Another "Next Generation" anchor enters the market... - Page 16 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree71Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2012

Mantus Anchors is on a distinguished road
Re: Another "Next Generation" anchor enters the market...

Guys, just wanted to share with you that we were honoured by the Chuck Husick Marine Technology Award! by Ocean Navigator.... For contributions to advances in marine technology...
After the review of the Mantus Anchor...!
Greg
Attached Thumbnails
Another "Next Generation" anchor enters the market...-imag0213.jpg  
bwindrope and MedSailor like this.

Last edited by Mantus Anchors; 10-29-2012 at 08:38 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-01-2012

This is an excerpt from the Blog of a cruiser who rode out SANDY while anchored on the Mantus Anchor

"The primary anchor, the Mantus, did very well. It didn't budge much at all, just enough for it to dig in so deep that the very top of the rollbar was 6 inches below the surface, which I believe was only about 2 feet of drag. The in tandum anchor chain still had its 10+ feet of slack so that means the Mantus never dragged. It did rotate when the winds rotated as it was pointing 120 degrees different direction from how it was set. All in all, it passed a very tough test. 70 knots gusting to 80 knots and it didn't drag but 2 feet....awesome! I just might have to see if I can get Captain to make this my primary anchor instead of the Bulwagga. I'm pretty sure the Bulwagga would have dragged a bit more under those conditions." For the full write up you could visit the blog Dreamboat and it's crazy Captain: Riding out Hurricane Sandy
Old 11-01-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantus Anchors View Post
This is an excerpt from the Blog of a cruiser who rode out SANDY while anchored on the Mantus Anchor

Dreamboat and it's crazy Captain: Riding out Hurricane Sandy
That looks like high praise indeed. I'd like to know what the boat was as well as the size of the anchor used.

Edit: found the boat - Hunter 376 - at the beginning of the blog but nothing about the anchor size, only the chain & rode.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Last edited by SloopJonB; 11-01-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-01-2012

We sold Franklin a 45 lb Mantus
Old 11-01-2012

FranklinGray is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
That looks like high praise indeed. I'd like to know what the boat was as well as the size of the anchor used.

Edit: found the boat - Hunter 376 - at the beginning of the blog but nothing about the anchor size, only the chain & rode.
Hello fellows. Heard there was a question about my anchor over here. My first time on this site...seems like a pretty good site. Hard to keep up with which site is the not trend these days. Some may know me from my days on SailboatOwners site but it got old so I stopped posting...although I did learn a lot from that site and I thank all who have helped me.

Anyway, to the question of size, it's the 45 lb anchor. I remember when I was getting it before leaving Kemah and I thought I was getting the next size up as most anchor companies don't give a proper size...they say up to 30 knots. Well, most boats that really use an anchor are going to get more than 30 knots. Anyway, because of that I normally get the next size up and thought I was with the Mantus, but it turns out, according to their website, it's the "right" size for my boat, a Hunter 376 (37') with a displacement of 8 tons but maybe close to 8.5 or 9 with all my stuff on it. The anchor though is the same size as my Bulwagga and I remember that being a one size up. I do love my Bulwagga but I do believe the Mantus holds better and so far it's been perfect in it's setting ability.

I have to admit, I was really impressed by it this past weekend. I kept checking the compass headings during the storm and was amazed it wasn't changing. I knew I had the Bulwagga in tandum if it started to drag and with the two there should be no way I would have a problem, but for the Mantus to handle the worst part of the storm all by itself, all I can say is wow.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me by email. Those who know me, know I am very open and honest about everything, even making fun of my mistakes...and I do make a lot of mistakes

Well, I'm off to getting the boat ready for sailing again. Heading to the Cays one last week before I head to Nassau and then George Town (it's getting a little cold here).
MedSailor likes this.
Old 11-01-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

That settles it - high praise indeed.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 11-30-2012

Sailnetters! Mantus Anchors will now offer sponsorships for: simply put "boys and girls doing cool stuff"
So if you are embarking on an adventure you can apply for Mantus Sponsorship. Just submit your story to gregkutsen@mantusanchors.com for review. We are in the process of formalizing this process so stay tuned for the link on the website.
Old 12-03-2012

Mantus Sponsorship link is now live on the website, just click "sponsorship" tab on the left and fill out the application.
Old 12-29-2012

Netters check this out! www.mantusanchors.comhttp://mantusanchors.com

Last edited by Mantus Anchors; 12-29-2012 at 12:46 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-25-2013

Netters, meet us at Miami International Boat Show!
Booth 4022
We will be raffling off 2000$ worth of Mantus Products and offering big discounts....

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.