Another "Next Generation" anchor enters the market... - Page 28 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree71Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Another "Next Generation" anchor enters the market...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
See if you can find a Rocna or Manson they probably are cheaper and hold just as well. I have a Rocna and Manson and cant tell any difference
Naaa. Go with the Mantus, alc.

As Chef says, if there's no difference in holding power, etc (which I'm not sure is totally correct), you'd be much better served by Mantus. They are a great company and have a great product.
copacabana and alctel like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-31-2014

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Naaa. Go with the Mantus, alc.

As Chef says, if there's no difference in holding power, etc (which I'm not sure is totally correct), you'd be much better served by Mantus. They are a great company and have a great product.
No one disputes they have copied or mimicked a great product. No real proof they have improved it. All are good new gen anchors. Like I said I have both and have first hand knowledge that they are almost identical. The mantis stows apart as my spare with the original new gen the Rocna on my bow.

If I only had one, I would by whichever of then three were the cheapest. All have claims as being better than the other. All unproven except in the advertising of the particular company who is making the statement.

I'm sure Smackdaddy isn't encouraging you to spend more money on the same product the claim really is you would be better served by a Mantus is specious.

Of course Mantus supports and funds Sailnet so you can figure it will get more play here.

Go with the one which you can get at the best price and don't succumb to the hyped language. They are all very similar

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 07-31-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
No one disputes they have copied or mimicked a great product. No real proof they have improved it. All are good new gen anchors. Like I said I have both and have first hand knowledge that they are almost identical. The mantis stows apart as my spare with the original new gen the Rocna on my bow.

If I only had one, I would by whichever of then three were the cheapest. All have claims as being better than the other. All unproven except in the advertising of the particular company who is making the statement.

I'm sure Smackdaddy isn't encouraging you to spend more money on the same product the claim really is you would be better served by a Mantus is specious.

Of course Mantus supports and funds Sailnet so you can figure it will get more play here.

Go with the one which you can get at the best price and don't succumb to the hyped language. They are all very similar
Oh good gravy. Chef, do a little research bro.

Here...I'll help you...prices of each of the anchors you've listed - for the ~45lb/Glavanized version:

Mantus 45lb: $337 (Source: Our own Sailnet store where I bought mine)
Rocna 44lb: $429 (Source: Defender)
Manson Supreme 45lb: $475 (Source: Defender)

So - no - I'm not encouraging alc to spend more money at all. In fact, I'm encouraging him to save $100+ and get a really great anchor from a really great company.

So, alc, as Chef says:

Quote:

Last edited by smackdaddy; 07-31-2014 at 10:41 PM.
Old 07-31-2014
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

I haven't anything good or bad to say about Mantus or Mason anchors, because I haven't used them. I couldn't care less how many times I am shown "test" videos in various bottoms. I don't care who was first, last or somewhere in between, in the development of my anchor.
I care about my boat staying where I anchored it, with as little fuss as possible, no matter what the bottom is, in any weather I encounter.
It has been 2 years now, that our Rocna has done just that. So far, maximum gust has been 65 mph. How many times have we done doughnuts as the wind shifts after a squall? I don't know, but the Rocna has not moved more than it's own length, as far as we can tell. I'm talking about over 700 days/nights at anchor, in that time. In sand, hard mud, loose mud, on flat coral covered by a few inches of sand, in weed and I really don't know what else.
I'm not trying to sell Rocna anchors here, but folks these things do exactly what they are supposed to do, very, very well. The galvanizing hasn't come off at all (unlike my 8 month old, US made hot dip galvanized chain), nor has it bent and our boat weighs something like 77 thousand pounds. I don't have to back down on it and I never have to reset it.
I am overjoyed that those with Mansons and Masons are happy with them, but really, I think the Rocna is just fine, too.
smurphny likes this.

Last edited by capta; 07-31-2014 at 11:22 PM.
Old 07-31-2014

Mantus Anchors is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post
I think I'm going to pick up a Mantus 45 to replace the (rusty, undersized) Danforth that came with my 1980 36' Hunter.

Now if only I could find somewhere in Canada to pick one up from, ordering from the US comes to over 250 bucks just for S+H :<
No Worries... we have a presence in Canada
Check out Ancres
smackdaddy likes this.
Old 07-31-2014

Talking Re: Another "Next Generation" anchor enters the market...

Quote:
Oh good gravy. Chef, do a little research bro.

Here...I'll help you...prices of each of the anchors you've listed - for the ~45lb/Glavanized version:

Mantus 45lb: $337 (Source: Our own Sailnet store where I bought mine)
Rocna 44lb: $429 (Source: Defender)
Manson Supreme 45lb: $475 (Source: Defender)

So - no - I'm not encouraging alc to spend more money at all. In fact, I'm encouraging him to save $100+ and get a really great anchor from a really great company.

So, alc, as Chef says:
I think I'm going to pick up a Mantus 45 to replace the (rusty, undersized) Danforth that came with my 1980 36' Hunter.

Now if only I could find somewhere in Canada to pick one up from, ordering from the US comes to over 250 bucks just for S+H :< posted by alcttel,

It pays to read thoroughly what people write Smacky so by the newer math with s&h that brings the cost to $562 for the Mantus for this particular poster. Beside Defender often has 20% off sales with free shipping which makes both the Rocna and Mason cheaper by a lot.

Again nothing wrong with a Mantus, I have one and think it us similar to the originals Rocna and Manson. Buy the one you can get the cheapest.

Just as a side Smacky....how long have you owned your Mantus and did you ever have a new gen anchor before?

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 08-01-2014
Last Man Standing

Chef - Mantus squared alc away above on the Canada thing - so it's all good.

Oh, and I've followed this subject for years. Coupled with that, I've owned my Mantus long enough to know it's about as good as it gets...

Less expensive, incredible setting and holding power, a straight-shooting company with awesome customer service and warranty...and one that's not afraid to show how their anchor performs side-by-side with the competitors (about the only company I've seen that dares to do that). What's not to like?

Old 08-01-2014

Quote:
Chef - Mantus squared alc away above on the Canada thing - so it's all good.

Oh, and I've followed this subject for years. Coupled with that, I've owned my Mantus long enough to know it's about as good as it gets...

Less expensive, incredible setting and holding power, a straight-shooting company with awesome customer service and warranty...and one that's not afraid to show how their anchor performs side-by-side with the competitors (about the only company I've seen that dares to do that). What's not to like?

Lack of direct answer would indicate you've owned it 6 months. Probably used it maybe 10 times. Also lack of direct answer leads to beleive it's the only new generation anchor you ever owned so you of course it's the best thing compared to sliced bread. That how many of us felt years ago when the Rocna and Manson came out with the New gen anchors which is now being replicated because its design is great for a good all round anchor.

I too not only have followed this for years. Go down the docks. Ask the Rocna owners if the like their anchors and I'll bet almost every one will say its good. The Rocnas and Manson can be had at the same price with free shipping when defender west marine have their sales. Mantus has taken its place next to the two originals, but is no worse or better.

Like I said I own one. I also have their chain hook which is top notch.

My experience with Rocna...I have aNZ one has been A1 . Actually gave had really no reason to call them except for measurements. You just don't like the arrogant owner/ designer.

You of course will need to have the last word as the expert on all so suffice it to say there are other good choices out there and beware of the superior marketing claims of one over another.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 08-01-2014
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
I haven't anything good or bad to say about Mantus or Mason anchors, because I haven't used them. I couldn't care less how many times I am shown "test" videos in various bottoms. I don't care who was first, last or somewhere in between, in the development of my anchor.
I care about my boat staying where I anchored it, with as little fuss as possible, no matter what the bottom is, in any weather I encounter.
It has been 2 years now, that our Rocna has done just that. So far, maximum gust has been 65 mph. How many times have we done doughnuts as the wind shifts after a squall? I don't know, but the Rocna has not moved more than it's own length, as far as we can tell. I'm talking about over 700 days/nights at anchor, in that time. In sand, hard mud, loose mud, on flat coral covered by a few inches of sand, in weed and I really don't know what else.
I'm not trying to sell Rocna anchors here, but folks these things do exactly what they are supposed to do, very, very well. The galvanizing hasn't come off at all (unlike my 8 month old, US made hot dip galvanized chain), nor has it bent and our boat weighs something like 77 thousand pounds. I don't have to back down on it and I never have to reset it.
I am overjoyed that those with Mansons and Masons are happy with them, but really, I think the Rocna is just fine, too.
Now there's a valuable testimony, Nothing like evidence from actual heavy, repeated use. Great post.
Old 08-01-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I am absolutely certain that all new-gen anchors are equally effective. Can I prove it? Nope. I don't even have experience with them all. However, the lack of third party evidence to the contrary is very telling.

How about splitting the tie this way. All new-gen anchors are ugly, imo. Rocna is the least ugly, Mantus is the most ugly.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.