Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-20-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: AGM batteries: Someone using them?

Paulo,

Did you look at the Lifeline 6 Volt- GPL-4 CT? The "footprint is 4 of them equals about the space of 3 group 31 and you wind up with 440 ah at 20 hrs. WE have 6 of them and remembr they can be laid on their sides even. An extra 60 lbs gets you 70 more ah or another 2 days without charging for us. You will be a happy with either Lifeline as long as you equalize them. They have 1 year full and 5 year limited warrenties also.

To measure our battery compartment for space or fit I made cardboard shoe boxes in the size of the batterries and fitted them in the space before buying them to figure out space and the right configuration as they are too heavy to play around with..

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Paulo,

Did you look at the Lifeline 6 Volt- GPL-4 CT? The "footprint is 4 of them equals about the space of 3 group 31 and you wind up with 440 ah at 20 hrs. WE have 6 of them and remembr they can be laid on their sides even. An extra 60 lbs gets you 70 more ah or another 2 days without charging for us. You will be a happy with either Lifeline as long as you equalize them. They have 1 year full and 5 year limited warrenties also.

To measure our battery compartment for space or fit I made cardboard shoe boxes in the size of the batterries and fitted them in the space before buying them to figure out space and the right configuration as they are too heavy to play around with..

Dave
Yes, I have seen them and when I saw them I understood why you have chosen 6V batteries. The size makes them very versatile in what concerns storage. Basically I have to study the best way to put the Max capacity on that battery box.

The 6 volt batteries are not excluded. I have to see what the best arrangement is. However putting them on another place is out of question. Batteries are heavy and that box is over the keel at the boat center and I want to keep the weight there

Regards

Paulo
Old 03-27-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road

What about lifepo4? Less fire risk than Li-on. Pings packs are pretty reasonable.
24V is the lowest standard pack but he builds custom packs too. Well regarded in the e-bike community, he stands behind his work and builds solid and reliable packs.

Ping specs:

Leadtime: 7 days
It will take about 7 days for us to build and test this new battery pack for you.

Specifications:
Suitable Wattage of Motor: up to 800W rated motor, 600 Watt suggested
Applications: E-Bike, Electric Bike, E-Scooter, Electric Scooter
Voltage: 24 Volts
Capacity: 30 Amp Hours
Dimension: 300x105x150 mm / 11.9x4.1x5.9 inches
Weight: 7.50 kg / 16.5 lbs
Charging Voltage: 30 Volts
Charging Current: <10 Amps
Rated Discharging Amperage: 30 Amps
Max Continuous Discharging Amperage: 60 Amps
Maximum Discharging Current: 100 Amps
Discharging Cut-off Protection: 75 Amps
Lifecycle of the whole pack: >85% capacity after 1000 cycles. Lifecycle of single cell: >85% capacity after 1500 cycles, >70% capacity after 3000 cycles. (<1C discharge rate and <1C charge rate)

Or alternatively, Golden Motors (goldenmotors.ca) makes some good large batteries, they use large flat cells IIRC. They are typically 48V, but can also build custom packs as well.

Both in the standard car battery format(to fit exisiting systems) and in stainless rectangular columns(wires at top)
48V20AH and 30AH respectively

Pricey but if you are short on space, or you need something that AGM can't do they might be a good option.