Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-09-2012
hoges in wa

hogesinwa is on a distinguished road
Relocating the crossbar on the davits

I need to move the 90° tees that hold the crossbar on the ends of my davits inboard to accommodate my new Hydrovane. I.E., the crossbar is in exactly the wrong spot. If I move it inboard, it needs to be relocated inside a closed box arrangement, where there is no way to slide a rail tee in without cutting into the box.

I need a hinged rail tee like Sea Dog’s 290904. However, they only make up to 1” and the davits I have are 1 ¼”.

Does anyone know of a source for what I want or have a suggestion on how to reattach the rail across the width of the stern?
Thanks Hoges in WA
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-09-2012
hoges in wa

Re: Relocating the crossbar on the davits PHOTOS

I want to move the bar from the tee it is currently in to the blocked in section inboard. I don't want to cut the bar and slide on a tee, I want a hinged tee that will clamp around the bar then allow the crossbar to be reinstalled.

https://picasaweb.google.com/hogesin...DI_aL3xff21AE#
Old 03-09-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Relocating the crossbar on the davits

Nice looking SS work there.. if you can't find the required part how about taking the end caps off, sliding the 'T' fittings off and cutting them in half lengthwise. Then reassemble them within the 'box' and and through bolt them, or use flush set screws for a cleaner look?

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-09-2012
hoges in wa

Good idea. I think I've found a hinged rail clamp that I can add a top cap to that might do the job. A company out in California makes them. I've got a request in to see if they think it will work.
Old 03-10-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Check the sailrite site. They have hinged clamps for installing a lot of their dodger tubing handrails and such. That maybe perfect for your application as the handrails have buds which stick out and would clear your davits. Some of them fit 1 and 1/4 inch tubing as I put them on our Garhauer davits. which are 1 and 1/4 inch. Our davits Kind of look like yours. If they are call Garhauer up as they are willing to fabricate stuff custom. They are a great customer service company.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 03-10-2012 at 01:34 AM.
Old 03-10-2012
hoges in wa

Yes ours are Garhauer davits too. Sailrite has only 1 of the "rite" size, the hinged clamp. Unfortunately, I then need the same size to take the crossbar and their eye pieces only go to 1"
I saw some hinged clamps on another boat here in the marina (on a motor mount pad) and the fabricator says he can make them for me on Monday. Early days yet - don't know what he's thinking in $.
Old 03-10-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I believe Kato makes what you are looking for. Their crossbars attach inside the box and they do use 1.25" for wider apps.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-13-2012
hoges in wa

Finding no-one who had the larger of the two brackets I wanted welded together, I've gone with the hinged tee plus end caps. Of course, as soon as you step up from a standard size (1") end cap to a less common size (1&1/4), the price goes from $8 to $24. Still, I got what I needed for around $90 total. Now I think I have to cut some of the bar as the hinged tee plus the end cap together are slightly longer than my previous tee.

I've spent a lot of time down where I bought these bits buying additional engine spares, dinghy spares etc etc..

I have learnt that whatever question you ask anyone in Fort Lauderdale, about getting stuff done, the answer is always "it's down behind Lester's",
and
if West Marine doesn't send you broke, 2nd Avenue behind Lesters will!