Another "Next Generation" anchor enters the market... - Page 16 - SailNet Community
 71Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #151 of 291 Old 11-01-2012
Vendor

Re: Another "Next Generation" anchor enters the market...

This is an excerpt from the Blog of a cruiser who rode out SANDY while anchored on the Mantus Anchor

"The primary anchor, the Mantus, did very well. It didn't budge much at all, just enough for it to dig in so deep that the very top of the rollbar was 6 inches below the surface, which I believe was only about 2 feet of drag. The in tandum anchor chain still had its 10+ feet of slack so that means the Mantus never dragged. It did rotate when the winds rotated as it was pointing 120 degrees different direction from how it was set. All in all, it passed a very tough test. 70 knots gusting to 80 knots and it didn't drag but 2 feet....awesome! I just might have to see if I can get Captain to make this my primary anchor instead of the Bulwagga. I'm pretty sure the Bulwagga would have dragged a bit more under those conditions." For the full write up you could visit the blog Dreamboat and it's crazy Captain: Riding out Hurricane Sandy

Anchor Purveyor
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 291 Old 11-01-2012
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantus Anchors View Post
This is an excerpt from the Blog of a cruiser who rode out SANDY while anchored on the Mantus Anchor

Dreamboat and it's crazy Captain: Riding out Hurricane Sandy
That looks like high praise indeed. I'd like to know what the boat was as well as the size of the anchor used.

Edit: found the boat - Hunter 376 - at the beginning of the blog but nothing about the anchor size, only the chain & rode.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Last edited by SloopJonB; 11-01-2012 at 02:13 PM.
post #153 of 291 Old 11-01-2012
Vendor

We sold Franklin a 45 lb Mantus

Anchor Purveyor
post #154 of 291 Old 11-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
That looks like high praise indeed. I'd like to know what the boat was as well as the size of the anchor used.

Edit: found the boat - Hunter 376 - at the beginning of the blog but nothing about the anchor size, only the chain & rode.
Hello fellows. Heard there was a question about my anchor over here. My first time on this site...seems like a pretty good site. Hard to keep up with which site is the not trend these days. Some may know me from my days on SailboatOwners site but it got old so I stopped posting...although I did learn a lot from that site and I thank all who have helped me.

Anyway, to the question of size, it's the 45 lb anchor. I remember when I was getting it before leaving Kemah and I thought I was getting the next size up as most anchor companies don't give a proper size...they say up to 30 knots. Well, most boats that really use an anchor are going to get more than 30 knots. Anyway, because of that I normally get the next size up and thought I was with the Mantus, but it turns out, according to their website, it's the "right" size for my boat, a Hunter 376 (37') with a displacement of 8 tons but maybe close to 8.5 or 9 with all my stuff on it. The anchor though is the same size as my Bulwagga and I remember that being a one size up. I do love my Bulwagga but I do believe the Mantus holds better and so far it's been perfect in it's setting ability.

I have to admit, I was really impressed by it this past weekend. I kept checking the compass headings during the storm and was amazed it wasn't changing. I knew I had the Bulwagga in tandum if it started to drag and with the two there should be no way I would have a problem, but for the Mantus to handle the worst part of the storm all by itself, all I can say is wow.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me by email. Those who know me, know I am very open and honest about everything, even making fun of my mistakes...and I do make a lot of mistakes

Well, I'm off to getting the boat ready for sailing again. Heading to the Cays one last week before I head to Nassau and then George Town (it's getting a little cold here).
MedSailor likes this.
post #155 of 291 Old 11-01-2012
Senior Moment Member

That settles it - high praise indeed.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
post #156 of 291 Old 11-30-2012
Vendor

Sailnetters! Mantus Anchors will now offer sponsorships for: simply put "boys and girls doing cool stuff"
So if you are embarking on an adventure you can apply for Mantus Sponsorship. Just submit your story to gregkutsen@mantusanchors.com for review. We are in the process of formalizing this process so stay tuned for the link on the website.

Anchor Purveyor
post #157 of 291 Old 12-03-2012
Vendor

Mantus Sponsorship link is now live on the website, just click "sponsorship" tab on the left and fill out the application.

Anchor Purveyor
post #158 of 291 Old 12-29-2012
Vendor

Netters check this out! www.mantusanchors.comhttp://mantusanchors.com

Anchor Purveyor

Last edited by Mantus Anchors; 12-29-2012 at 12:46 PM. Reason: typo
post #159 of 291 Old 01-25-2013
Vendor

Netters, meet us at Miami International Boat Show!
Booth 4022
We will be raffling off 2000$ worth of Mantus Products and offering big discounts....

Anchor Purveyor
post #160 of 291 Old 07-08-2013 Thread Starter
Closet Powerboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
Greg,

Since Main_Sail has passed on your offer for now, I'll offer up my services as a West Coast tester. I don't have the same equipment as Maine, but I'll promise that if you send me one, I'll hook it up to my 30,000lb 41ft ketch and take it to Jones Island in the San Juan islands where nothing likes to stick and let you know what I find. I'll also take it everywhere else and give it a go. I know some other areas of really soft mud for comparison as well. I like the concept and design and am keen to try it out in the field.

I'll post my results here on this thread that I started 4 months and 4,000+ views ago!

MedSailor
Well it took me nearly a year to the day to fulfill my original promise above (of taking the anchor to Jones island) for a test. And test it we did!

Backstory:

The holding ground in the Salish Sea is pretty good ground to get an anchor to stick and hold in. I spend 4.5 months cruising years ago on my smaller boat using a Fortress FX-16 all over the Salish Sea. It served its purpose and never came unstuck despite some serious blows. It was not quick or easy to set though. I often had to try several times and once on the THIRD time I pulled it up it was fouled with chain. Set on the fourth try....

My next boat came with a manual windlass, negating the need for a lightweight anchor. It also came with my preferred anchor, the Genuine Bruce. Ahh... how wonderful to have it set in a boat-length or less (usually less) ever time. I became a Disciple of The Bruce.

The north end of Jones Island in the San Juan Islands is the only place where I had to pull it up and try again to get a set. A couple years ago there were a bunch or boats looking for shelter from a forecast south gale (which never came). I drug it a few hundred yards the first time, and probably 50 yards the second time before it set. Another boat (with a danforth copy) came and asked me what I was using and how I set it. It set, but not where I wanted it. I was too close to another boat and had to set my fortress as as stern anchor to limit swinging. If the winds came up the stern anchor (set to the north) wouldn't be a player, but I needed it to limit swinging. No gale, but during the night with just minimal tidal swinging the fortress came unset. Didn't hit the other boat though....

So that's the story of the tough holding ground at Jones. Now for the Mantus.

I headed there on the 2nd of July and there wasn't any serious wind forecast. The anchorage was crowded when I got there, necessitating anchoring on the northwest side of the cove. 60ft of water was as close in as I could get.

I was worried that it might not set immediately and we would be backing up towards the NW cliff. I decided not to lay out too much chain and back up slowly for the initial set. I put out 160ft of chain and we started backing.

For those watching closely, here are the hard numbers. My depth sounder is mounted 2 ft low and my bowsprit is 8ft above the water. That makes the actual depth (for calculating scope) 70ft in this case.
160/70 = 2.3:1 scope.....

And she set right where I dropped her and she held full throttle in reverse!

I had a little more room to the wall and I put out 210ft and put on the bridle which attaches at the stem at the waterline negating the 8ft of rise of the bow.

New math: 62ft of depth (60 + 2 for depth sounder)
210/62 = 3.4:1 scope, which is what we went to bed with. Now I know that seems like very little scope, but I feel comfortable in certain circumstances going below 5:1. The deeper we are the better I feel about it because there is more total weight of chain for catenary. With 3/8 chain and my ridiculously large shackle that is over about 350lbs of weight in rode.

Now the fun bit.

I had worried that I was sleeping too deeply at anchor. Perhaps I was getting complacent. There was a rocky cliff only 100ft behind us.... I wondered if I could still wake up with that 6th sense when things "were't quite right." Yup, I can, and I did, because things weren't right.

At 5:30 am I woke up. I wasn't sure why I woke up but I had a nagging feeling something wasn't right. So I laid there and thought about it. The sound of the water woke me up, but it was the normal sound of lots of wavelets hitting the hull that you normally get with a strong wind.....

Oh wait, there is NO WIND. So why are the waves making that sound? I stood up in my bunk and looked out my window and there, was the cliff that was behind us, except we were facing it now, with the boat moving SIDEWAYS at 4-5 knots.

I started the engine, woke up my wife, and took to the cockpit in my underwear.

The tide was rushing in like in the Japanese Tsunami videos. There was actual white water and you could see that water higher as it filled in.

We did snatch up and the end of the anchor and then started doing FAST 360s around it. Another boat on mostly rope rode was also doing 360s and I was pretty sure he was dragging. I figured that the odds of a collision between us were high. I also didn't like what I was going on and I wanted out of there fast. Unfortunately fast isn't a speed on my manual windlass. Especially not when it's loaded. And loaded it was, with chain in deep water, and it was nearly impossible to motor to take any strain off, because we were doing figure eights.

I got in about 50ft of chain in 10 minutes (yeah I know ) and as suddenly as it started, the current madness was over. At this point, with the bridle not connected I was back to my 2.3:1 and still holding despite all the figure eights and 360s. I watched for a while and since my boat and the other boat's circles never overlapped we never hit. The anchor was clearly still holding us to the bottom. I watched for a half hour and went back to sleep.

What a crazy night! I did NOT like seeing cliff that was supposed to be 100ft behind us, be in front of us, with our boat doing 5 knots sideways!! I was REALLY glad that the anchor held through all that, in all directions and it came up easy in the morning.

After this, and my other recent anchoring adventures, I think I'm turning into a serious Mantus Fanboy.

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MedSailor For This Useful Post:
JomsViking (07-08-2013), Mantus Anchors (07-12-2013)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.