Another "Next Generation" anchor enters the market... - Page 19 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2013

RickWestlake is on a distinguished road
Re: Another "Next Generation" anchor enters the market...

Quote:
Originally Posted by erps View Post
I've owned a Manson Supreme for six years now. I've sold quite a few on our dock with my testimonials and an offer to borrow it and try it yourself.

Well today I was walking down to the boat and I passed by a MaNson "Boss". Looked like a supreme with the roll bar removed. We've had some big rocks and logs get stuck in our roll bar. Anyone with an experience with the "Boss"?
Not with the Boss, directly - but the high-looping shank reminds me of the Raya Tempest I got years ago for my old Mac 26X. (That shank was intended to make the Raya right itself, and I'm sure the Boss would be self-righting as well.)

The Raya Tempest is a tenacious anchor. I'd bet the Boss is, too - and if I didn't already have the Supreme, I'd want a Manson Boss for myself.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-22-2013

Mantus Anchors is on a distinguished road

Netters we continue to test and these are un-edited results from Boca Del Toro, Panama
Anchors in the video were loaned by local cruisers....in the area
This is the reason why competitor list is not complete...

smackdaddy likes this.
Old 12-23-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Mantus, I'm curious about something. Based on your research and/or gut instincts, if you couldn't use one of your own anchors (it didn't fit on the bow for whatever reason, etc.), what 1 or 2 WOULD you consider as a general-purpose anchor (i.e., indeterminate/varying bottom types)?
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-23-2013

Mantus Anchors is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
Mantus, I'm curious about something. Based on your research and/or gut instincts, if you couldn't use one of your own anchors (it didn't fit on the bow for whatever reason, etc.), what 1 or 2 WOULD you consider as a general-purpose anchor (i.e., indeterminate/varying bottom types)?
Sure, I think that the difference between all new generation is rarely experienced in a tangible way, bc the bottom conditions have to be really unique to bring out the difference... But setting of Bullwaga is really good though we never tested it in soft bottoms or look into holding power in different bottom types.
Rocna, Manson duo are good of course... Boss we had issues getting it to set in multiple locations.
Spade always performed good in medium viscosity bottom, but had worse performance in really dense bottoms, but still an excellent anchor that works 99% of the time...
That's my gut
SVAuspicious and RickWestlake like this.
Old 12-23-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply. We have a bent shaft on our anchor. I'm not planning on extensive anchoring, so for now it is fine. But in the next 12 months or so I will probably be upgrading to something new. FWIW, your candor in that response made me much more likely to buy a Mantus.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to jimgo For This Useful Post:
Mantus Anchors (12-23-2013)
Old 12-23-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
Thanks for the reply. We have a bent shaft on our anchor. I'm not planning on extensive anchoring, so for now it is fine. But in the next 12 months or so I will probably be upgrading to something new. FWIW, your candor in that response made me much more likely to buy a Mantus.
There's only one anchor for my bow:

Mantus Rocks!

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 12-23-2013 at 05:46 PM.
Old 12-23-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantus Anchors View Post
Netters we continue to test and these are un-edited results from Boca Del Toro, Panama
Anchors in the video were loaned by local cruisers....in the area
This is the reason why competitor list is not complete...

This type of testing organized by an interested party makes not sense and to my view does not bring credibility to the brand that organizes them. There are plenty of good sailing magazines that test regularly anchors. They are impartial, test in several bottoms and use similar methodologies that give max holding power and dragging power on each type of ground. I hope to see the Mantus being part of one of those extensive tests and I will be very curious about the results.

Regarding this testing that seems to be on an uncharacteristic hard bottom (it is not normal that all the other anchors have failed) says only that the Mantus is specially adapted to that particular and uncharacteristic bottom nothing about comparative holding powers in the type of bottoms more usual for anchoring: Sand and Mud.

Regarding the methodology of the test, it makes no sense to compare an Aluminium spade with steel anchors. It is well known that aluminium anchors have particular difficulty in setting in hard bottoms. Also we can see that while the Mantus is pulled very slowly the Spade is pulled three times faster.

I would say that even on that particular and unusual bottom that test without the two anchors that have come on the top of all the comparative tests, the Steel Rocna and the Steel Spade does not provide enough confirmation to consider the Mantus better on that particular bottom.

Has I have said previously, this test is really a bad idea. No impartiality can be warranted when the test is performed by an interested party. I hope to see the Mantus in comparative tests organized by more credible yacht magazines.

Merry Christmas to you and to all.

Paulo
Argyle38 likes this.

Old 12-23-2013

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road

Funny they didn't test the Rocna the worlds best anchor PERIOD!

http://logofthe.files.wordpress.com/...8/img_1680.jpg

Last edited by barefootnavigator; 12-23-2013 at 10:29 PM. Reason: picture
Old 12-24-2013
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Mantus Rocks!
Smacky, what were your previous anchors for your comparisons?

Mantus, I think your youtube videos have been great. I especially appreciated seeing side by side setting comparisons between two anchors on a pivoting arm. If I were in your shoes, I would use that rig a lot. That's instant visible feedback. My question, how does removing the roll bar affect the anchor's performance? Are there circumstances where a boater might want to remove the roll bar for a better configuration? The reason I ask is that in another thread, someone thought the roll bar on the Manson Supreme might actually hinder its ability to bury. I hadn't considered that before until we got a rock caught in the roll bar of our Manson Supreme.
La Conner, WA

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 12-24-2013

FranklinGray is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
This type of testing organized by an interested party...

Regarding this testing that seems to be on an uncharacteristic hard bottom (it is not normal that all the other anchors have failed)...

... Also we can see that while the Mantus is pulled very slowly the Spade is pulled three times faster.

Paulo
Paulo:

First of, I am the one who requested for the test to be done here in Bocas and it was my boat with me as the captain. I took the approach of this test as it was my responsibility to make sure the anchor set. I attempted to set each anchor the same way I set my anchor (more on that later). So NO, it was not an interested party. I have no vested interest how the Mantus performs but I do have a vested interest, as a cruiser, to know and inform others of what is the best anchor...aka...the reason for my request to test here as my primary anchor, the Bulwagga would "set" and hold like always but after diving on it I saw it didn't dig in like I am used to. I sent Greg a picture and asked if he thought his could do better.

Yes, I own a Mantus as a backup primary anchor but it is normally disassembled and stored. My Bulwagga is my primary because I really like it and I can't store it. That is, until Greg brought me a bracket to put it on.

Second, it may be uncharacteristic bottom for you, but not for people down here. Seems you fall into the trap many do like I used to in thinking everybody else's environment is like yours. Not so. I have been amazed at the different environments at each stop I make in my cruising.

Third, Each anchor was worked about the same as we could get. The process was: drop all anchors in the same spot...a few feet apart so they had a clean pull. Greg, the video guy would attach the chain and then let me know it was time to set it. If the wind was blowing hard enough at that time, I would instruct the helmsman to drift. If not, then I instructed to put in reverse at idle. Once the chain got tight, then I instructed the helmsman to start increasing the rpm slowly up to 2600 and then hold for 10 seconds or when I said to let off. In the case of the Spade, just like the Fortress (one of my anchors), we never got out of idle. I could tell when an anchor was dragging by the feel on the chain. I never gave the order to increase RPMs on those two.

It is true that it is not fair to test an aluminum Spade against a steal Mantus in setting but that's all we had to work with. We put out a request on the morning net and that is all we got.

The Mantus and Bulwagga performed about equal but because you can't buy a Bulwagga anymore, it is understandable that it's not part of the video. I know that the Mantus holds better due to me riding out a hurricane on each one, but I have to admit I was really impressed with the Mantus's setting ability in this stuff. I am still torn on what I think works better here in this hard stuff but one thing I am sure of, I can't go wrong with either one here or anyplace else.

Now if you doubt I am a real cruiser then you can just look up Bocas Del Toro on facebook and ask anybody on there if we did the test here and if Franklin on Dreamboat is really here. I'm not normally part of your web forum crew but I get on here to support the Mantus because I really wish everybody had a Mantus. In fact, one of the anchors we tested with I gave to another boat here so he would stop dragging. We had a small blow today and he didn't

Summary: Greg just hooked up the chain and video taped it while I tried to set it. I used the same scope, same boat, same chain and same process for every anchor. As a matter of fact, I didn't even know which anchor he was hooking up for each pull. I only found out after the pull. So no, you are wrong, it was an unbiased test.