Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2012

souljour2000 is on a distinguished road
Re: "Careening" sailboat while floating ?

I dunno...horses for courses...but I think drying the boat out for a few days at least before painting is the only way I will do it...and it will likley be in a yard...just 'cause I don't wanna spend 300 bucks or more on bottom paint that don't have a good dry surface to adhere to but that's me...just sayin...other folks may just need anti-fouling quick and bad....and don't care if it sticks well..or if there's a good base barrier coat...they want some anti-foul and they want it now...so it seems as in so many things in life there's a way forward for whatever you are after...depending on what you'll pay...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-10-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

This idea, if practical at all would really only be good for a scrub, (or maybe a gutsy through hull swap [not recommended!!]), not anything like painting or changing zincs etc....

The thing is it's surprisingly hard to do, even with a lightweight lightly ballasted boat.. despite the apparent ease with which you can 'dip the rail' on a windy day. Gives you some perspective on the forces involved...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-10-2012

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
This idea, if practical at all would really only be good for a scrub, (or maybe a gutsy through hull swap [not recommended!!]), not anything like painting or changing zincs etc....

The thing is it's surprisingly hard to do, even with a lightweight lightly ballasted boat.. despite the apparent ease with which you can 'dip the rail' on a windy day. Gives you some perspective on the forces involved...
It's surprisingly easy to do on a steep sandy beach and, beyond excellent scrubbing, we always had a clean dry surface for paint except the bottom of the keel. As you advised, though, we never did a through hull swap! However, even now, I'll replace a shaft zinc with a mask and snorkel and three or four dives holding my breath. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 03-10-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainForce View Post
It's surprisingly easy to do on a steep sandy beach and, beyond excellent scrubbing, we always had a clean dry surface for paint except the bottom of the keel. As you advised, though, we never did a through hull swap! However, even now, I'll replace a shaft zinc with a mask and snorkel and three or four dives holding my breath. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Yes, but the OP is proposing using a halyard to heel a boat over at the dock.. that's a completely different thing than laying her on her side on a beach...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Yes, but the OP is proposing using a halyard to heel a boat over at the dock.. that's a completely different thing than laying her on her side on a beach...
Sure, I'm well aware of this. Knowing how difficult it is to careen while afloat is the very reason why I am suggesting an easier method. We usually inspect an area of steep sandy beach in an area of protected water making sure there are no rocks or debris and then place the boat aground parallel to the beach at high tide with the bow slightly more to shore. I also fix my position with anchors and pull a halyard from the masthead to a point abeam and ashore to insure that the boat leans to shore. As the tide lowers the currents mold the sand around the grounded hull providing better support than I would expect in a sling. Finding a good location for careening can be difficult in some areas. Obviously, you need a tidal range greater than your draft and we choose to careen on the first of a series of increasing tidal ranges. It's also best to have the lows during good daylight for painting. We always used fresh water to rinse the salt off before drying for painting. This is still a difficult task. We used to gather with two or three other boats and work in community like the old "barn raisings" and have cook outs on the beach at the times waiting for the tide. I'll admit that this was a common activity for us in our salad days. Now, in our sixties, we normally pay the yard fee. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Dean101 likes this.
Old 03-11-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

I've usually seen legs suggested as sets of FOUR. So the boat can't bob and weave and is supported a lot firmer. I suppose if your keel has a big flat bottom and you jam it in like a giant lawn dart...

Careening while floating would be called HEELING THE BOAT. Heeling the boat to bring a damaged section above the waterline for inspection or repair is entirely routine and unremarkable, that's probably why you'd find so little written about it.

The dog whisperer says, it is the difference between "Lie down" and "Give me your paw".
Old 03-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
I've usually seen legs suggested as sets of FOUR. So the boat can't bob and weave and is supported a lot firmer. I suppose if your keel has a big flat bottom and you jam it in like a giant lawn dart.............................................. ...
I am assuming that you are referring to the careening against the sand as the "giant lawn dart" and the four supporting legs as the "lot firmer". It's probably wise to consider the size of the surface area with this comparison and the old Irish proverb that states, "You can't fall off the floor!"
Old 03-11-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

No, I mean using the keel itself as the giant lawn dart--like that Vega. Heck, if you canspike the keel in deep enough, who needs legs? Thta's just called running hard aground, right? :-)

Surface area only counts if you can't spike anything in, and you need "mud plates" on the bottom of the legs. Or if you want to be able to pull the legs back off a sucking mud bottom.

Lawn darts never carren, unless you broke off the pointy end and laid 'em down.
Old 03-12-2012

Hellosailor, Now I understand,- Thanks. I've always careened with full keels and avoided the mud. Of course, cleaning and painting the keel was an objective in careening so I would not have wanted it buried.