Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
Blue topsides

I have white topsides that are in pretty bad shape. I plan on painting this spring. I know the downsides of a dark blue hull, but, like the look. Is there an effective way to avoid having bright white show through when I get scratches in the blue paint?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-09-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Blue topsides

Yes, use more coats of blue paint.

Even if the blue was original gelcoat, when you scratch it the "white" structure under it will show. And however you paint, once you paint you must always repaint. Even the folks who make the best "coatings" will tell you, it has to be redone every 10 years or so. And maintained in between.
Old 03-09-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Nothing looks 'better' to my eye than a pristine 'flag blue' hull when it's clean and shiny.. but there's really no way to avoid scars in dark colours other than avoid making them in the first place.

When we repainted a previous boat we knew we'd never get it fair enough for a dark colour like that, but didn't want white, or red (which seems to suffer degradation faster than other colours) so chose Awlgrip's 'whisper grey'.. it's a nice compromise looks kinda classy and it's something that gets you out of the 'chlorox bottle' genre. Also a variety of trim and stripe colours work well with it.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-09-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

That's the holy grail you're looking for. Docking becomes a whole new stress.

I love the look too. Darker the better. Flag blue is just too common. Majestic is the way to go.

They say the new Alexseal is repairable, assuming you are thinking Awlgrip. Invented by the original inventor of Awlgrp after noncompete contract expired. I used it, but (fingers crossed) havent needed to repair it yet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-09-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Quote:
.. but there's really no way to avoid scars in dark colours other than avoid making them in the first place.
I thought that would probably be the consensus... don't run into sh*t

My expectations are that is would look good initially, OK after a few years, beat-up for a few years, then re-do.

This will be DIY, roll and tip. I did Brightsides on a previous boat and found I had some brush marks, but, was happy with the results... in white. Will it be really difficult to get decent finish in a dark color?
Old 03-09-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Dark colours show up imperfections in fairing much more readily than lighter colours, and also, esp in salt water, REALLY show the dried salt. However that may be a good thing as you're motivated to rinse it away as often as you can.. not entirely a bad thing.

I know one fastidious owner that sponges the boat down at anchor after sailing for the day.

But if rolling and tipping leaves you with 'brush marks' they'll be much more visible in a dark colour. Look into reducers formulated esp for rolling and tipping, and I believe there are additives available to help paint 'flow' out more readily (hopefully without running!!)

Good luck!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-09-2012

Waltthesalt is on a distinguished road

ony thing about dark blue, which I have. If your rub-rails are old and white their oxidation will streak the sides. I'm replacing my '74 vintage rubrails at about $400 because of it.
Cal-29
Old 03-09-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post

When we repainted a previous boat we knew we'd never get it fair enough for a dark colour like that, but didn't want white, or red (which seems to suffer degradation faster than other colours)
Red doesn't just SEEM to degrade faster, it actually does. Red pigments are the weakest re: sun degradation, of all pigments. This applies to all finishes - paint, gel, autos - you name it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 03-09-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Whiskeyjack has been dark blue since May 2010. One of the reasons we painted her with Brightside was because we knew she would get scratched from time to time, and Brightside is easily repairable on the water. Wet sand, wipe down, touch up with a foam brush, tip with a foam brush, done.

Old 03-10-2012
prwg, NOW!

chrisncate is on a distinguished road

No - the scratches will be white if deep enough, always. Like the douchey bully said though - brightside for the win (and ease of repair).

I have already done one "lean over the side" touch up since the refit, and I now have another that I am waiting for a warm day to get done. Loving your flag blue is like choosing to go with varnish, it's gonna own you but it's well worth it

Last edited by chrisncate; 03-10-2012 at 12:27 AM.