SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   WM Auto/Manual PFD $140 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/84953-wm-auto-manual-pfd-%24140.html)

CarbonSink62 03-13-2012 06:23 PM

WM Auto/Manual PFD $140

Can anyone say if this is a good vest?

WEST MARINE Pfd at West Marine

It's on sale for $140 (down from $200) and shipping is only 10 bucks.

If the link is bad, it's WM 9412677.

It seems to fit my needs and the price is great.

I know they'll take it back if I hate it, so it seems worth buying even if I can't look at it first.

Can anyone talk me down?

jameswilson29 03-13-2012 06:30 PM

Re: WM Auto/Manual PFD $140

Yes, I will talk you down.

I bought 2 auto/manual inflate vests at BassPro Shops for $80 each. Apparently, bass fisherman are either more frugal or more intelligent than other boaters.

jsaronson 03-13-2012 10:41 PM

WM Auto/Manual PFD $140

Defender has vests with harnesses for 99.

Squidd 03-13-2012 11:09 PM

I got 3 off e-bay (new) for $50 ea and one for $28 (also new) that was missing an $18 recharge kit

Two West Marine and two Onyx

And an Onyx belt type for $35

CarbonSink62 03-14-2012 10:50 AM

Thanks guys!

I just bought the Revere ComfortMax Plus Inflatable PFD With Harness from Defender for $99;

Shipping was only $10.

Another site wanted $239 for the same vest and $45 for 'hazardous' shipping.

I was at WM because I have some gift cards from them; I'll save the cards for something else.

capttb 03-14-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

I was at WM because I have some gift cards from them; I'll save the cards for something else.
And then go in armed with printouts of the items from Defender and tell them you want to discuss their price matching policy on a couple things.;)

Letrappes 03-14-2012 04:57 PM

I bought two of the reveres from defender a few weeks back on the $99 sale. They are absolutely great and I probably should buy two more. Don't buy the fishing ones from bass pro shop. They aren't built for sailing as there is no harness which you'll want if you ever go offshore or sail alone. That's the extra you pay for. Plus you look like an idiot on a sailboat wearing a camo pfd...

jameswilson29 03-14-2012 05:06 PM

The BassPro ones are red or blue, in addition to camo.

If you have a harness on, you do not need a PFD.

I like the option of choosing whether to wear either an inflatable PFD or a harness, or both. There have been incidents where a sailor regretted having an inflatable harness on - I believe there was one recently where someone was prevented from swimming down to detach someone else who was rendered unconscious from a sinking boat.

As far as the differences between inflatable PFDs, I have news for you. The retailer's name appears on a synthetic cover attached by velcro to the underlying inflatable ring and inflation device, so the underlying inflatable device sold by Defender may be the same one sold by West Marine, which may be the same one sold by BassPro.

The cover is different, the inflatable tube and device are the same. Of course, there are different versions of the device which triggers inflation and some may require differing degrees of immersion to trigger.

CarbonSink62 03-16-2012 03:38 PM

I ordered it Wednesday morning and it arrived Thursday afternoon.

Defender is my new 'go to' company.

Looks good; feels good;

I hope to never report how well it works.