Another "Next Generation" anchor enters the market... - Page 26 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree71Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2014
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
Re: Another "Next Generation" anchor enters the market...

I haven't heard about the bent anchor shafts. I've seen the pictures of the bent anchor shafts with the new Rocna's and that would concern me so I'll look into that. Thanks for the heads up.

I have a 45 lb Manson Supreme and I love it, but there have been times that even it had a hard time setting. I really like the idea of having a BFA that sets well and that also stores well. When we switched to the Mason from previously using a Bruce and a CQR, the Manson's setting ability was immediately apparent to us the very first time we set it. So to see this Mantus set even faster than a darn good anchor like the Manson Supreme made a very good impression. I couldn 't imagine storing a 65 lb Mason Supreme in a locker somewhere, but I can see being able to do that with the Mantus.
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-22-2014

Mantus Anchors is on a distinguished road

Netters thank you for your support!
wanted to share this blog post with you...

s/v Perry: Nightmare Anchorage in Lizard TownTalking anchors is a bit like talking religion and people have strong opinions. After spending almost every night at anchor over the last year and surviving strong winds and rough anchorages with all kinds of bottoms without dragging, I'm ready to jump into the fray with a plug (uncompensated and with no hidden agenda) for our Mantus anchor. We love it. Yeah, we love it so much maybe we WILL marry it..........
Old 02-23-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantus Anchors View Post
Netters thank you for your support!
wanted to share this blog post with you...
Quote:
s/v Perry: Nightmare Anchorage in Lizard Town

We met one couple in the boatyard in Beaufort, North Carolina that had sold everything to move aboard their boat and then less than a year later decided it wasn't for them and threw in the towel. The main reason they gave was that they were never able to sleep well while at anchor due to worry.
I'm sure many of us have heard similar stories, as well ... Never ceases to amaze, wouldn't you think people would figure out that they're Nervous Nellies about anchoring BEFORE selling everything they own, and embarking upon the glossy magazine 'Cruising Lifestyle' ?

Or, that after a year or more, they simply hadn't learned enough about anchoring to be able to do so with confidence?

UFB...

Last edited by Faster; 02-23-2014 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Fixed quote
Old 02-23-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
I'm sure many of us have heard similar stories, as well ... Never ceases to amaze, wouldn't you think people would figure out that they're Nervous Nellies about anchoring BEFORE selling everything they own, and embarking upon the glossy magazine 'Cruising Lifestyle' ?

Or, that after a year or more, they simply hadn't learned enough about anchoring to be able to do so with confidence?

UFB...
We had members in our sailing club who felt the same.. For 30 YEARS!!

They seemed to make it a point of pride that they'd never anchored in all that time. They only ever attended our rendezvous' if we went to a marina...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-23-2014

Mantus Anchors is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Do the bent anchor shafts mentioned in Practical Sailor bother you? How about the steel quality the bolts are made of ? I have one and so no reason tp find the claims its better than its predacessors Rocna or Manson.
Chef2sail, Practical Sailor has never reported a bent Mantus Shank, as you state in your post.
However, shanks of any design can bend and where we stand with our shanks is clearly explained in this write up.... Anchor Shank Strength for Lateral Applied Loads

We also have a life time warranty on our anchors and ship replacement parts at our expense.

As far as the bolts go,
Even though we currently use Grade 5 bolts the anchor was designed and sized for use with Grade 2 bolts.

For example a Mantus 35-lbs anchor has FOUR 1/2-in bolts at the shank joint. Each 1/2-in Grade 5 (120 ksi) bolt has ultimate tensile strength (UTS) of 24,000-lbs. Compare that to the 5/16-in High Tensile (HT) chain which has UTS = 11,700-lbs.
Each bolt is twice as strong as the chain & there are four bolts, so the Mantus joint is 8x as strong as the chain.
Simple math gives you - Mantus shank joint UTS = 96,000 lbs
5/16" HT chain - UTS = 11,700 lbs.

For Grade 2 (74 ksi) bolts the UTS =14,800-lbs. A single 1/2" Grade 2 bolt is still stronger than the HT chain. And the Mantus shank joint with four Grade 2 bolts has UTS = 59,200-lbs and is 5x as strong as the 5/16" HT chain.

reference bolt strength data

Greg
Happy Mardi Gras!

Last edited by Mantus Anchors; 02-23-2014 at 02:59 PM.
Old 06-09-2014
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

The shear strength of the Mantus bolts is massively higher than any load you'd ever encounter. It's simply not an issue. As far as bolts loosening, as long as they are sufficiently torqued, it should never be an issue and even if ONE were to loosen, it would be immediately obvious. Just not an issue.

I would like to hear from folks who have been using the Mantus for a while now as per any rusting, bending, wear and tear issues. Looking at all the anchor options, I believe a 65# Mantus will be my next main anchor.
Old 06-09-2014

IStream is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantus Anchors View Post
Unfortunately, to get this discount you have to be at the show in person.
But we will have something special for the online Netters very soon
Greg
Greg,
It's been about four months since your "stay tuned" post. The season's getting started up here in Seattle and I'm anchor shopping. Any Netter deals available?
Old 06-09-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
I would like to hear from folks who have been using the Mantus for a while now as per any rusting, bending, wear and tear issues. Looking at all the anchor options, I believe a 65# Mantus will be my next main anchor.
65#er for a 35 footer seems overkill to me?? We've got a 35# Mantus on our (albeit lighter) 35 footer - replacing a same weight CQR.

Early days for us but last year we plowed enough furrows in a bay with our CQR to plant corn.. early this year, same bay, same place, single drop and solid stop with Mantus. We'll have more to say at the end of this coming summer.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 06-09-2014
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I was one of the early adopters and I've been using mine for 2 years now and have really put her through her paces. I really like this anchor. I will preface this with the statement that I'm comparing it to my experience with the Fortress and genuine Bruce and I've never used a Mansocna.

She grabs quick and hard and sets right where you drop her. A Bruce is a fast setting anchor, but the power of the grab is immediately apparent with the Mantus. I once set her while in a strong current and my bowsprit dipped down over a foot as she grabbed.

I've had no rust or other issues with mine and the supplied lock washers have kept the bolts from working loose. I disassembled my anchor when I put my boat up for sale and she came apart just fine (I used the supplied grease when I first put her together) after 2 years of use.

I convinced my dad to join the cult and he's currently on the way to the Broughton Islands with his new Mantus. He's planning on posting his thoughts on the trawler forum when he gets back. He's used his once so far, where he had a 40ft sailboat and a 40ft trawler rafted to his 52ft pilothouse boat. All were hanging on the Mantus and the wind did pick up. No dragging and you can see from this photo I took afterwords how deep she dug in the sand. The entire fluke was buried. BTW, the anchor in the picture is the 105lb Mantus.

MedSailor
smackdaddy and christian.hess like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 06-09-2014
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
That seems a pretty big anchor for an Alberg 35.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.