Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2012
Remember you're a womble

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road
Re: Blue topsides

Ah paint it orange. All boats should be orange

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-10-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

The darker you go, the more it will show.

That's actually why a really dark hull that is in Bristol condition looks so beautiful. Perfection.

I think you can keep a painted hull looking good for longer than you estimate. My last paint job looked almost new after 6 years and was only repainted due to storm damage. It was cared for very well.

I have been told, although can't swear it is true, that the increased hull temp from the darker colors will further cure and shrink the glass, at least on newer boats. That can cause ribs to print through and become very noticeable, after you paint. I will bet, if that is true, it either only applies to lower end hulls or depends on internal rib structure in the first place, but who knows.

I am going to assume on an older boat, that is moot. However, I've never noticed printing on a white boat, while I'm sure its there. One would want to fair the hull very well before painting a dark color, in any case.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-10-2012
Sailor

Gladrags1 is on a distinguished road

I don't know about ribs "printing" on the hull due to the increased heat but the hull DOES get warmer inside than a white hull. That will have an effect on refrigeration. I love the look of a dark hull but they have their practical drawbacks!
Old 03-10-2012

St Anna is on a distinguished road

Gotta love the blue. I agree with all teh above comments about scars and touch ups, but, its worth it.

Faster likes this.

Old 03-10-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
The darker you go, the more it will show.

That's actually why a really dark hull that is in Bristol condition looks so beautiful. Perfection.

I think you can keep a painted hull looking good for longer than you estimate. My last paint job looked almost new after 6 years and was only repainted due to storm damage. It was cared for very well.

I have been told, although can't swear it is true, that the increased hull temp from the darker colors will further cure and shrink the glass, at least on newer boats. That can cause ribs to print through and become very noticeable, after you paint. I will bet, if that is true, it either only applies to lower end hulls or depends on internal rib structure in the first place, but who knows.

I am going to assume on an older boat, that is moot. However, I've never noticed printing on a white boat, while I'm sure its there. One would want to fair the hull very well before painting a dark color, in any case.
I think fabric "print through" would be more the problem than internal structure showing.

Who cares anyway, nothing shouts "Yacht" more than a dark blue hull with gold stripes. Every Hinckley I saw in the BVI was done that way - 'Nuff said.

One thing to consider - dark colours will "shorten" a boat visually. Lighter colours make it look bigger.

P.S. in this area I have yet to see a boat painted with 2-part (Imron, AwlGrip etc.) that needed refinishing - even after 10 years or more they still looked fabulous.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 03-10-2012

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

This paint's at least 13 years old - Awlgrip Flag Blue.

I found that what look like scratches from docking are, in fact, deposits of white plastic from the fenders - and they come right off with Acetone.
Old 03-11-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
This paint's at least 13 years old - Awlgrip Flag Blue.

I found that what look like scratches from docking are, in fact, deposits of white plastic from the fenders - and they come right off with Acetone.
Highly recommend fleece fender covers. A company in Maine, named Maine Point, custom made mine for half of what the chandleries sell them for. Dozens of colors to choose from it seemed. Maybe you'll get another 13 yrs! That's awesome, looks great.

Welcome to Maine Point

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-11-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Highly recommend fleece fender covers. A company in Maine, named Maine Point, custom made mine for half of what the chandleries sell them for. Dozens of colors to choose from it seemed. Maybe you'll get another 13 yrs! That's awesome, looks great.

Welcome to Maine Point
or a sports consignment store - buy some hockey socks!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-11-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
or a sports consignment store - buy some hockey socks!
You must have mighty big calves. My fenders are 12" in diameter.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 03-11-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

You're right, it might be tough to find. That's size "small" in Ontario. We don't stock those peewee sizes much.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.