SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Annapolis used parts store (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/84856-annapolis-used-parts-store.html)

byrsch 03-11-2012 01:52 AM

Annapolis used parts store

I haven't been back to Annapolis for years but there used to be a great used boating parts store there. I bought some parts for an old stove there one time and wonder if it is still there. Anyone know if it is and is it still a great place to browse through?

chef2sail 03-11-2012 04:30 AM

Re: Annapolis used parts store

Bacons

paperbird 03-11-2012 07:39 AM

and it's still a great place to browse through...

dacap06 03-11-2012 09:00 AM

Concur! You can find it at Bacon Sails and Marine Supplies.

chef2sail 03-11-2012 10:44 AM

There is no experience like spending a couple hours in Baconsgetting covered in dust and looking at used equiopment. I have gotten some outragous deals there,

MOst are not shown on line

Dave

PorFin 03-11-2012 11:44 AM

Absolutely concur -- Bacon's is full of deals for those willing to dig through all of the bins.

It helps to have a good idea of what you're looking for, and how to assess whether or not the one you've found is really serviceable. Is is, after all , a consignment shop.

CaptainForce 03-11-2012 12:16 PM

Bacon's is a great example and there are others like it. To expand on the OP's question since it has been well answered. What are some others of these special places?

Annapolis............Bacon & Assoc.
Ft. Lauderdale......Sailorman's
St. Augustine.......Sailors's Exchange
Jacksonville..........Pier 17
Oriental, NC..........Sailor's Consignment

What are some more? Take care and joy, Aythya crew

byrsch 03-11-2012 12:34 PM

Bacons is the place, loved browsing in there for hours. A buddy of mine bought a 37 Endeavour that needed a new main sail and found a used one there that look like brand new. He lucked out that week got a good deal on the boat and found the sail the same day.

Anyone know places like that on the west coast or other regions?

SloopJonB 03-11-2012 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by byrsch (Post 843811)
Bacons is the place, loved browsing in there for hours. A buddy of mine bought a 37 Endeavour that needed a new main sail and found a used one there that look like brand new. He lucked out that week got a good deal on the boat and found the sail the same day.

Anyone know places like that on the west coast or other regions?

They are all over in coastal towns & cities. Check Good Old Boat mags website - they have a big list of such places.

One day I'm going to L.A. just to check out Minneys and that boat junkyard in Long Beach. :cool:

I'm off to Bellingham on Tuesday to check out the used/consignment store there - it's pretty good but their prices are all over the map - you have to be careful there. Popeyes in North Van is pretty thin these days and they are not carrying sails anymore. The Mariners Exchange in Steveston closed recently and I haven't been to the place in Sydney for a couple of years - they used to have LOTS of sails.

flyingjib 04-07-2012 10:54 PM

Not nearly as awesome as Bacons but the back room in Fairwinds Marina is full of used stuff...