Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Catalina 30 standing rigging

Harbor fright makes a knock off connector

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-09-2012

alanr77 is on a distinguished road

Harbor freight.....lmao. Denise, that is a serious looking swage tool. $$$$
Old 03-09-2012

wise4 is on a distinguished road

I love harbor freight..... However, There's no way I would ever use one of their connectors to hold up a mast....

LOL....
Old 03-09-2012

wise4 is on a distinguished road

I'm curious... If you go with the oversized wire... Are you going to tension it to the original spec or the correct spec for the new wire?

As a side note... It's scary how so many sailboat owners think it safer to under tension their rigging....
Old 03-09-2012

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Just to throw it out there again, I'd contact Hayn and see what they have to say.

Then you have real information to weigh in making your decision.

If you do please post their response.

ďIf a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 03-09-2012

wise4: I don't tension my rig to any standard spec. I use the recommended range of tension via Loos gauge to get into the ballpark then tune the mast both static and while underway. I agree with the under tension issue but at the same time I have seen boats that you could play music using the shrouds. And then they wonder why they get stress cracks around the base of the mast. There is really no need to go up in size for the rigging on my boat, other than the fact that I tend to bulletproof everything. My OCD forces me to double reverse clamp everything, even above the waterline hoses. I put backing plates under the mounts for my bimini....OCD is expensive. But at least when I drink to much I can trip and fall into my bimini and not have to worry about it ripping out of the base and falling into the water. Instead I bounce off of it and I fall into the water...Someone earlier noted that the cost difference is due to the size difference; however, the cost difference between 1/4" hardware and wires and 9/32" is not much. The strength difference is quite a bit. What I didn't expect was the cost difference between the CD kit and others. However, I did notice that even by staying with the same size 1x19 wire, the cost difference between the CD kit and the Hi-mod kit is alot.

Last edited by alanr77; 03-09-2012 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-09-2012

Jim, I will as soon as I come up with the right questions to ask. I would imagine that of course they will tell me their stuff is better than what CD uses, and that it's worth evey penny. But I need to know why it's better and why I should pay twice as much. As a fellow C-30 owner I am sure you believe that these are generally well put together boats and that they respond favorably to well thought out upgrades.
Old 03-09-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanr77 View Post
But I need to know why it's better and why I should pay twice as much.
There's your start for the questions to ask.

Soon as I catch my breath over this re-power, I'll move onto other upgrades and look into the rigging myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 03-09-2012

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

Alan

Were you comparing 316 with 316 wire in your pricing? That could account for a fairly large difference in pricing.

I would think going up slightly in wire size would be ok, but certainly not double as you want for some wires (lowers). The only good reason to upsize wire is if the original was wrong which is not very likely. Catalina made over 7000 30's and we would certainly know about it by now.

Wire should be tensioned to about 15% of the wire's breaking load. By going to heavier wire there will be a great deal more tension on the entire boat.

Wire (1 x 19) will stretch the same regardless of its diameter if tensioned to the same percentage of its breaking load. In other words 1/8" wire at 5% of its working load will stretch the same amount (about 1mm for each 2 meters) as 1/2" wire at 5% of its breaking load. The only way your old rigging stretched too much is if it was over tensioned.

You stated you have heavier chainplates, tangs, etc. But you have the same boat. All heavier wire will do when tensioned properly is bend the hull more. And there is nothing you can do about that.

Here is the best rigging guide I have seen, from Selden - they know a bit about rigging. It is a pdf you can download for free. http://www.riggingandsails.com/pdf/selden-tuning.pdf

The best 1 x 19 type 316 rigging wire available today is from Korea. Any good rigger can confirm this. Loos in the US is getting out of the rigging wire business and the riggers I have talked to state that the Korean wire is better than Loos wire as well.

And here is a fact from the Selden guide:
Attached Thumbnails
Catalina 30 standing rigging-1.jpg  

Last edited by mitiempo; 03-09-2012 at 03:39 PM. Reason: add
Old 03-09-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

I like redundancy myself. Like when we would AC and Heat a large building. better multiple smaller units then one large.
On the boat; instead of a split back stay why's not a double? and OK on the headstay for larger. Shrouds, well maybe a secondary Lighter ones for the masthead then replacing the OEM with heavier?
And, emergency rudder, back up gps, back up radar, port and window storm boards, extra coffee, waterproof undies...

my current "project"!