Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-16-2003

tjgault is on a distinguished road
Keel coming off?

I have a wonderful Laguna 30'' (like a Catalina) with a fixed keel. Forward of the keel at the joint, we have a crack that runs about 4 inches from side to side and is about 1/16" thick. Should I be worried?

Here''s some other things that I think may be related.

1. While moored last summer, had problems with the bilge flooding, however, since I replaced the batteries (this season), did not have a problem.

2. In the drain in the head, lead shot is coming up. Similar shot is found in the top of the bilge

Is my keep separating? Are these things related?

I look forward to hear if anyone has had similar issues (pictures avail if you would like to see)..

Thanks to come back with comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-16-2003

Irwin32 is on a distinguished road
Keel coming off?

Cracks at the keel/hull joint are not uncommen, but you should clean it out and refair it. What is a little confusing is you say the crack is forward of the keel. Is the joint you refer to the hull/keel joint or something else.

The flooding bilge would concern me. Do you have an auto bilge pump? If so, new batteries may mean that the pump is able to keep up with a leak, and stopping water from collecting in the bilge. I am not sure any other connection new batteries could possibly have to water in the bilge. At any rate, you should determine for sure whether or not you are taking in water. If you are you do need to determine how it is getting in.l

Where does the head sink drain to? If it drains into the bilge, whatever is in the bilge could certainly back up into the drain.

If I were you, I think I would have a surveyor or your boat yard look at the keel. They are bolted on and can come lose. it is unlikely it would just fall off suddenly, but loose bolts could definately cause leaks.

Old 11-17-2003

bert2 is on a distinguished road
Keel coming off?

It sounds like something that should be attended to right away. Pls. refer to the SailNet Homepage, under Favorites, last 5 features---Keel Bolt Repairs---by Don Casey. These articles outline the problem and what can be done to repair it.
Old 12-13-2003

capttb is on a distinguished road
Keel coming off?

I agree with previous replys I really think you should haul out right away and get surveyor or good boatyard to examine. Everything you say indicates the possibility of a loose & leaking keel to me.Hate to be the one to say it but the lead shot coming from drain is a cause for concern I think.
Old 12-16-2003

mcain is on a distinguished road
Keel coming off?

The lead shot is potentially a concern. There have been documented cases of manufacturers filling a keel with lead shot for ballast. Some boats have grounded, put a hole in the keel, and watched the ballast "flow" out of the hold to the bottom of the sea, leaving just a hole in the keel.
Get it checked by competant surveyor asap.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.