Another "Next Generation" anchor enters the market... - Page 13 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: Another "Next Generation" anchor enters the market...

If one really wants the test part of the bolts, if you can find out the manufacture of the bolts, when they were produced, ie via a batch number, a few have to be tested to show they meet the Grade spec. "IF" you know the above, you can get the actual test results that show they meet the spec. You can do the same for wire rigging, chain among other items.

As for Med's review, very good, I wish Sucia was a bit closer to me frankly! This anchor is showing promise as an alternate BIG anchor to an aluminum Fortress, or as a second big anchor stored below, to use the appropriate style in the appropriate soil condition that these two styles work best in.

Marty
Old 09-24-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Originally Posted by NCC320

Quote:
Just an opinion......You are not treating Mantus very well. Do you have an agenda adverse to Mantus?-NCC320
I have no agenda, If ou read more carefully I intend to purchase the anchor myself. I am enamoured and supportive of the idea that they have modified/ improved the new generation ide to have made it easier to carry. Stop reading into things. Challanging their claims does not mean I have an agenda.

Quote:
You have implied, not proven, that they have done or are doing underhanded things in promoting their anchor.NCC320
There is question about viloating the terms of posting on Sailnet. You were part of the thread where that happened. They had one of their enginieers/ designers join, post a thread like she was your average "joe sailor" like us without disclosing their relationship to Mantus. You are incorrect is was discovered my Mantus. It was discovered and pinted out by a fellow sailnetter It appeared to some to be deceptive. By the way you used the term misconduct..I never did. I really dont want to rehash this as it has been addressed.

spare anchor

Quote:
You not only put them down, but you imply that somehow their anchor is inferior to your Rocna and to Manson. Prove it. Back it up with your own test data.-NCC320
Here is what I posted. How does that say they are inferior? I am clearly saying I expect it to be the equal of the other new generation anchors. Nothing more or less. Lets face reality here. the basically all look the same. They dont look like a fortress/ danforth, they dont look like a delta, they dont look like a fisherman, they dont look like a bruce and they dont look like a CQR. ( well kind of minus the swivel and roll bar). I am not making the claimms they hold better, in fact I am saying I would expect them to hold the same.

Quote:
I am glad to see that the holding power equals what I would see with a Rocna or Manson Supreme which it obvious mimics and is basically a knockoff/ copy of their new generation designs. Expectations would be that it would have similar results in independent tests using controlled conditions like Practical Sailor does.Chef2sail ( my post)
Quote:
You say you want to buy one as a back-up/secondary anchor as I did. If so, go ahead and buy it and stop bashing it.-NCC320
I have already done this, so let me asky you a question. When I get it and use it and come to the same conclusions...will you still incorrectly say I am bashing it, which I am not

Quote:
You fuss about not having an independent test, but if you were to test the bolts and their failure point, just how would you do it? Scientifically. Let's see your test. NCC320
It is not up o me to do a scientific test. They are making the claims. Medsailor whos posts I respect is reporting now. Mainsail who actually has done some really great testing on many types of epuipment including a really fascinating superior test on anchors ( his test actually got me to buy a Rocna or Manson Supreme). Practical sailor has done tests of these and expect they will do the Mantus.

Quote:
Why am I posting this....well I just hate to see the new guy get unfairly beat up. It's the new guys that bring us new inovations, or maybe just refinements over the existing technology, but either way it's good. We need to support them, not try beat them back, unless somehow they are a threat to us in some way. Give the guy a break.-NCC320
It is to be expected that someone who makes claims will receive scrutiny. This is a fact of life and not such a bad thing. I am not trying in any way to beat them back or I would have spent my hard earned money on it. We do not need to support them. We need to make sure their claims are valid, their posts reflect their affiliations, and their tests are valid..just like people have done with Rocna. Open your eyes. They didnt develop this for the good of all sailors and give it to us at cost ( most of us), they developed a product to make money which is fine also.

Maybe I am not as blindly trusting as you. You have said yourself previously that you have very little experience in anchoring. Go forth with your new anchor and gain the experience. I am sure you will rest easier on a new generation anchor as I did knowing its easier to set, and that it will reset more quickly.

Lastly remember no anchor is the " queeens bees" in all bottom conditions. So it you venture out of the Sound where you boat, or find yourself on a grass boittom creek with a layer of leaves you may want to consoider using a Fortress or Danforth. These are the bottoms where I have found so far that the new generation anchors did not set as easily and lot the first time you drop them like they do in other bottom conditions.

Stop taking my posts an over analyzing them about me and read what I really am truly saying.

Dave
Marcel D likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 09-24-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-24-2012

Maine...good post

Actually after reading about vleats being ripped out in some of the noreeasters two years ago before thier rodes parted made me examine Haleakulas cleats. I dont even want to post what what I found, but needless to say when I saw the way our 35C&C MKIII was done ( an its a fairly well made boat) my first exclaimation was ( SH**).

Since the acess was easy through our more than generous anchor locker within two weeks I had replaced them, reglassed the area and have huge backing plates under them as well as the chocks. I used 3/4 inch bolts also,

You points are well take on the bolt strengths and pins for the CQR as well as the shackles. Most of us wont experience the stresses your boat does on the mooring all the time in the weather you experience.

Thanks for you post again.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 09-24-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
So far our Mantus has performed as expected and sets slightly faster than our Rocna or Manson. Course we are talking inches in difference but still when it hits the bottom it digs in instantaneously. Holding power is probably apples to apples and I did load test the Rocna against the Mantus and could not budge either with a 29' sport fishing boat. It was tough to get them out however.....

As for mud all three bring up fairly equal amounts of bottom....
Maine, Correct me if I'm wrong but from this I gather you have found, so far, that the Mantus is a very effective anchor, about equal to the Mansocnas in performance, but has the added advantage of being easily broken down for flat stowage.

Correct? Anything else to add?

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 09-24-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Maine, Correct me if I'm wrong but from this I gather you have found, so far, that the Mantus is a very effective anchor, about equal to the Mansocnas in performance, but has the added advantage of being easily broken down for flat stowage.

Correct? Anything else to add?

So far, so good. I even took it out with my brothers sport fishing boat and put it through the paces with twin screws and 450 HP !!!!! I was afraid to rip a cleat out of his boat so backed off a little. I pulled these things till the frothy water behind the twin screws looked like Niagara Falls.

I plan on using this as my primary through late November to get a real sense for it. I don't like to be premature in my findings. I will then go back to my Rocna as my primary because it fits better in the anchor locker and on the roller and the Mantus will be a reserve anchor with my Fortress.
chef2sail likes this.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 09-24-2012

NCC320 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post

I have already done this (buy a Mantus), so let me asky you a question. When I get it and use it and come to the same conclusions...will you still incorrectly say I am bashing it, which I am not

- I think you'll be happy with the anchor as a secondary/storm anchor to be stored below. What size did you get?

- Now that you own one, I think it will be entirely appropriate to report your findings, good or bad. That helps other sailors in making their decisions.

You have said yourself previously that you have very little experience in anchoring.

- Actually, I think that I said that I don't anchor out often. But I've been messing with sail and power boats for 42 years, so I've anchored quite a bit over time....I just don't do it frequently. I've used a Danforth for most of that. And a Bruce less often. (Even have a little experience with anchoring a ship from Navy days).

Lastly remember no anchor is the " queeens bees" in all bottom conditions. So it you venture out of the Sound where you boat, or find yourself on a grass boittom creek with a layer of leaves you may want to consoider using a Fortress or Danforth. These are the bottoms where I have found so far that the new generation anchors did not set as easily and lot the first time you drop them like they do in other bottom conditions.

- Thanks for the heads up. I carry a 33 lb. Bruce, 22 lb. Danforth, and now 35 lb. Mantus as storm anchor (disassembled/stored in cockpit locker).
I'll look forward to learning of your experience with this anchor.
Old 09-24-2012

When I get it I will use as my primary for a while to test it for me. I am primarily buying it as mentioned to have a new gen type anchor in reserve and it is attractive in that it can be broken down and stored in a smaller footpruint. Like Mainesail ,y intention is that I will go back to using my Rocna as my frimary with a fortress and the Mantus as reserves.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 09-24-2012

UncleJim is on a distinguished road

Mine 35# Mantus arrived today, and the box wasn't even torn up. I'll wait until the weekend to open it up as I won't have a chance to get it out to the boat until Sun at the earliest
Old 09-24-2012

Mantus Anchors is on a distinguished road

Guys thanks for your feed back, discussion good or bad!
Just wanted to let you, we are now in the SAILNET store... I am sure good things are coming for the SAILNETTERS!
Attached Thumbnails
Another "Next Generation" anchor enters the market...-dsc_0065.jpg  
copacabana likes this.
Old 09-27-2012

Marcel D is on a distinguished road

I have one question when you guys are testing an anchor, does one ever get to use 1 to 10 scope? It seams all of the Mantus tests were using this method. Am I wrong I never get to use that kind of scope not even in clam bay. It is more like 4 to 1 and 5 to 1 and even then I seam to close to other boats.

Last edited by Marcel D; 09-27-2012 at 12:11 AM.