Another "Next Generation" anchor enters the market... - Page 14 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree71Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Another "Next Generation" anchor enters the market...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel D View Post
I have one question when you guys are testing an anchor, does one ever get to use 1 to 10 scope? It seams all of the Mantus tests were using this method. Am I wrong I never get to use that kind of scope not even in clam bay. It is more like 4 to 1 and 5 to 1 and even then I seam to close to other boats.
I think I've only had 10:1 out once. I was in, what my guidebook told me, was the busiest anchorage in all of Desolation Sound. I had it all to myself, and had been, for the last 4 months, anchoring on much less scope than I had wanted to on most nights. I dropped my 10:1 that night just for the heck of it and would wake up on the other side of the bay, still attached to my hook. (Fortress FX-16 on a different boat)

As to your question, I think that some of the videos used a 10:1 scope but both Maine_Sail and I have been using ours on VERY short scopes just to see what would happen. Just the other night I set my and backed down on it at just over 2:1 and spend the night with 15 gusting 30kt winds at just over 4:1.

Here is my write up of that trip: Another "Next Generation" anchor enters the market...

Here is Maine_Sail's short scope test:Another "Next Generation" anchor enters the market...

I haven't tried the Mantus on 10:1 yet myself. I figure if it'll hold on short scope, it'll hold on long scope too.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-28-2012

Mantus Anchors is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel D View Post
I have one question when you guys are testing an anchor, does one ever get to use 1 to 10 scope? It seams all of the Mantus tests were using this method. Am I wrong I never get to use that kind of scope not even in clam bay. It is more like 4 to 1 and 5 to 1 and even then I seam to close to other boats.
Marcel its a very good question, the reason we use 10:1 is simply because that's what we usually use around here due to poor holding. Now all anchors were tested in equal environment, we are about post some more test videos and will include shorter scope pulls. What we try to show in the videos is that Mantus has a fast and reliable set. In the
the bottom is so thick and viscouse that the Rocna and Manson Supreme don't set. So most people set out 10:1 to give it the best chance to bite.
Greg
Old 10-02-2012

Hey S Netters! Just popping in to say... Mantus Hooks are finally here!
Greg
Old 10-19-2012

Guys! SAILNET store is offering a new promo deal on Mantus Anchors.
Greg
Old 10-19-2012
Huck

smallboatlover is on a distinguished road

i dont agree with that video at all. with those other anchors you should have chain thats what help set those anchors. just cause your doesn't require chain doesn't mean that the others dont need the chain. i think you guys should do a video testing with chain. Also maybe even do a power boat anchored and set the anchor and see if the powerboat can pull the anchor out. then id be sold on the anchor. even tho i might get the 2lbs mantus for my small sailboat.
Old 10-19-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallboatlover View Post
i dont agree with that video at all. with those other anchors you should have chain thats what help set those anchors. just cause your doesn't require chain doesn't mean that the others dont need the chain. i think you guys should do a video testing with chain. Also maybe even do a power boat anchored and set the anchor and see if the powerboat can pull the anchor out. then id be sold on the anchor. even tho i might get the 2lbs mantus for my small sailboat.
Read the whole thread - that was done.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 10-20-2012
Huck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Read the whole thread - that was done.
o sorry didn't see it will look for it.
Old 10-20-2012
Huck

Im still not really convinced. you could stick with the old and faithfull that you know workes or go for some thing else that shows to work but you can't trust cause it's new. has mantus bin tested in hurricane force winds? ive seen other people use danforths the right 1 size over recomended size for huricannes and they didn't move a inch. I'm just not sold on this new type of anchor i have a plow and danforth and never had one pull even in 40mph winds. i just don't see the up side to this mantus anchor yet. I don't see what so diffrent from other anchor then fast setting.
Old 10-20-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Im still not really convinced. you could stick with the old and faithfull that you know workes or go for some thing else that shows to work but you can't trust cause it's new. has mantus bin tested in hurricane force winds? ive seen other people use danforths the right 1 size over recomended size for huricannes and they didn't move a inch. I'm just not sold on this new type of anchor i have a plow and danforth and never had one pull even in 40mph winds. i just don't see the up side to this mantus anchor yet. I don't see what so diffrent from other anchor then fast setting.
The new Mantsocnas are more than just different. I have some experience with a hefty Rocna (not in hurricanes. ) and it is a definite improvement over older anchors - sets instantly, every time so far, never drags, resets instantly when veered out from swinging etc, never fouls, stores well on the bow roller. The roll bar makes a great grab handle if it needs to be adjusted in the roller to set a locking pin. Only downside I've seen is that it brings up 1/2 the bottom when hooked in mud.

I haven't used the Mantus but I'm sure it's the same, with the added advantage of breaking down to be stored flat.

Try one, you'll like it.
Mantus Anchors likes this.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 10-20-2012

Quote:
Huck the main reason we developed the Mantus, was in harder and or grassy bottoms traditional anchors often don't set or require extreme effort to set...

If in your neighbourhood your anchor sets all the time than there is no reason to switch. But bottoms vary and If you talk to cruisers that change ports frequently and never know what bottom they will encounter, an anchor that sets right away is paramount! In an emergency if you lose an engine and rocks are nearby than your anchor is the single line defence and needs to set immediately. So we optimized the Mantus for a quick and reliable set. This is what I am trying to relay in the video. You can use it with chain or no chain the point is, it will SET.
Oh and if you want to store an extra one you can because it breaks down....
Greg

Last edited by Mantus Anchors; 10-20-2012 at 02:16 PM.