Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2012

Robinsson Crusoe is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb "Careening" sailboat while floating ?

Is it possible maintain/repair/paint bottom of sailboat by tilting it floating in sea? I assumed at least most modern sailboats would be possible tilt sufficiently for accessing bottom and make at least emergency repair and inspections. I searched Internet for tips and experiences about that - but I found nothing anywhere. While much was mentioned about "careening" using tide.

I have no saiboat myself, but a friend has one equipped with "saildrive" where it could be advantageous getting access to saildrive "leg" for inspection, gear oil exchange, etc without lifting the boat up at shipyard etc. He himself was unsure if this was feasible but did not exclude the possibility.

Has anyone in this forum experience or knowledge about this potential possibility?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-09-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: "Careening" sailboat while floating ?

We have careened a small 24 foot day racer to facilitate scrubbing the bottom .. this was a lightweight (2600lb) boat, rather tender. Using the spin halyard and winch we were able to get perhaps 20 degrees heel by tying off on a float a boatlength or two abeam. It did not go over easily.

The other issue is the boat tends to skid over towards the dock you're working from, so unless you can tie it off across, you end up with little room to work alongside the dock.

Practically speaking getting more than 10 degrees heel this way on a typical cruiser racer (with 35-45% ballast ratio) is probably going to be hard to do. Unless it's absolutely calm conditions trying to do anything other than scrub (ie paint) would be problematic.. you'd still have pretty limited access to the bottom of the boat.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-09-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Where is that video of the sailboat using big bags of water (weights) to heel the boat over to get under a bridge that was too high?

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-09-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

That was impressive but it took what must have been a few tons of water... that amount of force would be hard to develop with manpower. Maybe tying off to a ground point at low tide and letting the tide do it for you would work...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-09-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Proabaly easier and safer to beach the boat if it's in a tidal area that has enough height of tide. or use beach legs!

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-10-2012

Robinsson Crusoe is on a distinguished road

Thanks "Faster", "CalebD" and "deniseO30" for interesting comments and
answers to my question.
Old 03-10-2012

klem is on a distinguished road

I have done this a few times with a very small keel sailboat and it is really tough. Finding a way to exert enough force on the end of the mast is pretty tough. I also worry a little bit about damaging the rig since it is a lot of load and all at one point with a very poor lead over your masthead sheave.

To get the boat over far enough to access half the bottom, you really need to exert a lot of force which unfortunately, pulls the boat down a little lower in the water. I remember not being able to get one over far enough one time because the cockpit was flooding. Also, I wouldn't feel very safe working under the boat and there would not be too many ways to put a safety on it.

It can be done but it seems like there would be easier and safer ways to do it.
Old 03-10-2012

Daydreamer22 is on a distinguished road

Careening was done on square rigged wooden boats by removing all the river rock ballast and stores from within, then the crew of 30 to 50 men would haul the boat on the beach and tip it on one side to repair the other. Just read about this.

Seems the fixed keel of most modern sailboats would make this extra difficult as posted above. Then there is the matter of finding a crew of 30-50.
Old 03-10-2012

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

Careening a modern boat is difficult.

Get legs. These pics are from Mostly About Boats showing Peter's Vega on the beach near Sooke B.C.

Article on Sailnet here Giving Your Boat Some Legs by James Baldwin as well.
Attached Thumbnails
"Careening" sailboat while floating ?-p1000244.jpg   "Careening" sailboat while floating ?-p1000256.jpg  
Old 03-10-2012

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough

The photos above are frightening to me. There's no way I'd climb aboard such a balanced vessel or be scraping and painting under the turn of the bilge. We careened both of our full keel Morgans at sandy beaches with a >6' tide back in the 70's and 80's, but that was always one side to the shore at a time and a very stable nest. Take care and joy, Aythya crew

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.