Another "Next Generation" anchor enters the market... - Page 25 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2013

dabnis is on a distinguished road
Re: Another "Next Generation" anchor enters the market...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
The ultimate "fair" and more scientific test for holding power would be a massive test tank, 80' long X 10' wide by 6' deep or so, with known consistent sifted media & water in it.

The machine would be on a vibrating base, like a soil tamper, and vibrate the media/water back to the same consistency after each drag. Drags and loading would all be computer controlled so as to impart no variations in testing.. Then and only then can truly fair holding capacity comparisons take place with a known consistent media...

With a test like this we can then A/B holding power for that particular media & anchor which could be loosely extrapolated to "general" holding power ratings across other mediums...
Curious if you did any testing on a Northill anchor? I had one, since given to my son in law. It never dragged and always set easily. The only drawback might be if you swung 180 degrees the line could possibly wrap around the fluke sticking up?

I used to see lots of them, some "home made", on commercial boats here on the west coast.

Paul T
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-01-2014
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
The ultimate "fair" and more scientific test for holding power would be a massive test tank, 80' long X 10' wide by 6' deep or so, with known consistent sifted media & water in it.
I've been talking to the SNAME Small Craft Committee for several years on the concept of a repeatable test protocol. It's a lot of work. The goal is a set of guidelines to allow apples to apples comparison of tests over time and location. I'm still short a civil engineer with experience in saturated soils. We're heading towards publication in a peer reviewed journal.
jimgo likes this.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-09-2014

Mantus Anchors is on a distinguished road

Hey Netters Come and join us at Miami International Boat Show....
Booth 3698 Big Tent Outside the Convention Center....
and yes of course you tell us you are a hard time Netter and we will give you something...
Greg
smackdaddy likes this.
Old 02-10-2014
Pearson 303

SVCarolena is on a distinguished road

Will you be offering any discounts on your website during the show? Just curious for those of us that can't make it.
Old 02-10-2014

Mantus Anchors is on a distinguished road

Unfortunately, to get this discount you have to be at the show in person.
But we will have something special for the online Netters very soon
Greg
christian.hess likes this.
Old 02-10-2014

argalax is on a distinguished road

Two things I don't like about the anchor (pictured in the original post of the thread):
1). Bolt assembly makes me nervous too - bolts may/WILL go loose at some point, when you least expect it. Hence it is not useful as primary anchor.
2). Stowing disassembled option - can't really be used in emergency (try bolting it together in rough seas while being blown toward lee shore). Hence not useful as secondary anchor either.
So, no use for me.
Old 02-10-2014

NCC320 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by argalax View Post
Two things I don't like about the anchor (pictured in the original post of the thread):
1). Bolt assembly makes me nervous too - bolts may/WILL go loose at some point, when you least expect it. Hence it is not useful as primary anchor.
2). Stowing disassembled option - can't really be used in emergency (try bolting it together in rough seas while being blown toward lee shore). Hence not useful as secondary anchor either.
So, no use for me.
1) The wheels on your car are bolted on and they don't come off, despite thousands of rotations/loadings and unloadings. Anchors are used comparatively little, experience limited movement, and generally are in a static, none moving situation (either on the boat or in the bottom). The bolts are not likely to come undone if you have tightened them with the lock washer.

2) It seems to me that having the anchor as a secondary, or better, a storm anchor is a real feature of this anchor. You will know when conditions are picking up and that you might need to deploy this anchor in advance of actually using it. A prudent captain would assemble this secondary anchor and have it ready to deploy when he needed it, before he needed it. And if it were a storm anchor and he was aware of the situation by monitoring the weather forecasts, he might chose to have deployed this anchor before the storm arrived.
There are 6 bolts that go together quickly. Four to five minutes is sufficient. The Mantus, when disassembled into 3 parts (plus bolts) stores well. Just my opinion....I have one disassembled in my boat's locker, just in case that I should need it some day.
christian.hess likes this.

Last edited by NCC320; 02-10-2014 at 10:50 PM.
Old 02-11-2014
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough

We were looking for Mantus at the Seattle Boat show. I see a 65 pounder in our future. The bolts concerned me at first but the side by side anchoring video with a Manson Supreme and the stowability of the Mantus sold me.
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 02-12-2014
new dad!

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

id love one! waiting for that netter surprise! yay

afraid of bolts, geeze...then dont ride a car, bike, motorcycle, anything mechanical, be wary of your door, dont open stuff, not even the fridge cause you know bolts are scary

man!
Old 02-13-2014

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Do the bent anchor shafts mentioned in Practical Sailor bother you? How about the steel quality the bolts are made of ? I have one and so no reason tp find the claims its better than its predacessors Rocna or Manson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erps View Post
We were looking for Mantus at the Seattle Boat show. I see a 65 pounder in our future. The bolts concerned me at first but the side by side anchoring video with a Manson Supreme and the stowability of the Mantus sold me.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner