Another "Next Generation" anchor enters the market... - Page 19 - SailNet Community
 71Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #181 of 291 Old 12-22-2013
Vendor
 
Mantus Anchors's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 169
Thanks: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 4
 
Re: Another "Next Generation" anchor enters the market...

Netters we continue to test and these are un-edited results from Boca Del Toro, Panama
Anchors in the video were loaned by local cruisers....in the area
This is the reason why competitor list is not complete...

smackdaddy likes this.

Anchor Purveyor
Mantus Anchors is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 291 Old 12-23-2013
Asleep at the wheel
 
jimgo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,014
Thanks: 71
Thanked 117 Times in 115 Posts
Rep Power: 4
 
Re: Another "Next Generation" anchor enters the market...

Mantus, I'm curious about something. Based on your research and/or gut instincts, if you couldn't use one of your own anchors (it didn't fit on the bow for whatever reason, etc.), what 1 or 2 WOULD you consider as a general-purpose anchor (i.e., indeterminate/varying bottom types)?

- Jim
Home: Western Philly 'burbs
1980 Allmand 31
1975 Albacore 15


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jimgo is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #183 of 291 Old 12-23-2013
Vendor
 
Mantus Anchors's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 169
Thanks: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 4
 
Re: Another "Next Generation" anchor enters the market...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
Mantus, I'm curious about something. Based on your research and/or gut instincts, if you couldn't use one of your own anchors (it didn't fit on the bow for whatever reason, etc.), what 1 or 2 WOULD you consider as a general-purpose anchor (i.e., indeterminate/varying bottom types)?
Sure, I think that the difference between all new generation is rarely experienced in a tangible way, bc the bottom conditions have to be really unique to bring out the difference... But setting of Bullwaga is really good though we never tested it in soft bottoms or look into holding power in different bottom types.
Rocna, Manson duo are good of course... Boss we had issues getting it to set in multiple locations.
Spade always performed good in medium viscosity bottom, but had worse performance in really dense bottoms, but still an excellent anchor that works 99% of the time...
That's my gut
SVAuspicious and RickWestlake like this.

Anchor Purveyor
Mantus Anchors is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #184 of 291 Old 12-23-2013
Asleep at the wheel
 
jimgo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,014
Thanks: 71
Thanked 117 Times in 115 Posts
Rep Power: 4
 
Re: Another "Next Generation" anchor enters the market...

Thanks for the reply. We have a bent shaft on our anchor. I'm not planning on extensive anchoring, so for now it is fine. But in the next 12 months or so I will probably be upgrading to something new. FWIW, your candor in that response made me much more likely to buy a Mantus.

- Jim
Home: Western Philly 'burbs
1980 Allmand 31
1975 Albacore 15


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jimgo is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to jimgo For This Useful Post:
Mantus Anchors (12-23-2013)
post #185 of 291 Old 12-23-2013
Last Man Standing
 
smackdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 14,164
Thanks: 136
Thanked 125 Times in 118 Posts
Rep Power: 9
     
Re: Another "Next Generation" anchor enters the market...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
Thanks for the reply. We have a bent shaft on our anchor. I'm not planning on extensive anchoring, so for now it is fine. But in the next 12 months or so I will probably be upgrading to something new. FWIW, your candor in that response made me much more likely to buy a Mantus.
There's only one anchor for my bow:



Mantus Rocks!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 12-23-2013 at 05:46 PM.
smackdaddy is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #186 of 291 Old 12-23-2013
PCP
Senior Member
 
PCP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Portugal, West Coast
Posts: 16,195
Thanks: 21
Thanked 102 Times in 85 Posts
Rep Power: 11
 
Re: Another "Next Generation" anchor enters the market...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantus Anchors View Post
Netters we continue to test and these are un-edited results from Boca Del Toro, Panama
Anchors in the video were loaned by local cruisers....in the area
This is the reason why competitor list is not complete...


This type of testing organized by an interested party makes not sense and to my view does not bring credibility to the brand that organizes them. There are plenty of good sailing magazines that test regularly anchors. They are impartial, test in several bottoms and use similar methodologies that give max holding power and dragging power on each type of ground. I hope to see the Mantus being part of one of those extensive tests and I will be very curious about the results.

Regarding this testing that seems to be on an uncharacteristic hard bottom (it is not normal that all the other anchors have failed) says only that the Mantus is specially adapted to that particular and uncharacteristic bottom nothing about comparative holding powers in the type of bottoms more usual for anchoring: Sand and Mud.

Regarding the methodology of the test, it makes no sense to compare an Aluminium spade with steel anchors. It is well known that aluminium anchors have particular difficulty in setting in hard bottoms. Also we can see that while the Mantus is pulled very slowly the Spade is pulled three times faster.

I would say that even on that particular and unusual bottom that test without the two anchors that have come on the top of all the comparative tests, the Steel Rocna and the Steel Spade does not provide enough confirmation to consider the Mantus better on that particular bottom.

Has I have said previously, this test is really a bad idea. No impartiality can be warranted when the test is performed by an interested party. I hope to see the Mantus in comparative tests organized by more credible yacht magazines.

Merry Christmas to you and to all.

Paulo
Argyle38 likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PCP is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #187 of 291 Old 12-23-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 663
Thanks: 27
Thanked 24 Times in 24 Posts
Rep Power: 4
 
Re: Another "Next Generation" anchor enters the market...

Funny they didn't test the Rocna the worlds best anchor PERIOD!

http://logofthe.files.wordpress.com/...8/img_1680.jpg

Last edited by barefootnavigator; 12-23-2013 at 10:29 PM. Reason: picture
barefootnavigator is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #188 of 291 Old 12-24-2013
the pointy end is the bow
 
erps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: La Conner, Washington
Posts: 6,260
Thanks: 2
Thanked 27 Times in 26 Posts
Rep Power: 10
   
Re: Another "Next Generation" anchor enters the market...

Quote:
Mantus Rocks!
Smacky, what were your previous anchors for your comparisons?

Mantus, I think your youtube videos have been great. I especially appreciated seeing side by side setting comparisons between two anchors on a pivoting arm. If I were in your shoes, I would use that rig a lot. That's instant visible feedback. My question, how does removing the roll bar affect the anchor's performance? Are there circumstances where a boater might want to remove the roll bar for a better configuration? The reason I ask is that in another thread, someone thought the roll bar on the Manson Supreme might actually hinder its ability to bury. I hadn't considered that before until we got a rock caught in the roll bar of our Manson Supreme.

Ray
S.V. Nikko
1983 Fraser 41
La Conner, WA


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
erps is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #189 of 291 Old 12-24-2013
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Re: Another "Next Generation" anchor enters the market...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
This type of testing organized by an interested party...

Regarding this testing that seems to be on an uncharacteristic hard bottom (it is not normal that all the other anchors have failed)...

... Also we can see that while the Mantus is pulled very slowly the Spade is pulled three times faster.


Paulo
Paulo:

First of, I am the one who requested for the test to be done here in Bocas and it was my boat with me as the captain. I took the approach of this test as it was my responsibility to make sure the anchor set. I attempted to set each anchor the same way I set my anchor (more on that later). So NO, it was not an interested party. I have no vested interest how the Mantus performs but I do have a vested interest, as a cruiser, to know and inform others of what is the best anchor...aka...the reason for my request to test here as my primary anchor, the Bulwagga would "set" and hold like always but after diving on it I saw it didn't dig in like I am used to. I sent Greg a picture and asked if he thought his could do better.

Yes, I own a Mantus as a backup primary anchor but it is normally disassembled and stored. My Bulwagga is my primary because I really like it and I can't store it. That is, until Greg brought me a bracket to put it on.

Second, it may be uncharacteristic bottom for you, but not for people down here. Seems you fall into the trap many do like I used to in thinking everybody else's environment is like yours. Not so. I have been amazed at the different environments at each stop I make in my cruising.

Third, Each anchor was worked about the same as we could get. The process was: drop all anchors in the same spot...a few feet apart so they had a clean pull. Greg, the video guy would attach the chain and then let me know it was time to set it. If the wind was blowing hard enough at that time, I would instruct the helmsman to drift. If not, then I instructed to put in reverse at idle. Once the chain got tight, then I instructed the helmsman to start increasing the rpm slowly up to 2600 and then hold for 10 seconds or when I said to let off. In the case of the Spade, just like the Fortress (one of my anchors), we never got out of idle. I could tell when an anchor was dragging by the feel on the chain. I never gave the order to increase RPMs on those two.

It is true that it is not fair to test an aluminum Spade against a steal Mantus in setting but that's all we had to work with. We put out a request on the morning net and that is all we got.

The Mantus and Bulwagga performed about equal but because you can't buy a Bulwagga anymore, it is understandable that it's not part of the video. I know that the Mantus holds better due to me riding out a hurricane on each one, but I have to admit I was really impressed with the Mantus's setting ability in this stuff. I am still torn on what I think works better here in this hard stuff but one thing I am sure of, I can't go wrong with either one here or anyplace else.

Now if you doubt I am a real cruiser then you can just look up Bocas Del Toro on facebook and ask anybody on there if we did the test here and if Franklin on Dreamboat is really here. I'm not normally part of your web forum crew but I get on here to support the Mantus because I really wish everybody had a Mantus. In fact, one of the anchors we tested with I gave to another boat here so he would stop dragging. We had a small blow today and he didn't

Summary: Greg just hooked up the chain and video taped it while I tried to set it. I used the same scope, same boat, same chain and same process for every anchor. As a matter of fact, I didn't even know which anchor he was hooking up for each pull. I only found out after the pull. So no, you are wrong, it was an unbiased test.
FranklinGray is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #190 of 291 Old 12-24-2013
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Re: Another "Next Generation" anchor enters the market...

Quote:
Originally Posted by erps View Post
Smacky, what were your previous anchors for your comparisons?

Mantus, I think your youtube videos have been great. I especially appreciated seeing side by side setting comparisons between two anchors on a pivoting arm. If I were in your shoes, I would use that rig a lot. That's instant visible feedback. My question, how does removing the roll bar affect the anchor's performance? Are there circumstances where a boater might want to remove the roll bar for a better configuration? The reason I ask is that in another thread, someone thought the roll bar on the Manson Supreme might actually hinder its ability to bury. I hadn't considered that before until we got a rock caught in the roll bar of our Manson Supreme.
I know Greg has been very hopeful that the Mantus would work good enough without the rollbar but considering that is what we tested here the first day, I feel I am qualified to say do not even consider it. Now I am pretty sure Greg will not like me saying that but the fact is, it is easy to set the Mantus without it, but if the Mantus has to reset itself for some reason it can not be trusted to set correctly without the rollbar. Do not leave your boat on a Mantus without a rollbar and nobody on board.

Now there is consideration on changes to the anchor that will allow it to work but for now, without a rollbar and the anchor gets upside down, nothing will make it get back on the right side.

As for the bar preventing it digging in, not a chance. I rode out the first half of Sandy on only the Mantus and after the storm, the rollbar was 6 inches below the surface and it didn't drag but a foot to dig in deeper. So don't sweat the bar but change the bow sprit if you have to.
FranklinGray is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Seacock" vs. "ballcock" or "ball valve?" SEMIJim Gear & Maintenance 18 09-02-2013 05:31 PM
"Buyer's Market" - any data to back it up? hazmat17 Boat Review and Purchase Forum 86 09-24-2012 09:25 AM
"Market Price" deniseO30 Chesapeake Bay 16 07-08-2011 06:43 PM
How to anchor with "stern-tie" single handed FishFinder Seamanship & Navigation 12 09-04-2009 12:37 PM
C270 Main Sail "stack Pack", Quick Cover", "lazy Bag" Install randy22556 Catalina 1 02-28-2007 11:53 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome