Another "Next Generation" anchor enters the market... - Page 23 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree71Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
Re: Another "Next Generation" anchor enters the market...

funny how real time testing, ie, in an actual anchorage under windy and choppy and currents flowing conditions yields different results than most of the alleged anchor tests in contained situations.
why not just go out and use the anchor to see if it works..
i will again offer to accept all unwanted bruce anchors. i want 3 more. 25kg and up in weight, as appropriate for my boat.
christian.hess likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-30-2013
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

ill take some down here...too!!! if you stop by el salvador, and anchor in estero de jaltepeque drop whatever trash you think you have and unload it on boat

"la bebi"
islander 36

ps. about anchors I thought about "making" a massive stainless one like the new ones since welding and stainless is cheap down here...however I thought about weight and design and stopped

we dont have anchors for sale down here and shipping is ridiculous form the states

I would love a nice anchor though and any of the new generation ones would be lovely in my book

look at the positive and not the negative I guess...
chef2sail and zeehag like this.

Old 12-31-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
I have some ethical issues with Manson and of course Raya is out of business. I wouldn't hesitate to buy an anchor from Rocna, Spade (steel), or Mantus if I didn't have plenty of good (mostly) anchors already.
You don't have any "ethical issues" with Rocna? Really?

Wow.
miatapaul likes this.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 12-31-2013
Old enough to know better

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
You don't have any "ethical issues" with Rocna? Really?

Wow.
I was thinking that, but let is slide. Seems all of the anchor vendors have there issues to some extent or anther, but they are bottom dwellers by nature right?!?!
Old 12-31-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
funny how real time testing, ie, in an actual anchorage under windy and choppy and currents flowing conditions yields different results than most of the alleged anchor tests in contained situations.
why not just go out and use the anchor to see if it works..
i will again offer to accept all unwanted bruce anchors. i want 3 more. 25kg and up in weight, as appropriate for my boat.
I think that's probably what most folks pretty much wind up doing, in the end...

Steve Dashew, for instance... He's someone who knows a fair bit about anchoring. For a long time, he was a staunch and vigorous advocate of his belief that your Bruce was the world's finest all-around anchor...

Until, he tried a 'New Generation' Rocna, that is... And, he's never looked back, since... :-)

Last edited by JonEisberg; 12-31-2013 at 01:16 AM.
Old 12-31-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantus Anchors View Post
you can count the links you will see they are all there
WE CAN ONLY TRY TO BE HONEST, THE TRUST WE HAVE TO EARN

We would love nothing more than an independent assessment, unfortunately by the virtue that they are independent tests we do not control who and when does them.... Further to test the setting ability of an anchor, a magazine would have to go to different locations known to be difficult and test there. To date no one has been willing to pony up the money to do that... so do not expect it anytime soon.....

So as sad as this is what you have is cruisers testimonials and Yes our "demo" videos to go on... HOWEVER WE WANT TO HAVE YOUR RESPECT, SO IF THERE IS ANYTHING YOU WANT US TO DO IN THE FUTURE OR A PLACE TO VISIT, OR TO BE DIRECTLY INVOLVED.... WE ARE THERE!!!
This is why I like these guys. They simply believe in their product and are willing to do anything to PROVE its worth to us normal dudes - with direct comparisons in as many different ways as they can show them.

This is FAR better than just repeatedly claiming crap on forums and/or trashing competitors.

I say, "Go Mantus."

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 12-31-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
I was thinking that, but let is slide. Seems all of the anchor vendors have there issues to some extent or anther, but they are bottom dwellers by nature right?!?!
There were no quality issues at Rocna during the time the Smiths operated the company. To my knowledge there are no issues under Canada Metal. There certainly were issues during the intermediate ownership.

One can certainly make a case that Craig Smith did not work and play well with others. *grin*

Set the Manson Supreme aside and look at Manson's entire line of anchors. Copies. Every last one of them. Copies. Now I suppose it is possible that in a fit of creativity they designed the new Manson Supreme anchor completely independently of the ongoing manufacturing discussions they had with Rocna that just happened to look strikingly like the Rocna for which they had drawings and specifications. Right.

Intellectual property is what paid for my boat so I feel strongly about it. Taking someone else's ideas and calling them your own is wrong. It's one thing to be derivative and add value. It's something else to copy.

That's my issue with Manson.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 12-31-2013

look guys..i am serious about your discarded and useless bruce anchors.... please send them to me. they are cute on my boat. i need more. please.

Old 12-31-2013
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road

I'm neutral.
That's a claw, no more real Bruces which I swore by for years. But I still have two genuine Bruces at home, one 15kg and a little wee (5kg?) one.

Old 12-31-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
I'm neutral.
That's a claw, no more real Bruces which I swore by for years. But I still have two genuine Bruces at home, one 15kg and a little wee (5kg?) one.

i do not want imitation, only genuine bruce.. and i know they are obsolete and useless to yŠll now, so i will take them off your hands
is why i placed this offer to those of you feeling in this manner....send me your useless genuine bruce anchors. i want 3 more. they look so cute on my boat. 25 kg and up to 33 kg.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.