Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-15-2003

Irwin32 is on a distinguished road
Stereos

I am upgrading the stereo on my 32. I already have a 45w Alpine CD/radio. I am considering a pair of boston Acoustic indoor/outdoors for about $400 to use inside the cabin.

I am also considering going off the deep end and spending a $800 or more for a system with sub woofers and sattellites. I am considering 1 or 2 10" subs mounted to the ceiling, all the way forward, in the V berth with a power amp driving the system. My main cabin layout is pretty standard so I was planning on my satellites at the midship bulkheads facing aft. I am interested in knowing what others who have good sounding systems have done. A couple of 4" with a built in tweeter are not good enough for me. I''m a musician and need to have an above average system.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-15-2003
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Stereos

Dear Irwin 32,

Nice plans for your sound system. Good luck with it. Just hope I never have to anchor next to you.
Old 11-16-2003

Silmaril is on a distinguished road
Stereos

The system you are putting together sounds like it will be a nice one. I would have to assume that you are never going to leave the dock or you plan on having an onboard generator installed to power this system.

You are missing the point in one area. All the amplifier power you will require to drive this "audiophile" quality system has TREMENDOUS power requirements. And the systems waste a giant amount of thier energy requirements in heat, no interest in making them effecient from the manufacturers. And your proposed subwoofers will be the biggest power hogs of all. In your home stereo, you may think that 100 watts is no big deal, needing, say, not much more than a couple of amps to deliver that power. But in a 12vdc system, the required current will be closer to 25 amps, once you take into concideration the power wasted by the amp in the form of heat. Check the fuse requirements of a quality 50 watt per channel amp and you will see what I mean.

You had better plan on adding significantly to your battery banks, along with a quality current monitoring system, to ensure you are not left in the dark after only an hour or two of listening.
Old 11-16-2003

Stereos

Just so you know, I run a Kenwood head unit, Eclipse 75 watt/channel stereo amp, Sony EQ, and Klipsch indoor/outdoor ported 2 way monitors mounted to my salon''s forward bulkhead, corner loaded to avoid the need for a subwoofer.

I use a Link 20 dual bank monitor watching over my two 4D house batteries. I use a dedicated starting battery and a battery combiner.
Old 11-16-2003

Stereos

Thanks Simaril - I was completely unaware of the power draw of a sub woofer. I do leave the dock and I do a lot of cruising. I only have 2 batteries and have no desire to add more. Looks like I may drop the sub woofer idea.

How large are the Klipsches? I have Klipsch at home and love them. What if I run speakers like this off the power available in the deck w/o using any type of power amp?

SailorMitch: Hah! Actually,I am curteous and considerate of my neighbors. More power means better - not neccessarily louder - sound. Nothing I dislike more than someone who thinks the rest of the dock shares their taste in music.

I usually don''t play my stereo under sail because I like the sounds of nature and the boat. But when I do listen to music, I want the sound good - tight bass and clear, crisp highs. You can slip next to me without worry.
Old 11-17-2003

Yodagwb is on a distinguished road
Stereos

Try takin a listen to the Polks Atrium indoor/outdoor speakers. They sound great, are cheaper than the Bose and do an great job of supporting the base (no need for a sub woofer). They sounded so good out side in the cockpit under the rail seats I got another set for inside.
Old 11-17-2003

Stereos

The Klipsch are the HS-1. With only a 4.5" woofer, with a port, I "flipped" mine, so the woofer was closer to the headliner, and nestled into a corner to maximize bass boost.

The problem you will have is getting any sort of quality sound out of the integrated amp in your Alpine. Most are rated at 1% thd at 1khz at rated power. My Eclipse is rated at 0.01% thd 20-20khz at rated power. The integrated amps are meant for a car, where ambient noise levels will cover the amps lousy thd. When listening to classical or jazz, while sipping a nice Merlot at anchor, you will notice the difference.
Old 11-17-2003

Stereos

Simaril - When you say a head unit, what do you mean. Is your kenwood a car player running through the Eclipse or what? I am sort of stuck in the past when it comes to stereos - I''m over 50.

Can I get my Alpine to give me the sound I am looking for by using a power amp?

The Eclipse is nice stuff. I bought a CD player for my car and like its open sound. Actually, it sounds as if your taste in sound may be similar to mine.

I don''t want to trash my Alpine, as I have had it only 2 seasons. what would you reccomend I do without adding more batteries?
Old 11-17-2003

Stereos

Thanks for the recomendation of the Polks - I will check them out. It is winter in the Great Lakes region and what else do I have to do with my spare time now that the boat is on the hard. I enjoy shopping for stereo stuff.