two also. Then 30-45 if one has rail meat ie race crew.

Then if gusty say 35, lulls to 15 or so, one will have a different sail setup than if it is solid 30-35, with few gusts ............

Marty
Old 03-06-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Quote:
This sail may be in the 20-35 range with spouse on board with a reef or two also. Then 30-45 if one has rail meat ie race crew.
Maybe we can call these SoB (Spouse on Board), and RM trim settings.
blt2ski likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-06-2012

I like thos options barquito!

In all reality, there will be for ANY boat, a given sail option if one would for if sailing solo, double handed with a chicken, ie my spouse, vs daughter, pulls up the spin with two of us! to a crew of 6-7 on my 30' boat when racing. Then one has to use air temps. I find when it is 80+F out, I can get to 22-24knots with a full main and 155. If it is 35-40F out, I'm into a single reef and a 110 in the mid 20 range due to the denser air in colder temps!

A lot of what one has up will depend upon many things. The sail the OP made up, should be a good option, and as I said earlier, one I would like to have myself, but I would do it with material probably 20-30% heavier than what my 155 is made of knowing the wind strength I would want to use the sail in.

Marty