Another "Next Generation" anchor enters the market... - Page 20 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree71Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2013

FranklinGray is on a distinguished road
Re: Another "Next Generation" anchor enters the market...

Quote:
Originally Posted by erps View Post
Smacky, what were your previous anchors for your comparisons?

Mantus, I think your youtube videos have been great. I especially appreciated seeing side by side setting comparisons between two anchors on a pivoting arm. If I were in your shoes, I would use that rig a lot. That's instant visible feedback. My question, how does removing the roll bar affect the anchor's performance? Are there circumstances where a boater might want to remove the roll bar for a better configuration? The reason I ask is that in another thread, someone thought the roll bar on the Manson Supreme might actually hinder its ability to bury. I hadn't considered that before until we got a rock caught in the roll bar of our Manson Supreme.
I know Greg has been very hopeful that the Mantus would work good enough without the rollbar but considering that is what we tested here the first day, I feel I am qualified to say do not even consider it. Now I am pretty sure Greg will not like me saying that but the fact is, it is easy to set the Mantus without it, but if the Mantus has to reset itself for some reason it can not be trusted to set correctly without the rollbar. Do not leave your boat on a Mantus without a rollbar and nobody on board.

Now there is consideration on changes to the anchor that will allow it to work but for now, without a rollbar and the anchor gets upside down, nothing will make it get back on the right side.

As for the bar preventing it digging in, not a chance. I rode out the first half of Sandy on only the Mantus and after the storm, the rollbar was 6 inches below the surface and it didn't drag but a foot to dig in deeper. So don't sweat the bar but change the bow sprit if you have to.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-25-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranklinGray View Post
Paulo:

First of, I am the one who requested for the test to be done here in Bocas and it was my boat with me as the captain. I took the approach of this test as it was my responsibility to make sure the anchor set. I attempted to set each anchor the same way I set my anchor (more on that later). So NO, it was not an interested party. I have no vested interest how the Mantus performs but I do have a vested interest, as a cruiser, to know and inform others of what is the best anchor...aka...the reason for my request to test here as my primary anchor, the Bulwagga would "set" and hold like always but after diving on it I saw it didn't dig in like I am used to. I sent Greg a picture and asked if he thought his could do better.

Yes, I own a Mantus as a backup primary anchor but it is normally disassembled and stored. My Bulwagga is my primary because I really like it and I can't store it. That is, until Greg brought me a bracket to put it on.

Second, it may be uncharacteristic bottom for you, but not for people down here. Seems you fall into the trap many do like I used to in thinking everybody else's environment is like yours. Not so. I have been amazed at the different environments at each stop I make in my cruising.

Third, Each anchor was worked about the same as we could get. The process was: drop all anchors in the same spot...a few feet apart so they had a clean pull. Greg, the video guy would attach the chain and then let me know it was time to set it. If the wind was blowing hard enough at that time, I would instruct the helmsman to drift. If not, then I instructed to put in reverse at idle. Once the chain got tight, then I instructed the helmsman to start increasing the rpm slowly up to 2600 and then hold for 10 seconds or when I said to let off. In the case of the Spade, just like the Fortress (one of my anchors), we never got out of idle. I could tell when an anchor was dragging by the feel on the chain. I never gave the order to increase RPMs on those two.

It is true that it is not fair to test an aluminum Spade against a steal Mantus in setting but that's all we had to work with. We put out a request on the morning net and that is all we got.

The Mantus and Bulwagga performed about equal but because you can't buy a Bulwagga anymore, it is understandable that it's not part of the video. I know that the Mantus holds better due to me riding out a hurricane on each one, but I have to admit I was really impressed with the Mantus's setting ability in this stuff. I am still torn on what I think works better here in this hard stuff but one thing I am sure of, I can't go wrong with either one here or anyplace else.

Now if you doubt I am a real cruiser then you can just look up Bocas Del Toro on facebook and ask anybody on there if we did the test here and if Franklin on Dreamboat is really here. I'm not normally part of your web forum crew but I get on here to support the Mantus because I really wish everybody had a Mantus. In fact, one of the anchors we tested with I gave to another boat here so he would stop dragging. We had a small blow today and he didn't

Summary: Greg just hooked up the chain and video taped it while I tried to set it. I used the same scope, same boat, same chain and same process for every anchor. As a matter of fact, I didn't even know which anchor he was hooking up for each pull. I only found out after the pull. So no, you are wrong, it was an unbiased test.
Another shill from Mantus now appears. Actually we are quite used to Mantus commng up with their tedtimonials monthly on here to keep the anchor in the forefront. They are allowed after all as they are a financial supporter of Sailnet. Who will forget their first testimonial on here who never disclosed they were in actuality a member of the company.

Paulo is correct is saying your testimonial has as much weight as anoone elses who has an opinion and shouldnt be looked at with any more authority, Hihs point which I support that until these tests are done by an independent organization without any finanicial gain in an environement where the test is conducted and certified that all factors are controlled and equal to all the anchors, the videos are nothing more than sales propaganda for Manus.

In actuallity Mantus is a good achor I am sure with lines and build like the other two prominent new generation achors Manson Supreme and Rocna. It really is not a newly developed anchor as the design was tried and true before with Manson/ Rocna and I would expect the results when done independently will show NEGLIGABLE difference between the 3 anchors.

I dont know many sailors who have one of the two original anchors( Manson/ Rocna) scrapping them and rushing out buying a Mantus. I do see the usefullness of carrying a backup anchor, dissassembled like the Mantus to save space with the same design as the Rocna/ Manson.

I have had a ROCNA for 6 years now and stick by it as my primary with a Mantus in the anchor compartment dissassempled for use if necessary.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 12-25-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Another shill from Mantus now appears. Actually we are quite used to Mantus commng up with their tedtimonials monthly on here to keep the anchor in the forefront. They are allowed after all as they are a financial supporter of Sailnet. Who will forget their first testimonial on here who never disclosed they were in actuality a member of the company.
"Shill"? Dude, a little heavy on the conspiracy theories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erps View Post
Smacky, what were your previous anchors for your comparisons?
I've only used the Danforth-styles in the past. But I've followed the anchor threads pretty closely over time - and had planned to go straight to a new gen anchor like the Mantus, Rocna, or MS when the time came. Rocna dropped off the list pretty quickly with their integrity meltdown. And I liked how Mantus was showing the videos of their tests. I was satisfied with them.

Then I saw MaineSail's evaluation of the "top three" - and his positive take on the Mantus.

That was good enough for me. I ordered one through SN.

THEN I received just about the best customer service on the planet. Since my arm was busted up from our accident, Greg himself delivered our new Mantus to the boat. Who does that these days?

So, despite Chef's aspersions above - I've got nothing but praise for Mantus. I think it would be very hard to go wrong with these guys the their gear.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 12-25-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Gentlemen, I know anchors are a hot topic right up there with politics and religion, but please keep civil.

One thing I don't understand and Paulo maybe you can help me. You said that you didn't understand why Mantus performed tests on their anchor since they are an "interested" party. I'm unclear as to whether you have a problem with them testing the anchor or the methods that they used. If it's the fact that they tested it, I'm really confused because why wouldn't any manufacture test their own product and continue to test to make sure that it behaves as it should? Otherwise, there'd be a heck of a lot of disbanded QA departments. If it's the location with that particular bottom that is the problem, I would hope that Mantus has done other tests in other circumstances and that this is but one of them. Since the Mantus posts says "we continue to test" than I'm going to assume they do.

I just want to be clear on your argument against it. Thanks!

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 12-25-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Another shill from Mantus now appears.
Unless you have proof, Dave, I think that statement's gotta go....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-25-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Another shill from Mantus now appears.
Wow, kind of rude...

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 12-25-2013 at 08:36 PM.
Old 12-25-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Another shill from Mantus now appears. ...
This is a rather unfair assertion.

Quote:

Actually we are quite used to Mantus commng up with their tedtimonials monthly on here to keep the anchor in the forefront. They are allowed after all as they are a financial supporter of Sailnet. Who will forget their first testimonial on here who never disclosed they were in actuality a member of the company.
Yes, Mantus does post about their product. It's one of the benefits of supporting the site. Judging by the huge ad at the top of my page I think they still do support the site. I think, too, that members have benefited from the access to the company when they have questions and concerns as well as the periodic discounts Mantus extends to SailNet members.

I don't have a Mantus and for now, see no need to change my current two anchors. I do think that this type of communication on this site with other companies that our community uses would be a fine thing indeed.

So much happens in this forum and I don't remember anyone misrepresenting themselves. If I was interested in a new anchor, I'd probably be more clear on it as things like that I tend to remember if I'm interested in the company or its products. If that is the case, well, I think Mantus's open involvement and willingness to be an engaged member of our site since should be enough to let that incident remain in the past.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 12-25-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Not sure if they are deleted, but a person from Fortress has posted a time or two also. What I ahve noticed to a degree about both fortress and mantus, is they do point out the good, to a degree admit the bad.......all products have both good an dbad frankly. I have yet to trust, nor have I found something that is BEST ALL THE TIME! somewhere a condition arrives such that the thing, be it an anchor, truck, bobcat, lawn mower, shovel, rake....shoes.....anyway, it will not be the best!

Marty
Old 12-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
"Shill"? Dude, a little heavy on the conspiracy theories.

I've only used the Danforth-styles in the past. But I've followed the anchor threads pretty closely over time - and had planned to go straight to a new gen anchor like the Mantus, Rocna, or MS when the time came. Rocna dropped off the list pretty quickly with their integrity meltdown. And I liked how Mantus was showing the videos of their tests. I was satisfied with them.

Then I saw MaineSail's evaluation of the "top three" - and his positive take on the Mantus.

That was good enough for me. I ordered one through SN.

THEN I received just about the best customer service on the planet. Since my arm was busted up from our accident, Greg himself delivered our new Mantus to the boat. Who does that these days?

So, despite Chef's aspersions above - I've got nothing but praise for Mantus. I think it would be very hard to go wrong with these guys the their gear.
Give me a break. a Difference of opinoin is now an aspersion???No asperations here...I purchased a Mantus long before you did...and yes I dont think they are the best thing since sliced bread...and yes my ROCNA from NZ still holds the promenent place at the end of my anchor roller while the Mantus sits dissassembled in the anchor locker to use if necessary.

I saw Mainesails evaluation and through it dont see where it determined that it was essentially anything better or different than a ROCNA or Manson.

So whats the problem mates.....anyone who disagree with Mantus boasts on here is not allowed to have an opinion or post it as strong as the people who shill for them? Even if you have bought their product like I did you cant have an opinion negative to them?

And oh yes Donna...you should return to the archives....when Mantus first posted here on of the posters did a piece extolling the vitrues of the anchor like she was this first time cruiser. Then it was determined she was in fact an employee of the company. I cant help that fact, but it is a fact and it soured me a little on the way the company did business. Maybe it is why I am so suspicious of their marketing or videos.

In spite of that I still purchased one. I guess that qualifies me to be able to speak about them more than someone who just reads about them and defends them blindly. But of course I would expect them to be defended as they are a SAILNET sponser. Its a shame ROCNA isnt.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 12-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
This is a rather unfair assertion.

Yes, Mantus does post about their product. It's one of the benefits of supporting the site. Judging by the huge ad at the top of my page I think they still do support the site. I think, too, that members have benefited from the access to the company when they have questions and concerns as well as the periodic discounts Mantus extends to SailNet members.

I don't have a Mantus and for now, see no need to change my current two anchors. I do think that this type of communication on this site with other companies that our community uses would be a fine thing indeed.

So much happens in this forum and I don't remember anyone misrepresenting themselves. If I was interested in a new anchor, I'd probably be more clear on it as things like that I tend to remember if I'm interested in the company or its products. If that is the case, well, I think Mantus's open involvement and willingness to be an engaged member of our site since should be enough to let that incident remain in the past.
Yes so true. Go marketing scheme...Willing to spend money...willing to support the site...open invilvement and willingness to be engaged member.

Almost makes you think they are our friends here. They are here to make money...thats they reason they are so engaged. Bully for that...they are doing a good job at that.

Again I bought one...not because they were my friend...were engaged here...i bought it because i saw it the EQUAL of a Manson or ROCNA with the advantage that it could be carried dissassembled.

Nothing here has convinced me it is superior to the two original designs mentioned. Had I to the money to be only one, it would be the Manson or Rocna.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-