Another "Next Generation" anchor enters the market... - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree71Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Another "Next Generation" anchor enters the market...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Anyone notice that the bolts are not only on the hoop, but also holding the shank to the fluke?

Those are the bolts that would concern me.
Why is everybody so concerned about bolts? Bolts hold most chain-plates on, and hold many a keel in place.....

Boltophobia.....

MedSailor
BluemanSailor likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
OK, here's a question. I picked up a 33# Manta claw for $13 when the local West Marine shut down (yes $13 that's not a typo).

Looking at the Manta chart I figured it would be a good upgrade from the 22#Danforth on the bow now. My boat is a 30' Catalina, 10,300lbs unloaded and the 22# Danforth is supposed to be rated for boats up to 38'.

Manta Size Chart
16.5lb Claw Anchor for Boats 24'-30'
22lb. Claw Anchor for Boats 31'-35'
33lb. Claw Anchor for Boats 36'-40'

Reading this thread got me curious. The size charts for the Lewmar are the same as the Manta, but the charts for the Manson Ray are quite different though it looks like the same design. Is this just a case of Manson being more conservative or is there some real difference?

Manson Size Chart
22lb. Ray Anchor, 18' to 25' Boat Length
33lb. Ray Anchor, 25' to 30' Boat Length
44lb. Ray Anchor, 30' to 40' Boat Length

BTW, no windlass so whatever I put on the bow comes up by hand.

I figure either the Danforth or Manta should be enough anchor for my boat, but from reading I understand the Bruce style anchors are quicker to reset.

Thoughts?
Not ever had our 'Bruce' require resetting I can't say whether they do it quicker or not. I have very rarely experienced real dragging once anchor was set but in both cases I can think of I'm prepared to put the blame on not enough scope. When our CQR dragged in sand it simply never set at all.
Once I've had at least 3:1 plus depth of water plus allowance for freeboard and all chain I've not had any problems including the old CQR.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 03-20-2012

xymotic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
OK, here's a question. I picked up a 33# Manta claw for $13 when the local West Marine shut down (yes $13 that's not a typo).
Are you sure that wasn't Boater's World? West usually ships it to another store.
Old 03-27-2012

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
Are you sure that wasn't Boater's World? West usually ships it to another store.
Yep, West Marine. They were holding it in the back for somebody who never came back to claim it. It was down to the last day or so before they shut down and the manager was playing lets make a deal.

It didn't hurt that I bought a ton of stay-set, three strand dock line, etc.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 03-29-2012
Señor Member

ottos is on a distinguished road

Jim,
What town was that WM in?

Last edited by ottos; 06-26-2012 at 04:15 PM.
Old 06-26-2012

Stumble is on a distinguished road

I actually find anchor recomendations to be grossly undersized, and would always go up at least one step. The problem is that big anchors are expensive, and everyone buys on price. So manufacturers recommendations are the minimum you can get away with...

In addition most anchor recomendations are made for 50kn of wind... Since the force imparted by the wind goes up with the square of wind speed, what will work in 50 may not hold in 60, and will be grossly inadequate at 80kn. So unless you have somewhere to run too in the event of a major storm, a bigger anchor is always better.

This is why for sizing I recommend the biggest anchor you can get back on board, like the Dashew's I am convinced an anchor isn't big enough until people start laughing at you. I also recommend minimal amounts of chain, and putting that weight back into the anchor. The cantenary effect in major storms is a myth, but massive anchor weight isn't.
Old 06-26-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
I actually find anchor recomendations to be grossly undersized, and would always go up at least one step. The problem is that big anchors are expensive, and everyone buys on price. So manufacturers recommendations are the minimum you can get away with....
Why would a manufacturer recommend an undersized anchor? It's in their best interests, both financial and reputation-wise to recommend MORE than you really need.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 06-27-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Most recommendations I have seen are only for 40 knots of wind. Some anchor manufactures do have recommendations for 20 and 60 knot winds too. With most saying if you have a higher windage rig, ie catamaran or big power boat, to upsize also.

In the meantime, if you think the recommendations are too small, Try out this factor if I can type it correctly for the minimum anchor per the local race rules, and minimum of anchor and chain, or all chain!

(LOA/17) 3rd power for max anchor. For my 30' boat, that is 5.5 lbs IIRC, ie (30/17) = 1.7x1.7x1.7 IIRC

min metal total is X squared/80 or 11.25 lbs for my 30' boat,

with adequate sized diam rope at min 150' in length!

Most anchor manufactures are in the 15-25 lb range for a 30' boat like mine. Depending upon the style etc. Danforths seem to be a bit lighter in recommendation vs a claw/spade style. Aluminum danforths are as light as 7 or 11 lbs for my boat manufacture recommended.

Marty
Old 06-27-2012

denverd0n is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Why would a manufacturer recommend an undersized anchor? It's in their best interests, both financial and reputation-wise to recommend MORE than you really need.
Well, yes and no. They want to make the sale. That means that they want to convince you that their anchors are better than the next guy. If they can sell you on the idea that a 30 lbs. anchor of theirs, which costs $200, is as good as the 40 lbs. anchor of the other kind, which costs $275, then you are more likely to buy their anchor.

So they kind of have paradoxical incentives--both to sell you a bigger anchor, and to convince you that you don't need a bigger anchor.
Old 06-27-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Most recommendations I have seen are only for 40 knots of wind. Some anchor manufactures do have recommendations for 20 and 60 knot winds too. With most saying if you have a higher windage rig, ie catamaran or big power boat, to upsize also.

In the meantime, if you think the recommendations are too small, Try out this factor if I can type it correctly for the minimum anchor per the local race rules, and minimum of anchor and chain, or all chain!

(LOA/17) 3rd power for max anchor. For my 30' boat, that is 5.5 lbs IIRC, ie (30/17) = 1.7x1.7x1.7 IIRC

min metal total is X squared/80 or 11.25 lbs for my 30' boat,

with adequate sized diam rope at min 150' in length!

Most anchor manufactures are in the 15-25 lb range for a 30' boat like mine. Depending upon the style etc. Danforths seem to be a bit lighter in recommendation vs a claw/spade style. Aluminum danforths are as light as 7 or 11 lbs for my boat manufacture recommended.

Marty
When Bruce made recreational anchors their web site spec'd a 10 kilo (22 LB) working anchor and a 20 kilo (44 LB) storm anchor for my 22,000 Lb Columbia 43.

I've seen people successfully anchor a 30 footer in a sheltered cove with a 2 1/2 kilo Bruce.

Unless you are a world cruiser, sizing your anchor for over 50 knots of wind is just creating work for Osteopaths and physiotherapists.

Of course, around here, there are hurricane holes everywhere.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.