Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Bottompaint.us : A scam? Or just inept?

Home - Bottompaint.us came up while I was web searching for the pricey blue stuff. Their home page looks just dandy, says they're top rated by practical sailor...except, their links to the PS ratings article don't go there.

And they offer a great 5-year warranty, if you're still alive and see critters within five years, they'll ship you more paint. Well. Except the link to the warranty details page (teehee) goes to another blank page with some latin boilerplate (lorum ipsum stuff) instead of warranty details.

So I'm thinking...Are these guys just totally inept at communications? or is this a scam, with no PS ratings behind it either?

Anyone seem the last PS ratings on blue gold? Are they in it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-15-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Generally anytime you see the Latin pages it is a scam to get credit card numbers and I'd theft.
Old 03-15-2012

CrazyRu is on a distinguished road
Weird. They use same physical address as ipaint.us.
I have "blue water ablative" on my boat's bottom, I used their two part polyurethane topside pant on a project boat and I toured the factory (actually , I did delivery there). "Blue water" paints from ipaint are good.

It could be same paint, different distributor.
Old 03-15-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Bottompaint.us : A scam? Or just inept?

So they are also using a physical address that isn't quite theirs and a product that may be made for them, rather than "by" them. Maybe ipaint is just trying to, ah, build a boat-specific brand among their many lines of coatings.

But some of the web pages at ipaint are also exactly the same, and make the same claim, to see the links on the FAQ page for the "crushing" results of the PS tests. Which of course, aren't linked to at all.

In this day and age, is it really too much to hire some junior high school kid to work on one's web site after band practice?

Nah, life's too short. I smell fish oil. (Oh wait, that's normal in paint, isn't it?)
Old 03-15-2012

misfits is on a distinguished road

PS's latest issue had the results of 36 months? of bottom paint testing & I could be wrong but I do not remember seeing these guys on the list.
Old 03-15-2012

Here are 14 month results:
Based on the performance of our 14-month panels, sailors looking for one to two years of protection against hard growth don’t need to pay a fortune. In the hard paints, Pettit’s Unepoxy and Blue Water Copper Shield 45 were Budget Buys. Pettit’s Unepoxy Plus and Copper Guard offer good value in the hard paint category. Blue Water’s Copper Shield 45 Hard is also a reliable low-budget contender. In the ablative category, there was a tie after 14 months, with Blue Water’s Copper Shield 45 Ablative ($135) and Interlux’s Bottomkote ACT ($140) offering the best value. Pettit Horizons and Sea Hawk AF-33 are also solid choices for the small-budget sailor.
Old 03-15-2012
Plausible Deniability

I suppose if TBT is out, tin foil sheeting would still be legal? (sigh)

Only thing I'm sure of, is that Interlux says Micron66 is for SALT water, not brackish, not fresh. Ru, were you quoting PS? Did they say what kind of water mix they were in?

I stopped using hard paint when I ran out of JATO bottles and had to radically reduce hull speed. (G)

[later]
Found the free tease extract from PS online:
" The best ablative paints at six months included Copper Shield SCX 45 by Blue Water, EP-21 by Epaint, and Hydrocoat and Vivid Free by Pettit. The top long-term bottom paints—those appropriate for multi-season antifouling protection—included Interlux Micron 66, Pettit Trinidad SR, and Interlux Epoxycop."
IOW, Blue Water had a product that worked great, for one season. Ah, it gets deeper...

Last edited by hellosailor; 03-15-2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old 03-15-2012

Yes, i was quoting PS. They do the tests at the Sarasota Sailing Squadron in Sarasota, Fla. I spent a wonderful stormy day there in 2001, the place is just off the inlet, so the water is saltwater.

And I did direct quote for 14 mo results from PS site. they place BW paint there again I guess all paints are more or less the same. I'm on 23 month with BW, see some hard growth, but it is easy to clean up yet.

But again, I dumped a pound of cajun pepper into mix. Local fisherman swear it works.

Last edited by CrazyRu; 03-15-2012 at 07:18 PM.
Old 03-15-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Does anyone know why PS does not test the following, company states good for 10 years?

multiseason antifouling 10 years protection hard wearing copper filled epoxy resin copper antifoul
Old 03-15-2012
Plausible Deniability

Ru, not having been there to drink the water, I can only see that it is inside the bay, so may be "brackish" rather than full salt water. I suppose there's some specific amount of dissolved salt/solids that defines that, damfino. Maybe if you take exactly one liter of it and weigh it? (G)

WRT hot pepper cayenne isn't considered hot these days, if you like hot try Buy Hot Sauces, BBQ Sauce & Chile Seasonings - Mild to Wild® Pepper & Herb Co. those folks have got flavor, not just heat, but they make cayenne seem like vanilla ice cream. Might blister the gel coat. (G)

I'm kinda mystified by it all. Seen copper epoxy work marvelously one year, fail totally the next year. I'd have mor respect for card-carrying environmentalists if they said "We're going to ban TBT, but in order to prove we can accept the consequences of that, we're also going to scrub your hull every two weeks, no charge."

It's the half-assed pseudomentalists, ergh, pseudoenviromentalists that I can't stand. Give me a better way to do things--not a halfassed one. Who says barnacles and clams don't really enjoyed getting stoned off tbt and dying happy, as opposed to being raked, shucked, and eaten?!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.