Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2012

celenoglu is on a distinguished road
Re: Electrical system install

It is best to get professional help. Boat electrics requires crimped connections, very good isolation against water, proper size wire for each job, etc.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-11-2012

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

benajah

The prices people are suggesting are all over the map so I priced it out with model numbers for you.

DC system - I assume an outboard so only 1 battery bank is required.
I haven't included a charger but a good one could be purchased for $150 to $250

Batteries about $70 each - you want 1 or 2 deep cycle 12 volt marine batteries
Battery boxes for above about $10 each

Fusing Blue Seas 8005 fuse holder $28
" " 5124 80 amp ANL fuse $20

Main Battery switch Blue Seas 6006 $22

Fuse panel " " 4378 $128 (8 circuit panel)

AC system

Marinco 301EL-B shorepower inlet $50
" 50' 30 amp cord 50PCM2 $63
Blue Seas AC panel 8029 $91 (main +1 circuit) If you
want more than one circuit the Paneltronics model #99723138 has
a main switch and 3 circuits for $180
GFI outlet $12 each

Wire (priced at GenuineDealz and they have free shipping)
tinned stranded boat cable
10/3 for shore power inlet to AC panel .70/ft
14/3 for AC panel to circuit .66/ft
14/2 for DC panel to lights, etc .52/ft
6 awg for batteries to DC switch
and then to panel 1.24/ft

In addition you will want lights which don't have to be expensive.

These prices are off the net and are probably not the lowest.

I think if you install everything in logical places it would take a competent person 4 or 5 hours to connect things up properly, using good crimps and heat shrink.

Hope this helps
Old 03-11-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

ben, any competent marine electrician is probably going to charge you $100 an hour and if he works carefully and methodically, you're looking at a grand in labor even if the estimate is only half of that.

So one might ask, do you have any free time, and how dangerous are you with pliers and a screwdriver?

Really, I'd check online, buy one or three of the basic classic books on boat wiring, figure out which way you want it done. And then just order up from the vendors you'll see recommended online as well, save yourself a grand on the labor. PLUS you'll know where every inch of it is, and you won't find any surprises like "Gee, who spliced the compass lights with zip cord and electrical tape all the way under the cockpit?!"

Honest, if you can connect a garden hose without mass destruction, you can wire up a 22'er just as well as the best electrician. You may wind up buying a crimper, some fittings, investing a hundred bucks in tools and heatshrink, but those tools will pay for themselves MANY TIMES OVER in the thirty or forty years that they will last you--and give you the ability to repair or replace anything in the system in the future.

My only other suggestion to you would be to buy as much battery as you can physically lug into the boat, limited by what you can lift/push and your budget. Never heard of someone with too much battery, it only means you can have a smaller discharge cycle and get longer life and lower lifetime costs out of the battery bank.

And if you've only got an outboard...yeah, you'll want another power source. And you'll want to use high-efficiency lighting, like LEDs, because they're expensive but they're cheaper than any wy to recharge the batteries. But that's something else to look into entirely.
Old 03-11-2012

Siamese is on a distinguished road

Notice how people are suggesting you do it yourself, even though you said you prefer not to? Another thing to factor in besides initial high cost of a pro is, if you do yourself, you'll know the system. If it fails you can fix it. If it needs expanding, you can do it.

It's YOUR boat and YOUR electrical system, and YOU get to decide what you really need. What sort of electronics do you anticipate having onboard? Just install a good, expandable system.

One battery? A battery charger if you'll have access to shorepower? Does the outboard generate power? Will you use solar?

We're talking about a simple system on a 22 footer, and the information's out there. Plus plenty of help right here. You could plan your system, diagram it (with wire gauges, etc.), and post here and get good feed back before you do anything.
Old 03-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
ben, any competent marine electrician is probably going to charge you $100 an hour and if he works carefully and methodically, you're looking at a grand in labor even if the estimate is only half of that.

So one might ask, do you have any free time, and how dangerous are you with pliers and a screwdriver?

Really, I'd check online, buy one or three of the basic classic books on boat wiring, figure out which way you want it done. And then just order up from the vendors you'll see recommended online as well, save yourself a grand on the labor. PLUS you'll know where every inch of it is, and you won't find any surprises like "Gee, who spliced the compass lights with zip cord and electrical tape all the way under the cockpit?!"

Honest, if you can connect a garden hose without mass destruction, you can wire up a 22'er just as well as the best electrician. You may wind up buying a crimper, some fittings, investing a hundred bucks in tools and heatshrink, but those tools will pay for themselves MANY TIMES OVER in the thirty or forty years that they will last you--and give you the ability to repair or replace anything in the system in the future.

I think my estimate of 4 - 5 hours is possible IF the shorepower inlet and panels, AC outlet(s) and lights are in place, wires run and labeled with extra at each end, and batteries in place. What takes the most time is pulling wires from a to b, and cutting for panels, outlets, and installing lights etc.

If he wants to entertain doing it himself as suggested it is not difficult. Good crimpers, strippers, and a heat gun for the heat shrink will run about $100 to $125 probably. The best book I have seen is this one
Amazon.com: Boatowner's Illustrated Electrical Handbook (9780071446440): Charlie Wing: Books Amazon.com: Boatowner's Illustrated Electrical Handbook (9780071446440): Charlie Wing: Books

by Charlie Wing for $22 (second edition).
Old 03-11-2012

tpothen is on a distinguished road

Iím in the process of doing the same thing on a 25í boat. Iíve budgeted $1000 for everything but the lights and so far am on track to stay within the budget. You can see the basic layout in my post.

Rewire suggestions

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-11-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

miti, I don't mean that your estimate is off, only that somehow whenever someone has to come out and bid hourly on a job, you know, it's a boat job. time juts flies when you're having fun. And of course, if you ask the guy to just flat bid the job...then stuff gets rushed. Personally I'm always delighted when someone comes in under bid, under time, and nails the job. Heck, if they show up to start on time, I'm halfway to awed. (G)
Old 03-11-2012

CarpeAquam is on a distinguished road

There are economical LED options. Such as
Amazon.com: 5 Meter Reel Warm White 3100k Flexible LED Ribbon 300 Leds 16 Ft by LEDwholesalers, 2026ww-31k: Home Improvement Amazon.com: 5 Meter Reel Warm White 3100k Flexible LED Ribbon 300 Leds 16 Ft by LEDwholesalers, 2026ww-31k: Home Improvement

(Previously posting as LemonHead)
Old 03-11-2012
Plausible Deniability

The LED tape rolls are NOT an economical option for anyone without an unlimited power supply. They all, ALL, use resistors to every LED to drop the voltage and none of them use voltage regulation in any active sense. that means they may be taking 9easily) twice as much power as properly regulated LED lights or fixtures, and that means...right, lots of expensive solar panels or fuel to keep refilling the batteries.

They're cheap--but not economical.
Old 03-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
miti, I don't mean that your estimate is off, only that somehow whenever someone has to come out and bid hourly on a job, you know, it's a boat job. time juts flies when you're having fun. And of course, if you ask the guy to just flat bid the job...then stuff gets rushed. Personally I'm always delighted when someone comes in under bid, under time, and nails the job. Heck, if they show up to start on time, I'm halfway to awed. (G)
I doubt you will find many that will flat bid the job. And if you do the only way he avoids getting bit is to quote high enough that if there are surprises they are accounted for. I work on an hourly basis.

But like I said, the time consuming part does not require electrical skills - pulling wires and installing panels (without wiring) etc.