Air conditioning on a small sailboat - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 Old 03-15-2012
Daysailor wannabe cruiser

Re: Air conditioning on a small sailboat

Hey do this and save yourself a lot of hassel. Pick out a 1/2" peice of plywood and cutout a rectangle for a cheap a/c unit. I used a couple of right angle brackets to make it snug and sealed it up with Foam in a can.

All of this can be bought at a hardware store including the AC for around $130.

Mine is a 5k BTU model and keeps my CAL 27 cabin cool on Tampa Bay in the summer. It also really does a good job of keeping the interior dry.

When it's time for sailing just stick in the v berth or leave it in the dockbox.

I also rigged up a drain tube that allows it to drip into the scupper. This setup is very common on the docks around here. Especially on the smaller and cheaper boats.
Attached Thumbnails
ac unit.jpg  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 Old 03-16-2012 Thread Starter

Thanks, lans0012 -

I've done this before but, on a Nonsuch my head will be just a few feet away from the A/C so i'm looking at mounting something on to/in to the bulkhead.

Cheers Essemm65
post #13 of 21 Old 03-16-2012
AEOLUS II

ians0012,

That is so awesomely simple it can not possibly work!!
post #14 of 21 Old 03-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by lans0012 View Post
Hey do this and save yourself a lot of hassel. Pick out a 1/2" peice of plywood and cutout a rectangle for a cheap a/c unit. I used a couple of right angle brackets to make it snug and sealed it up with Foam in a can.

All of this can be bought at a hardware store including the AC for around $130.

Mine is a 5k BTU model and keeps my CAL 27 cabin cool on Tampa Bay in the summer. It also really does a good job of keeping the interior dry.

When it's time for sailing just stick in the v berth or leave it in the dockbox.

I also rigged up a drain tube that allows it to drip into the scupper. This setup is very common on the docks around here. Especially on the smaller and cheaper boats.
That is what we did on our old O'day 322. We referred to it as the Redneck Yacht Club AC system.

The vented type could definitely do the job and if you can find a place for it would be far less hassle. We tried on on our O'day but couldn't find a place for it that didn't require more compromise than we could accept.

PalmettoSailor
s/v Palmetto Moon
1991 Catalina 36
post #15 of 21 Old 03-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essemm65 View Post
Thanks, lans0012 -

I've done this before but, on a Nonsuch my head will be just a few feet away from the A/C so i'm looking at mounting something on to/in to the bulkhead.

Cheers Essemm65
Well, that's one way to drastically reduce the price of a Nonsuch...for the next buyer.
It would have to be a damn narrow unit to mount in the bulkhead- there isn't much room.

If the challenge is the humidity, i'd suggest a small dehumidifier that you can set up anywhere, with a fan blowing over it.

It's 5 o'clock somewhere:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 21 Old 03-16-2012

Get a new girlfriend.
T37Chef likes this.

[/B]S/V Wind Orchid
Catalina 350 (hull# 273)
Annapolis, MD

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT REMOVING POLITCAL TAG LINES -- NOW!
post #17 of 21 Old 03-18-2012

now that must be the cheapest and simplest approach, one who likes it HOT!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 21 Old 03-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
lol, in the hvac biz..AC is 18-20 degrees inside temp lower then the outside temp.
It's the low humidity that makes it comfortable. If a unit can bring you down to 70 on a 100 degree day it's over sized, but some people like that.
I'm no AC guy, but I think you are wrong on this. A Typical AC unit will bring the temp down about 15-20 degrees. Thats the return air temperature, not the outside air temp. if the boat's interior temp is 100, then the AC will only output 80-85 degree air. As the boat slowly cools down to 80, then it's outputting 60-65 degree air. Of course, depending on conditions, it can only go down but so far.
On my boat, at night, even with outside temp at 80, I could easily get my interior temp down to 50, or probably, mid 40's

Catalina 34
post #19 of 21 Old 03-20-2012

For our Coronado 25, we just bought a $300 6000 BTU portable unit. When in use it can sit on the counter in the galley. The exhaust hose will go out a companionway door I am crafting with an exhaust hole cut in it, and the drain will drip drip drip right into the sink and out to sea.

It will fit comfortably in the deck box when not in use, and if we want to take it to sea it will fit in a storage compartment in the cockpit very easily.

$300, done. 6000 btu in that boat should have icicles forming on our noses.

My initial idea was to get one of those RV rooftop units, but they don't look like they can be easily put on and off as needed. I love the hatch a/c at WM, but I don't have $1500 to spend!

Nelson Abreu
Serenity Now
Coronado 25
Insanity Later
Walker Bay Dingy

post #20 of 21 Old 03-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyquest37 View Post
Get a new girlfriend.
crude but

Cheers,
Shawn

S/V Windgeist
1982 Tartan 37C

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.