SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Air conditioning on a small sailboat (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/84970-air-conditioning-small-sailboat.html)

Essemm65 03-14-2012 09:53 AM

Air conditioning on a small sailboat

Hello All -

My girlfriend is asthmatic and it gets awfully muggy here in Toronto. I'm getting either a Nonsuch 22 or another vessel in the 25' - 27' range and want to instal a proper A/C unit that runs off dockside 110 volts (not DC off battery) BUT...
ideally don't want it seawater cooled (cuz I HATE making holes in the hull - the less the better). I've owned a Cruisair drop-in-the-hatch (heavy, noisy, crafty, ugly but BOY will it freeze you out !!) and don't want that again.

Any thoughts ?? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Lake Superior Sailor 03-14-2012 10:42 AM

Re: Air conditioning on a small sailboat

Do you really need the cooling or could you just filter the air?..Dale

Essemm65 03-14-2012 10:45 AM

Thanks, Dale.

I DO need the cooling - (but not the FREEZING).

Cheers

Lake Superior Sailor 03-14-2012 10:49 AM

Keep air conditioner on dock & pipe it in? ...Dale

deniseO30 03-14-2012 10:51 AM

All proper Marine units use sea water for cooling. A free standing portable unit that uses a vent tube would be a good choice.
"portable ac units" - Walmart.com

WouldaShoulda 03-14-2012 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sidney777 (Post 845524)
I have seen the "portable" AC used. @6000 to 12,000 btu sizes.... It is the newer type of ac for offices, homes, etc.... The AC unit sits inside and it has @5 inch flexable hose (kinda like a clothes dryer hose) out of the back. This hose exhausts the hot air. Theses ac units are more expensive than window units.

The Walmart examples linked above appear more expensive and heavier.

I like the idea of it not sitting in the companionway like a wall unit however.

badsanta 03-14-2012 10:49 PM

I tried one with the hose inside the cabin it did not work for me still to hot. as for freezing the thermostat must not have worked. you set it to the temperature you like and it controls it and keeps the temp constant.

deniseO30 03-14-2012 11:09 PM

lol, in the hvac biz..AC is 18-20 degrees inside temp lower then the outside temp.
It's the low humidity that makes it comfortable. If a unit can bring you down to 70 on a 100 degree day it's over sized, but some people like that.

Essemm65 03-15-2012 08:14 AM

Hi Denise -

OK... you KNOW yer onions about A/C. I'm talking about the small interior of a Nonsuch 22 and I am liking the idea of some reasonable bulkhead mounting of a 5000 BTU 'portable' unit as close to the cabin top as I can with a single exhaust hose being vented 'outside' somehow. At around 6' of headroom, the cabin space must be around 7' of beam by 10' in length i.e. roughly 70 sq. ft or 420 cubic ft.

I would imagine that this would do the trick - what say you (and thanks, BTW)

WouldaShoulda 03-15-2012 08:46 AM

One way or another, I want to be camping dockside mush more often this summer!!