Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2012

alanr77 is on a distinguished road
Catalina 30 standing rigging

Doing the research on replacing my standing rigging. The boat currently has the old closed turnbuckle fittings and seriously needs upgrading. I have found a kit on CatalinaDirect that is around $800 for everything. However, I would like to do this myself and while I'm at it increase the headstay, backstay and upper shrouds to 9/32 (from 1/4) and increase the size of the forward and aft stays to 1/4 (from 1/8) so I put together a kit of my own. The price difference is staggering. 3x the price to do it myself. Here is what I put together;

hay12CTE932 Hayn Hi-MOD Eye - 9/32 In. Wire - 1/2 In Pin $51.52 8ea $412.16
hay12CTS932 Hayn Hi-MOD Stud 9/32 In. Wire - 1/2 In. UNF Thread $48.27 4ea $193.08
HAY12TFBSS932 Hayn Jaw to Swage Turnbuckle 9/32 wire x 1/2 pin $69.66 4ea $278.64
hay12CTE14 Hayn Hi-MOD Eye - 1/4 In. Wire - 1/2 In Pin $48.85 4ea $195.40
hay12CTS14 Hayn Hi-MOD Stud 1/4 In. Wire - 1/2 In. UNF Thread $40.86 4ea $163.44
HAY12TFBSS14 Hayn Jaw to Swage Turnbuckle 1/4 wire x 1/2 pin $66.00 4ea $264.00
SCH8447 Schaefer Triangle Plate, 1/2 In. Pin $73.28 1ea $73.28
rig9321X19 Loos Type 316 1x19 Rigging Wire - 9/32 In. $2.60 212ea $551.20
rig141X19 Loos Type 316 1x19 Rigging Wire - 1/4 In. $2.21 104ea $229.84
Total: $2361.04

Is this equipment that much better than the CD kit? Why does it cost so much more and is it worth the extra cost?

Last edited by alanr77; 03-09-2012 at 01:38 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-09-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: Catalina 30 standing rigging

I don't see that you're comparing like to like and you've increased the size of everything so the cost would naturally be more from that standpoint. Are you pricing your kit from a source other than CD?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 03-09-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough

I did the Cal 29 with topshelf stuff for 1100 dollars in material and i sure cant see were 3X the price would have changed anything as it is perfect

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 03-09-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

I'm also thinking that CD buys in bulk so the cost to them is less to begin with, where alan would not be.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 03-09-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I'm not a standing rigging pro. Are you upsizing for a good technical reason or does it just feel better? Generally speaking, one doesn't want more weight aloft than necessary. The kit sounds like a pretty good deal to me. If it wears a tad sooner, you can certain afford to buy it again forthe difference in cost. However, I expect it's longevity is just fine.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-09-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

A 1/4 inch circle has an area of 0.049 square inches

A 5/16 inch circle has an area of 0.076 square inches.

The increase in size and, therefore weight, will be 56% !! That's pretty significant.

Engineers can check my math.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Last edited by Minnewaska; 03-09-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old 03-09-2012

wise4 is on a distinguished road

Just finished replacing my standing rigging (1980 cat 30). I simply ordered rigging slightly larger than needed with swaged (sp?) eyes on the top and used Norseman fittings on the bottom... I also replaced the old closed turnbuckles and upgraded the lower shroud chainplates and replaced the upper shroud chainplates. I considered going with beefier rigging but in the end just couldn't come up with a real reason to do so.

Btw... I replaced the lower shrouds and chainplates while the boat was in it's slip.... The upper pins on all of it was pretty much welded in place and required a grinder (cut off wheel) to remove.

Because of a failed shaft seal, I ended up hauling the boat and went ahead and stepped the mast at the same time - so all the upper stuff was done on the ground . Ended up keeping the boat out for 7 days to finish the rigging, rewire the mast, repaint the mast, replace and install antenna's, lighting, misc hardware, replace shaft seal with a new PSS, replace prop, complete bottom job, compound wax and buff sides.... And a few other things...

A very tough week... The only thing not DIY was the bottom job... Just didn't have the time and energy left....

I don't recall exactly what I paid for the rigging materials as I bought it a couple pieces at a time over a few months.... I do recall Catalina direct was slightly higher than some other online rigging outfits...

Curious... Why do you think you need beefier rigging? And do you have the upgraded lower shroud chainplates?
Old 03-09-2012

alanr77 is on a distinguished road

DRFerron: I assembled the kit off of Hayn website.

Minniewaska: It is recommended on the C-30 to go 1 size larger on the upper shrouds, forestay and backstay. The original size wires stretch to much. In addition, I overbuild everything...to a point. I am aware of the increased weight aloft but the stronger hardware (1/2" pins) give me piece of mind. I tend to take my boats places where they should not be so I like to be able to trust my parts.

Wise4: I have new chainplates, upgraded shroud chainplates, new tangs and am in the process of replacing my bulkheads with 5/8" marine grade stuff.
Old 03-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanr77 View Post
......Minniewaska: It is recommended on the C-30 to go 1 size larger on the upper shrouds, forestay and backstay. The original size wires stretch to much. In addition, I overbuild everything...to a point. I am aware of the increased weight aloft but the stronger hardware (1/2" pins) give me piece of mind. I tend to take my boats places where they should not be so I like to be able to trust my parts......
Okay. I'm unfamiliar with the recommendation. Stretch sounds to me like a performance issue, more than durability. Your comment about going places and pice of mind sounds more like you want durability. I could be wrong.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 03-09-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

5, C-30s owners in my YC, none have ever mentioned stretching as a prob. Seriously. There is overkill and there is over the top. Save the $ and get the package from CD. You will still have a bolt on keel, spade rudder, big thin plastic windows, which limit your offshore capabilities.
Jus sayin...

my current "project"!