Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sailormon6

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2012

FlyingScot255 is on a distinguished road
Bent Catalina 22 Turnbuckle Remedy Anyone?

Every year I have to replace some turnbuckles simply due to use. Last season when I was de-masting my 1979 Catalina 22 I could see that the angle the forward and aft 1/4" turnbuckles had bent the T-bolt attached to the deck chain-plate. I'm always careful not to bend them when raising and lowering. Does anyone know if turnbuckle /shroud covers keep them from bending, or other remedy... and where I can spend less than $38 for turnbuckles that will work for the 1979 Catalina 22 Jaw to Jaw Turnbuckle? I'd love to install quick-release ones, but not if those $80 ones are going to bend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-10-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Bent Catalina 22 Turnbuckle Remedy Anyone?

A picture would help, but my first reaction is that you are missing toggles so you have a bending force on the turnbuckles. The toggles would allow movement and avoid the bending.
Back in the water in Grenada - with new main and #2 and cockpit canvas (Santa came early). Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.
Old 03-10-2012

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough

I'm not sure from your description what is happening, but when I had a C22, I bent a turnbuckle once while raising the mast. If the turnbuckle was lying sideways on the deck, it wouldn't align itself as the mast came up and the stay became taut, and it bent the turnbuckle. To align the turnbuckle before I raised the mast, I tied the mast stay to the lifeline with a thin rubber band. When the stay became taut, it broke the rubber band. I suppose you could alternatively use a light sewing thread to tie it.
knothead likes this.
Old 03-10-2012

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about

You just need make sure that the toggles on the t-bolts don't get caught when you are raising the mast. That can be as simple as having an extra hand to mind them as the mast is going up. Or taping them so that they stay straight and upright.
I usually don't like taping standing rigging, but on a tabernacled mast, sometimes it makes sense.

What's happening is that because the rigging is slack, the t-bolt is falling to the bottom of the toggle and if it gets cocked a little, it gets caught on the chainplate. When the mast gets vertical, it bends the t-bolt.

It's just a matter of keeping everything inline as the mast is raised.

Last edited by knothead; 03-10-2012 at 10:26 PM. Reason: added "and upright"
Old 03-13-2012

Thanks for the advise everyone. What's interesting is that once the mast goes up, I'm able to freely loosen and tighten the turnbuckles -- which would seem to indicate that I did a good job keeping them from getting bent on the way up. But at the end of the season, some are bend. This year it was primarily the two upper shroud turnbuckles that broke when I tried to loosen them to take the mast down -- which would seem to indicate that they got bent as the tuning was done, or after within the season of sailing sometime. I guess you feel that shroud covers would have no effect one way or another, since no one addressed that part of my question. Thanks again. I really appreciate it. I don't use this forum much because I don't know how anyone easily finds their way back to a question or comment they've made. It took me 5 mins to find my Q again. After logging in, Sailnet can tell me when I last visited, but I wish it would allow me to view my posts.
Old 03-14-2012

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot255 View Post
I guess you feel that shroud covers would have no effect one way or another, since no one addressed that part of my question.
Sorry. That was an oversight. As knothead said, what is important is keeping everything inline as the mast is raised. Shroud covers would help, but I have seen them slide up past the turnbuckles, so that they no longer will keep the turnbuckle in line. I think the solution is to check each stay carefully before you start to raise the mast each time, and make sure each stay is aligned, and that it will remain aligned as you raise the mast. You might be able to keep them aligned by tying them to the lifelines, or you might be able to do it with shroud covers. I think either could work, if you exercise care.
Old 03-14-2012

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about

It's the toggle and clevis pin where it attaches to the chainplate that's the bugger. Turnbuckle covers likely won't even alleviate the possibility that the toggle could roll off the top of the chainplate. You need to come up with a way to keep that toggle and t-bolt upright.

Quote:
but I wish it would allow me to view my posts.
Flyingscot, after you log in, you can go to your user CP, (control panel) and view your subscribed threads. Any threads that you've started or posted to will be there.
Old 03-15-2012

Thanks for the advice Sailormon and Knothead. Knothead, I see how I can use CP to find my threads. The only way I see to do this is as follows:

CLICK: Control Panel (CP) then scroll down to: IN BOLD: "There are no subscribed threads to display in this folder for this time period." then in tiny print under that: "View all subscribed threads" I CLICK that to view the threads I've created.

It seems rather obscure but I'm thankful there's a quick way to find threads and possible posts on other threads when I make them. However, I'm a Facebook user and prefer the FB ap and I don't see any way of quickly viewing my threads and posts on FB. So I put a suggestion in the box. This "Post Reply" option also seems weird to me as it reverses the order of replies. It doesn't seem like least recent to most recent should become reversed and possibly reversed again as additional posts are made. "Quick Reply" seems to be more orderly. Thanks again. I'm going to secure those Turnbuckles in place before mast raising.
Old 03-16-2012

Now today, I can easily view this (my) thread on Facebook under the heading "Subscribed Threads." I'm not sure how that works because there are other threads there that I didn't create or comment on. If it's all "subscribed" users, then there should be more threads than what I'm seeing. I'm too busy to delve deeper.
Old 03-16-2012

Correction: "Subscribed Threads" seem to be threads I've created or commented on. Now to find out how to search the "Suggestion Box" for the comment I left last night. I've been through 11 pages today and still cannot find my comment. So I do not yet know how I would ever see any replies to my comment if any were left. All this may seem easy to everyone else, but in the FB format, I'm wouldn't have thought to click on the "Explore" tab to find my "Forum" threads under something called "Subscribed Threads."

Off to West Marine and to prep Cadence (my Catalina 22) for Interlux Interprotect 2000e (as I'm raising the waterline) and a yearly coat of VC17M.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.