Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2012

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
Re: Catalina 30 standing rigging

Alan,
I would guess sizing the rigging is a series of trade-offs and balance like most things in boat design. Some of which have come up in this thread, but some may not have.

You might try contacting Catalina. Pose the question that you're thinking of upgrading the wire size, what other parts of the boat will be affected by that change?

Jim
DRFerron likes this.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-11-2012

alanr77 is on a distinguished road

Island Time: I will definitely research it quite a bit before making a final decision. The rigging job is coming up soon hence the reason I started putting out "feelers" to check my thinking. Currently getting my butt kicked by a window reseal kit, The man who designed the way old C-30 windows seal should be shot. I did notice that my upper shrouds are bigger than my f/r shrouds. I wonder if the suggestion to enlarge the wire was for older/original C-30's. I am certain that my rigging is not original. It may have been already upgraded at some point. 1/4" on the forestay, backstay and upper shrouds, then 1 size down for the lower...
Old 03-11-2012

Alan, you piqued my curiosity. I did a Google search and didn't come up with any reports of standing rigging failures on early C30's or any recommendations to upgrade the rigging. About the only thing I could find or that I've heard of is upgrading the wooden spreaders on early boats to the later model aluminum spreaders.

Nearly 7,000 of these boats have been built and sailed all over the world -- many in more demanding conditions than their target coastal cruising market. With so many boats out there if there was a known problem or a need to upgrade the rigging there'd be info all over the web.

The C30 is a pretty tough boat. I'd replace the rigging with the stock sizes, and yes the uppers are heavier than the lowers. The link below will take you to the owners manual for your boat. Page 6 of the PDF has the rigging schedule for your boat.

C30 MKI Owners Manual

BTW, Catalina Direct also has kits with Norseman fittings. That would be a better comparison with the Hayn fittings. I still think it would be worth an email to Hayn to ask why the price difference between their product and the Catalina Direct kits. If there is a difference in wire quality that can be quantified you can make an informed decision.

Best of luck,
Jim

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White

Last edited by JimMcGee; 03-11-2012 at 04:06 PM.
Old 03-11-2012

Alan, this might also come in handy

C30 MKI Parts List

Old 03-11-2012

mitiempo will become famous soon enough

Alan

What many people do if they are re-rigging themselves is get swages for the upper end professionally done with the wire a foot overlength and install mechanical fittings (Hayn, Sta-Lok, or Norseman) on the lower end only. It keeps the cost down and swages are a lot less likely to have corrosion problems at the top end.
Old 03-11-2012

alanr77 is on a distinguished road

The information on the increased wire diameter came from a Practical Sailor article on the C-30. It sparked my curiosity as well, hence the troubleshooting. Doing what you did, a google search, I too was unable to come up with anything else. The Norseman kit is being considered from CD. However, Knothead made a good point regarding the longevity of a properly done swage.