SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Relocating the crossbar on the davits

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  hogesinwa 
#1 ·
I need to move the 90° tees that hold the crossbar on the ends of my davits inboard to accommodate my new Hydrovane. I.E., the crossbar is in exactly the wrong spot. If I move it inboard, it needs to be relocated inside a closed box arrangement, where there is no way to slide a rail tee in without cutting into the box.

I need a hinged rail tee like Sea Dog’s 290904. However, they only make up to 1” and the davits I have are 1 ¼”.

Does anyone know of a source for what I want or have a suggestion on how to reattach the rail across the width of the stern?
Thanks Hoges in WA

#3 ·
Nice looking SS work there.. if you can't find the required part how about taking the end caps off, sliding the 'T' fittings off and cutting them in half lengthwise. Then reassemble them within the 'box' and and through bolt them, or use flush set screws for a cleaner look?

#5 · (Edited)
Check the sailrite site. They have hinged clamps for installing a lot of their dodger tubing handrails and such. That maybe perfect for your application as the handrails have buds which stick out and would clear your davits. Some of them fit 1 and 1/4 inch tubing as I put them on our Garhauer davits. which are 1 and 1/4 inch. Our davits Kind of look like yours. If they are call Garhauer up as they are willing to fabricate stuff custom. They are a great customer service company.

Dave

#6 ·
Yes ours are Garhauer davits too. Sailrite has only 1 of the "rite" size, the hinged clamp. Unfortunately, I then need the same size to take the crossbar and their eye pieces only go to 1"
I saw some hinged clamps on another boat here in the marina (on a motor mount pad) and the fabricator says he can make them for me on Monday. Early days yet - don't know what he's thinking in $.

#8 ·
Finding no-one who had the larger of the two brackets I wanted welded together, I've gone with the hinged tee plus end caps. Of course, as soon as you step up from a standard size (1") end cap to a less common size (1&1/4), the price goes from $8 to $24. Still, I got what I needed for around $90 total. Now I think I have to cut some of the bar as the hinged tee plus the end cap together are slightly longer than my previous tee.

I've spent a lot of time down where I bought these bits buying additional engine spares, dinghy spares etc etc..

I have learnt that whatever question you ask anyone in Fort Lauderdale, about getting stuff done, the answer is always "it's down behind Lester's",
and
if West Marine doesn't send you broke, 2nd Avenue behind Lesters will!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.